Mythology Help - Gardens or Paradise

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 06:26 am
I need some help with finding names for mythological gardens or places of paradise.

I already know about Arcadia, Eden and Elysion (the Elysian Fields), but I need some more of cultures. Could somebody help me out here?

Names of mythological places of refuge would also be helpful.

Thank you for any help rendered.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,999 • Replies: 10
No top replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 11:55 am
Wolf,
You may also have heard of "Valhalla" from Norse mythology. It would be a mythical "place of refuge" where heroes who have died in battle are taken. These dead warriors are being prepared by the god "Odin" for a future apocalyptic battle.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 12:13 pm
from Wikipedia:

Quote:
Shangri-La

Shangri-La is a fictional place described in the novel, Lost Horizon, written by British writer James Hilton in 1933. In it, "Shangri-La" is a mystical, harmonious valley, gently guided from a lamasery, enclosed in the western end of the Himalaya. Shangri-La has become synonymous with any earthly paradise but particularly a mythical Himalayan utopia - a permanently happy land, isolated from the outside world. The story of Shangri-La is based on the concept of Shambhala, a mystical city in the Buddhist religion.

Several possible places in the Buddhist Himalaya between north India and Western China have been suggested as the actual basis for Hilton's legend. In China, Tao Qian of the Jin Dynasty described a Shangri-La in his Story of the Peach Blossom Valley, for example. The legendary Kun Lun Mountains offer other possible Shangri-La valleys. There are also a number of modern Shangri-La pseudo-legends that have developed since 1933 in the wake of the novel and the film made from it.

Also:
Cockaigne
El Dorado

Google search will probably lead to others.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 03:52 pm
You might google Cockaigne. Also, Coronado was searching for the Seven Cities of Cibola when he explored Tejas and the southwest of North America--these were said to be cities of gold. A favorite topic of the middle ages was not a place, but a person. Try googling Prester John.

If i think of any more, i'll drop them off.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 12:33 pm
There is also Tir Na Nog or "land of the Young" for Irish legends
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 01:38 pm
Avalon, or the Blressed Isles of the West, to which King Arthur's body was borne after his unfortunate run-in with his nephew/son Mordred. I believe Merlyn wound up in the same vanue.

And what was it in Tolkein's Middle Earth? Help me out here, someone.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 07:10 pm
According to the Silmarillion, the Eldar (the elves) were all entitled to return to Valinor, the home of those members of the Ainur sent to form middle earth. It is to that which perhaps you refer, M.A.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 07:47 pm
Valinor it is. Thanks, Set. Too lazy to reach up and get my copy of the Silmarilion, which is aproximately 2.5 feet from where I am sitting at this writing.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 08:54 pm
I applaud you your dedicated lassitude, Boss . . .
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 05:53 am
Of course! Avalon! How could I forget about Avalon?

Oh, by the way, El Dorado actually refers to a person rather than a land per se.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 09:25 pm
Atlantis was supposed to be a pretty ritzy place.
0 Replies