Abuzz as a sinister video game

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 03:12 pm
Visit Abuzz and scan through the interactions created today. What do you think?

Sometimes I wonder if Abuzz's NYT affiliation is what attracts many of its members. I imagine that for some folks Abuzz is the perfect place to stick it to the Liberals. It's like a Kick-a-Lefty video game with no rules where the object is to win at all costs for the right to gloat. The "Lefties" fight back dirty to be sure...

Crazy stuff...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,439 • Replies: 63
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 03:21 pm
It's a pretty sad spectacle, all right. Makes me wonder why certain people (I'll name no names) continue to post there, despite the bashing they get by angry right wingers. There's some weird S/M overtones over there these days, for sure...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 03:26 pm
I hung with Abuzz for longer than many but in the end, how long is putting peanut butter on the dog's nose amusing?
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 03:29 pm
Bear, I'm surprised you hung around as long as you did, considering the abuse you got.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 03:59 pm
Vi, Big 'Un:

Y'all are making me crack up, and I haven't even gone over there to look.

(I'm in one of our satellite offices this week, which means I'm stuck with a dial-up connection, which means posting and even reading in here is restricted.)

The only thing that has EVER consistently bothered me about that site is the wretched red "Error". That and the outages.

I'm going to have to enter the next chapter of massagaga's "I Being a Spy" sometime this weekend. Other than the occasional sadistical, satirical jab, I don't play much at all over there any more. It just feels like too much of a waste of time, which is, I believe, the point Bear was making.
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 04:06 pm
Heya PDiddie! Smile I'm glad to see that you're here too.

There's too much friction on Abuzz for anything rational to happen. It still does have a freak show can't-look-away-from-a-car-accident kind of charm. Even that gets old quick though...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 04:24 pm
The spamming and viciousness on Abuzz knows no political boundaries.

In fact, I've posted questions like "How far can you spit?" and gotten spammed. So go figure.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 09:22 pm
Violet, abuse on Abuzz is like being bitten by a toothless snake.

Squinney did not disable her account like I did although she never posts, so I went over for a peak this evening and the same losers are up to the same tricks, it's just not amusing anymore.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 09:26 pm
abuzz has been a drag for me for months. Since I started posting here regularly, I've slowly stopped posting at abuzz at all. It's a shame.... so many good posts in the abuzz archives....

Violet - I love the image of the ultra-right video game!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 09:41 am
I agree. Abuzz went crazy a long time ago due to the lack of staff. Very sad because it use to be a great site many moons ago.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 09:46 am
After what the Times did to ABuzz, I can honestly say that I have little respect for the NYTImes or Boston.com.
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 09:48 am
It has some technical flaws that make moderating it difficult. I know they just abandoned it, but it gives the appearance that it's so liberal that absolutely anything goes! LOL
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 09:49 am
What amazes me is that the NY Times logo still appears on the Abuzz site. Here's a newspaper that prides itself as the best in the nation (which it arguably is), the newspaper of record, yet it supports (at least by implication) a web site that often resembles the writing on the tiles of a public toilet.

It borders on the inexplicable...
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 09:50 am
About 2+ years ago, Abuzz has paid moderators, who disabled accounts 24hr per day. Why the Times let Abuzz go to pot is more than I'll ever understand.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 09:51 am
I think Boston.com runs Abuzz now. Remember the Times bought the Boston Globe.
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 09:51 am
I agree, D'artagnan, did you notice that the NYT logo was missing for about a week or so? I wonder what that was about? Now the logo is back after the latest crash.

I thought they were trying to disown it Smile
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 09:54 am
Many of the posters, during the day time on Abuzz, are State and City employees in Boston, who have lots of free time to play on the computer, at Taxpayers expense.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 09:55 am
I don't check Abuzz with any frequency and I disabled my account a few months ago just so I wouldn't be tempted to log on. But I do look at the site from time to time, and I did see the NYT logo there. It's weird if it disappears and then reappears. What's up with that, I wonder?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 09:59 am
The site is acting up. That's all. The TImes/Globe still own Abuzz, for what it's worth.
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 09:59 am
I have a feeling it was a symptom that it was getting sick and grinding to a halt.

Sometimes I wonder if Abuzz is really a devious sociology project, dreamed up by people I wouldn't want to meet Wink
0 Replies