They do?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 09:42 am
Yep!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 10:00 am
Someone with the moniker "Bobsal", I believe, tried to sign up for A2K. Looks like this person, with this moniker , is not listed as a member of A2K.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 03:52 pm
Well, that's a relief! Thought I never could figure out the story behind Bobsal on Abuzz. Was it one person, and lots of imposters? If the latter, why? It's not a question that keeps me up nights, I assure you, but I'm vaguely curious, if anyone knows the answer...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 05:52 pm
There is/was a real bobsal, who had/has lots of imposters and did/does a lot of impostering. There are some die-hard Abuzzards I miss ... but lots I don't. I think, personally, The Big Slide started when we lost Mary Pope. I stuck it out a long time thereafter, but now I rarely visit and even more rarely do I post. Its sorta like seeing an old freind who's become a slobbering, twitching, greasy-haired junkie.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 05:59 pm
What a very apt description, Timber.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 08:12 pm
I've been putting off posting this, but since this kind of thread seems to continue to appear every now and then with the same posters appearing, I think I'll chime in.

Many of us were happy at Abuzz, some of us still are. Some of us have friends who have chosen to stay at Abuzz; some without trying A2K, some after trying A2K.

In the early days of A2K, when some people at Abuzz posted less than flattering comments about A2K and the founding members, members of A2K zoomed to Abuzz and protested. I think it is only fair, that as comments about A2K on Abuzz have subsided, that we leave Abuzz alone here. I know that I find it quite difficult to read posts such as timber's above, when I know that very good, kind, interesting and literate people are still posting at Abuzz.

Abuzz isn't perfect. I think everyone can agree with that. A2K site serves a great purpose for a number of people, but is not perfect for everyone either.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 08:18 pm
beth there is a big difference between stating an ouright lie (that A2K member were impostoring other on Abuzz and posting links to A2K on Abuzz) and opining about the quality of a site.

I have no qualm with those who have valid criticisms about A2K, none at all. The protesting on Abuzz was due to certain people accusing myself and others here of impostoring Abuzz members and posting A2K links on Abuzz. This accusation was made on Abuzz and through email lists.

Once again, a false accusation of a malicious variety is a horse of a different color.

I too think that complaining about Abuzz is beating a dead horse. You will not find me ranting About Abuzz on A2K, but I would like to point out that on Abuzz malicious lies were posted about this site, not just comments about quality.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 08:22 pm
Another key difference was that on Abuzz accusations that A2K members were disloyal were also made. Again, that is a big difference from simply opining about the quality of a site.

I don't think anyone here is making the case that those who post on Abuzz should not be.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 08:27 pm
Craven, you know as well as I do that the relationship between Abuzz and A2K is a complicated one. I'm hoping we can all learn to just let both sites co-exist. The fussing on the other side seems to mostly have died down.

I come to A2K, and Abuzz, comparatively infrequently now, and i was sad to see 2 threads referencing Abuzz in the first page of threads to catch up on. I'd been ignoring these threads for a while, but ...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 08:32 pm
Don't get me wrong, I was quite upset at the "forced marriage" as I termed it. I made this site to be a substitute for the Raven's Realm. I too wish there were no Abuzz/A2K rivalry or comparisons. I just wanted to comment that the negative comments on Abuzz were ignored until someo impostored my name and jespah's name and others accused A2K members of impostoring and wreaking havok on Abuzz.

Basically we are on the same page, I didn't like the complaints about Abuzz while I was on Abuzz and I feel the same way here. But I just wanted to make the distinction between the allegations posted on Abuzz and the kvetching herein.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 09:14 pm
As you know, Beth, I am also distressed when I find people here casting crap on Abuzz. Largely, putting my professional hat on for a moment, even though it doesn't fit me here, I think it occurs as a way of dealing with a difficult decision to leave Abuzz that a number of people who moved here have made - that is that people denigrate in order to deal with the sadness and so on that giving up on Abuzz caused.

It HAS almost stopped happening - I think it occurs again when some newer ex or current Abuzzers join this site - and I wish it would stop entirely, because I think it IS bad when people come here and find it.

Of course, people are free to post here whatever they wish about Abuzz - I am only expressing my personal feelings about it, not attempting to gag anyone's comments!

Abuzz was my first real internet experience - it will always have a special place in my feelings and memory - I hope it continues.
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 11:24 pm
Craven, I think A2K is great.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 11:26 pm
I'll second that Violet :-D
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 11:44 pm
i never understood why people compare the two or feel the need to defend one or the other. a2k (with all due respect for cdk and jespah) and abuzz are just two sites on the world wide web.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 06:14 am
I had a very peculiar emotional reaction this morning. Sometimes, just for the hell of it, I sign in to Abuzz. I took one look this morning, and thought that I had fallen into a sewer. The place made me feel dirty. I quickly "ran" back to A2K!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 06:21 am
pueo- I think that comparisons are inevitable. A large nucleus on A2K was originally on Abuzz. I would suspect that A2K would not exist if Abuzz had lived up to its potential.

Many Abuzzards had been extremely emotionally connected to the site. If you recall, there was a long thread at the beginning of A2K called "Abuzz Guilt". Many members felt that they were "traitors" for leaving Abuzz.

To assuage the guilt members (including me) will go back to the site, and see how badly it has deteriorated. That will reinforce the idea that we left Abuzz for a good reason.
0 Replies