2012 Olympics in NYC

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 10:15 pm
What do you all think of New York City being selected as the US's nominee for the 2012 Olympics?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,605 • Replies: 8
No top replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 10:12 am
NY stands a good chance of winning because of 9-11-01.
It's a city I like very much, but I can't imagine how will the prices rise, specially for tourists.
Also, I see San Francisco more as a sporty city than NY. New York seems more for theatre, music, partying, business than sports.

In any case, even if it would be more confortable, for an Olympics fan like myself, to go to NY, I prefer other countries to win: the US has been host too many times recently, and every time American nationalistic athmosphere has prevailed over the usual Olympic "it's so good that the world gathered here" attitude.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 12:26 pm
I'd like to see NY get the boon in tourism but would also like to see the Olympics played elsewhere.

Since the Q was about the US nominee, I'd give it to NY based on what it has suffered, but then again remember the Olympic bombing. It would also bring complexities.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 02:15 pm
Oof, I can't see holding the Olympics in NYC. It's tough enough to get across town now without factoring in thousands of people, many of whom might not speak such terrific English, trying to do the same (I understand some events would be held on the West Side whereas others would be held in Central Park). Unless they could somehow do water taxis and clear off large city blocks, I see it as an enormous transportation nightmare. San Francisco has its own issues with transportation (narrow streets and huge hills), but I think NYC has it worse.

Then again, my in-laws could possibly haul in some cash by renting out my husband's old room. Hmmm.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 08:06 pm
My son is already dreading the commute into his job at the NYSE. I'm not sure it would work, either, with adding all the visitors and the athletes to all the residents and commuters. Will be interesting to see how the planning works out over the next couple of years.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 07:30 pm
Unfortunately the Olympic ideal will be finally dead and buried by then. It will happen in Beijjing where China will use performance enhancing drugs to win more medals and break more records than has ever been done before.
0 Replies

ncnf

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 03:37 pm
NYC does not deserve the 2012 Olympics
NYS does not deserve to get the 2012 Olympics.

The reason is, is that NYS's own juniors are restricted from participating in about half of the Olympic's second largest venue - Marksmanship.

In NYS, we can have marksmen from around the world and from all other states, but our own youths are restricted from all pistol events.

Additionally, NYS law and NYC administrative code, makes it near impossible for any marksmen to bring their firearms here.

New york State is not friendly to the shooting sports.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 08:26 pm
Hey, I'm just thinking of all the events we could have in Washington Square Park. . . especially those shooting sports ncnf was talking about. . .

And the sprints, TOTALLY across fourth ave. at rush hour. . . hurdles over the bags of trash that get put out three days early. . . and given our recent rash of subway surfers, I can see diving happening there. . . swimming events will of course happen on top of the scaffoldings that hold water for an UNGODLY amount of time (like a week after it's last rained). . .

So why wouldn't that work? ;-)
0 Replies

cheley05

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 09:31 pm
2012 olympics location
i think that it would be cool 2 go 2 NYC for the olympics because i really want 2 see New York and see gymnastics and just have fun!
0 Replies