labours of hercules (heracles)

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 07:19 am
I am trying to find the names of any dogs that Hercules killed during his 12 labours, obviously there is Cerberus, but were there any others?? Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,431 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Francis

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 07:33 am
Hercules didn't kill but capture and brought Cerberus to Eurystheus...
0 Replies

justaclue

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 12:59 pm
Ok, thanks for that, but in that case please can you tell me the names of any dogs that he did kill while doing the 12 labours!!!!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 02:13 pm
During his tenth labour, Hercules killed Orthros, Geryon's watchdog.
0 Replies

justaclue

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 02:29 am
Thanks, we meet yet again!!
Can you then help me with this, if it is Orthros, can you connect that name with a genus of spiders from southeast Asia???? Very Happy
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 03:56 am
A new species of jumping spider, Orthrus calilungae (Araneae: Salticidae) from Luzon Island, Philippines.

(Orthros is sometimes spelled Orthrus).
0 Replies

gbob

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 07:23 am
the dogs he killed included rover, fluffy and rex
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 08:56 am
By the by, Hercules is the Latin spelling, but the romanized version of the Greek name is Herakles, not Heracles (i know you can find it spelled with a "c" online, but there is no "c" in the Greek alphabet, and using that spelling marks you out as clueless by those who have actually studied ancient history). The Heraklids were an ancient Attic clan, which produced many of the prominent public men of Athens. The Athenians, in fact, considered their city to have been founded by "the sons of Herakles," and claimed that these sons of Herakles had subdued the Doric Greeks, and lead them in the invasion of the Greek penninsulas. The Heraklids were most important in the history of Athens in the Archaic and the Classic periods of Greek history, roughly 700-350 BCE (the Classical period ends with the conquest of Greece by Philip II of Macedon). The most famous Herakles was an Athenian statesman, philosopher and soldier who lived between 600 and 500 BCE (i think, i don't have a source ready to hand). One of my favorite quotes is from that Herakles: No man ever crosses the same river twice, for the river changes, and so does the man.
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 05:53 am
Setanta wrote:
By the by, Hercules is the Latin spelling, but the romanized version of the Greek name is Herakles, not Heracles (i know you can find it spelled with a "c" online, but there is no "c" in the Greek alphabet, and using that spelling marks you out as clueless by those who have actually studied ancient history). The Heraklids were an ancient Attic clan, which produced many of the prominent public men of Athens. The Athenians, in fact, considered their city to have been founded by "the sons of Herakles," and claimed that these sons of Herakles had subdued the Doric Greeks, and lead them in the invasion of the Greek penninsulas. The Heraklids were most important in the history of Athens in the Archaic and the Classic periods of Greek history, roughly 700-350 BCE (the Classical period ends with the conquest of Greece by Philip II of Macedon). The most famous Herakles was an Athenian statesman, philosopher and soldier who lived between 600 and 500 BCE (i think, i don't have a source ready to hand). One of my favorite quotes is from that Herakles: No man ever crosses the same river twice, for the river changes, and so does the man.

You are right on this. Adding that the Greek name of ''Hercules'' is Iraklis.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 01:05 pm
Hercules killed dogs? We must report this to the SPCA!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 01:18 pm
He just killed one.. and it was very small.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 03:41 pm
NickFun--

As I remember Hercules also killed a number of his children in a divine fit of madness.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 03:50 pm
Set, the "no man can cross the same river twice" quote is generally attributed to Heraclitus (or Heraklitus, if you prefer).
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 03:53 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Set, the "no man can cross the same river twice" quote is generally attributed to Heraclitus (or Heraklitus, if you prefer).

Wasn't it Herakliturix? :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 03:54 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:

And Heraclitus is the Latin version of the Greek name usually rendered in the Roman alphabet as Herakles. Or, as our new Greek member, Ellinas has it, Iraklis.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 03:55 pm
Francis wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:

Was he not a cousin germain of Obelix? Or was that a German cousin . . .
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 03:57 pm
Setanta wrote:
Francis wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:

Was he not a cousin germain of Obelix? Or was that a German cousin . . .

Second cousin, once removed, of Asterix and related by marriage to Aviatrix.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 04:00 pm
I knew an aviatrix once't . . . you cannot imagine the contortions of which that woman was capable . . .
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 04:01 pm
You mean Hera had a Kliturix like an Obelix? Freudianish question (or Kantianish)...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 04:04 pm
Francis wrote:
You mean Hera had a Kliturix like an Obelix? Freudianish question (or Kantianish)...

Well, she was a goddess, after all . . .
0 Replies