Timeline: 1 to 1500 C.E.

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 12:59 pm
yes, it is. you just have to give it a few minutes to reappear after you post.

another thing that shouldn't be missing is 1389: Battle of Kosovo Polje, beginning of Ottoman invasions into Europe. Centuries of defending Christendom by Serbs, Hungarians, Austrians and others... 1389 is the key year in the Balkans to this day.
0 Replies

jstark

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:43 pm
I always liked Kurt Vonnegut's line commenting on how in the future the Galactic Archives, ever expanding, needed to condense our era to the following line:

"After the death of Jesus, Earth experienced a brief period of unrest that lasted for two thousand years."

Sorry no help, but I couldn't resist Smile But I guess it would leave time for questions.

Great info in the thread.

-J
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 10:10 pm
Laughing

I keep adding bits and more bits in what I'm going to hand out. I think it's fascinating, the kids will probably yawn. Hopefully I can make it animated enough, as I run back and forth across the room to the corners representing Europe and the Middle East detailing what was happening in each, to keep their attention. My last two additions were the determination of the official canon by the Council of Rome in 382 and the completion of the Vulgate in 400.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 08:49 pm
It went quite well. I had the kids choose which continent they wanted to visit and then ran back and forth having them act out the items on the timeline. I read through the entire timeline but Jesus spread the word, then Paul took over, then Constantine called the Council of Nicea and demanded unanimous agreement under penalty of death, etc. They stayed involved and we covered everything on the list in about 30 minutes. Thanks for all your help and input. On to the Reformation... Smile
0 Replies