Dreams

stuh505

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 12:50 pm
Dream logic is the best:

1 + x = Apple, therefore, e = mc^2 + Apple!!! I'm a genius!

In my dream this would make perfect sense. I would wake up and immediately grab a pad of paper to write down the most important realization of my life...
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 09:53 pm
Interesting thought there - about dreams. I had never looked at it
in that way before.
I have very strong beliefs regarding the sanctity of dreams. That dreams are a teaching device for us earthly bound creatures. Also,
in the way that our entire lives are divided up of waking and sleeping,
waking and dreaming; that perhaps the correlation there extends beyond
what is superficial. Imagine one brief lifetime compared with eternity.
Eternity is a concept that is nearly unfathomable isn't it? What is one
brief lifetime of 70 - 80 years in comparison to eternity. It could be
that our "life" as we know it is, actually, naught but a dream itself.
And at the moment of our death, we awaken and we remember that
all the while, we were ONLY DREAMING. It makes so much sense when
we are faced with those difficult questions like how could a loving Creator
have allowed us to suffer the loss of a loved one. The cruel & savage
greed of wars - losses of those we love - senseless deaths; so many
many things that cause us to question our Creator. Would we ask
such questions if we knew that in truth, this is all just a dream.
Sometimes a very good one, and sometimes a genuine nightmare.
But ALL of it, every single bit of it could just as easily be only a dream.
Row row row your boat
Gently down the stream,
Merrily merrily merrily merrily,
Life is but a dream.
Imagine all the possibilities.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 09:46 am
Last night I dreamt I was in a coffee shop with two friends and we were discussing something of great importance. Somehow I knew I was asleep and I didn't want them to know so I acted as "awake" as I could. However, I spilled my coffee while looking for the cream and sugar.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 10:51 am
Nice question.

I think it is the Aborigines who believe they are "being dreamed". With this rationale why shouldn't we ascribe "sentience" to our own dream images especially when they "surprise us"?
(I once woke my self and my wife up by laughing at a joke told to me by one of my dream characters).
0 Replies

quex144

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 09:58 pm
A few years ago I awoke to the notion of a new sportscar, and the frantic attempt at locating the keys ensued. Needless to say the dream was quite potent, and yes, I was given a new Ferrari- one of my favorites to top it off. From what I recall as I write this, the dream was true to the touch; the beach, the sun overhead, and the car- all too real.

I believe it was Evans that wrote about dreams as a defragmentation process of sorts: memories, or fragmented memories that is, crossing through this neural network of ours and intertwined for brief periods during REM sleep.

Any thoughts?
0 Replies

quex144

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 12:58 am
Have you ever imagined reading a book in your dream you have never picked up before, only to find that the subject of the text, which you obtained while dreaming, was correct? Shocked
0 Replies

solorebellion

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 02:08 pm
material girl wrote:
Im gona be grabbing a dictionary and finding out what sentient means.

lol, thats exaclty what I did when I read it, before even continuing. wiktionary.org is my favorite dictionary.
0 Replies

solorebellion

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 02:23 pm
Lots of interesting thoughts come to mind.

First, if we are gods in our dreams, then who is the god of the dream we are in, and what does that entail?

Second, since lucid dreams seem to be the most memorable, perhaps the unification of dream and reality is the pinacle of existance.

Third, perhaps people use drugs in an attempt to unify reality and dreams. Maybe that's the right idea?!

Last, it seems that when we are futhest away from reality we are having the most fun. Dreams could just be the most effecient way to have fun. Dreaming could be the highest high around.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 03:14 pm
I had a lucid dream in which I was running with two friends. I thought to myself, "I know I am dreaming but with all this exercise how could I possibly be getting any rest?" Even though I know I'm dreaming I still feel reality behind it.
0 Replies

Deler

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 10:23 pm
I've had an idea somewhat similar to this now that I think about it. I've often times wondered if my entire existance is simply the creation or product of an alien being (sentient for you crafty folks). Perhaps everything I experience is simply a vhs recording for one of these beings, an existence kept on call for them to share amongst eachother.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 12:31 am
Damn! Deler figured it out. Now we'll have to change everything!
0 Replies

ktrocky

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 07:59 pm
nutters....im guessing your all joking? Wink
0 Replies

Deler

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 07:18 pm
I wouldn't say figured it out, more along the lines of an idea slightly related. The thought of an entity from some other place and time takeing the form of your existance if even for a blink of it's eye is one I find fascinateing, the idea that your existance may be repeated over and over is also another I enjoy. A being which chooses to shed it's existance to experience yours, isn't that something you would try given the chance.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 08:28 pm
It could make for a nice book or movie, but not a philosophy Razz
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 10:28 pm
I write down my dreams and try to understand them.

I recently had a dream about a mate of mine that I haven't seen (although we write) for nearly two years. This friend is alive today and so far I haven't mentioned my dream to him at all.
This is it:

I wake up and leave my bed. I go into my living room. It is freezing cold and full of shadows. I see my friend lying stiffly on the floor, on his back, arms straight down at his sides. He is wearing dark clothing. Maybe a suit. He is covered in powdery mould. The type that grows on oranges if you leave them too long. Pale blue and foul smelling. At this point I am very afraid as I kneel down and kiss him lightly on the temple.
The powdery mould gets into my mouth and nose. I start to gag and choke. Fear turns to very sharp revulsion But then, as I wake up for real, something (I can't grasp what) strikes me funny. It's as if I've suddenly understood the joke.

But I don't understand any of it.

Any takers?

After careful thought, I've accepted that the dream has nothing to do with foreseeing or wishing for my friend's death, unacknowledged homosexuality or a secret coke habit. But what has it got to do with? Anything?

Endy
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 11:08 pm
Endy,

I'm gonna have a lil fun with your dream. I don't do this for a living, but here goes.

I would say your dream is about latent parts of yourself that haven't been given a lot of attention lately. You may be ignoring something important in your life, or having feelings that are as of yet on a conscious level. Your friend maybe represents some of these qualities to you. Right now, you haven't seen that friend in quite a while, so maybe you are missing that person or parts of yourself that come out when you are with him.
I would say you laughed when you woke up because you realised the dream was not 'negative' but rather a reminder of good things you have been missing. Now you can explore it.
Maybe arrange to see your mate! Very Happy
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 07:14 am
Sounds logical and acceptable, flushd.
Good one. Smile

Have a peaceful holiday everyone,

Endy
0 Replies