[RESOLVED] Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 07:29 pm
I keep getting the message that update cannot be installed because AntiSpyware can't connect to the Internet, even though I am connected to the Interrnet via Firefox at the time.

Has anyone else had this problem, and how did you deal with it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 732 • Replies: 16
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 09:03 pm
Might be Firefox - try closing all instances of Microsoft Antispyware and Firefox, then reopen MSAS with no instance of Firefox open, click "File" then click "Check for updates" and see what happens.

Oh, yeah ... you prolly hafta permit MSAS Update to pass through your firewall, too.

And a last FYI - MSAS is slated to be renamed Windows Defender, and to receive additional security/privacy functionality.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 09:10 am
I was wondering about the Firefox possibility; I'll try your suggestions and let you know.

"Windows Defender"?!?! Sounds like something the Pentagon might dream up.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 09:11 am
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta
I was wondering about the Firefox possibility; I'll try your suggestions and let you know.

0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 09:16 am

0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 09:27 am

0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 10:46 am
Sorry about the quadruple posting. I kept getting a strange mssage that the words in my post weren't recognized, and trying again.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 10:47 am
Sorry about the quadruple posting. I kept getting a strange mssage that the words in my post weren't recognized: "Could not insert
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 10:48 am
Sorry about the quadruple posting. I kept getting a strange message that the words in my post weren't recognized: "Could not insert new word matches. DEBUG MODE".
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 10:49 am
Sorry about the quadruple posting. I kept getting a strange message that the words in my post weren't recognized: "Could not insert new word matches. DEBUG MODE. SQL error.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 11:01 am
Oh Lord, not again!
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 11:03 am
What's going on? Here's what A2K told me when I tried submitting the previous message:

Could not insert new word matches

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1016 Can't open file: 'phpbb_search_wordmatch.MYI'. (errno: 145)

INSERT INTO phpbb_search_wordmatch (post_id, word_id, title_match) SELECT 1664455, word_id, 0 FROM phpbb_search_wordlist WHERE word_text IN ('lord', 'again')

Line : 251
File : functions_search.php
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 08:07 pm
Don't fret none about the multi-posting; there's been a rash of that sorta thing recently, due to a website glitch, which appears to be resolved for the moment, though no real surprise should attach to its recurrence. As I understand things, planned website changes should deal with that and other issues, though I can't offer any sort of timetable or concrete details.

One other suggestion here, re MSAS; failure-to-update is a frequently mentioned glitch with MSAS; the commonly recommended, and apparently most often successful, fix is to unintall it, clear all caches and temp files, reboot, and reinstall it from a fresh download.
0 Replies

himug

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 09:48 am
MS Antispy Beta
Miscrosoft update page would only allow me to download updates by using Internet Explorer, you could try make IE main browser just for Microsoft downloads, instead of Mozilla firefox.

Worth a try Very Happy
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 10:04 am
Yeah, even if you don't use it, you should keep Internet Explorer - and keep it updated; you need it for Microsoft updates, and for functionality on Microsoft web features, such as online scans, if for nothing else.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 01:37 pm
I went straight to IE, and downloaded the MSAS Beta which worked like a charm. Very Happy

BTW - I just can't get over the speed of downloading now that I've given up the phone modem.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 01:40 pm
Cool - glad it seems to be working out for you. And yeah, broadband beats helloutta dialup, don't it?
0 Replies