What Londoners don't do, never!

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 04:30 pm
Just read it in the Evening Standard:

10 THINGS REAL LONDONERS NEVER DO

1. Visit Oxford Street on a Saturday. Or Trafalgar Square on New Year's Eve. Or an Angus Steak House, ever.

2. Stand on the left on escalators.

3. Feed pigeons.

4. Make eye contact.

5. Go to see The Mousetrap, the Trooping of the Colour or the Lord Mayors's Show.

6. Use the phrases "apples and pears" or "Johnny Horner" to refer to anything but apples, pears and someone whose name actually is Johnny Horner.

7. Buy anything with a Union Jack or the word "London" on it, even in the spirit of irony.

8. Gawk at famous people.

9. Get into a white stretch limo.

10. Move to the suburbs.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,938 • Replies: 49
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 04:46 pm
11Learn to cook a proper breakfast
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 05:03 pm
as a tourist I made the mistake of standing on the left side of the escalator
and got yelled at by this woman to 'read the sign' as she was almost stampeding over me, I was like "what fricken sign??" then I saw this little thing in the middle of the escalators..... Shocked
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 05:07 pm
Re: What Londoners don't do, never!
Walter Hinteler wrote:

LOL

They won't push either, likely related to 4.

And while they might not feed the pigeons, they have a penchant for feeding waterfowl.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 05:39 pm
its all true

except there is no such thing as a real londoner.

Seriously London must be the most cosmopolitan city on the planet.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 06:02 pm
Apparently, another thing these crazy Londoners do....

Collective Synchronization Walking and Resonate with Bridges!!!!

Quote:
REVEALED: Why London's Millennium Bridge wobbled
By Patricia Reaney
Wed Nov 2, 1:08 PM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - A natural phenomenon rather than a design fault caused London's Millennium Bridge to wobble and sway, forcing its closure just two days after opening in 2000.

The elegant pedestrian walkway was conceived as a blade of light linking the south bank of the River Thames to the City of London.

But as large crowds walked across the steel structure on opening day in June 2000, the 320-meter long bridge swayed from side to side because of a phenomenon known as collective synchronisation.

"The phenomenon was that people who were walking at random, at their own favorite speed, not organized in any way spontaneously synchronized," said Steven Strogatz, of Cornell University in Ithaca, New York.

"That's the phenomenon. Why did they all start moving in step? They did it unconsciously. That is what nobody had thought about and engineers did not anticipate."

The applied mathematician and expert on the phenomenon said collective synchronisation is now something engineers will have to consider when designing bridges.

He and colleagues at Cornell and other universities in the United States, Britain and Germany have devised a theory based on what happened to the Millennium Bridge to estimate how much damping or stabilization is needed in footbridges.

Their findings are published in the science journal Nature.

"We think our theory will provide some guidance to help engineers avoid the problem," Strogatz said in an interview.

Certain coincidences must occur for collective synchronisation to occur. In the case of London's wobbly bridge, it was large crowds walking across a flexible footbridge that vibrated at a frequency of one cycle per second, which just happened to be the same frequency as humans walking.

"The people were resonating with the bridge," said Strogatz.

As the bridge started to move, people would get in step with the sway to steady themselves. They widened their stance to make it more comfortable to walk and inadvertently made the wobbling worse.

"A lot of people were blaming it on the beautiful innovative structure, the design of the Millennium Bridge itself, which was a radical design," said Strogatz.

"But that is not true."

Collective synchronisation occurs in nature when crickets start chirping in unison. In some parts of the world, fireflies blink on and off in perfect synchrony like a Christmas tree. The monthly cycles of women living together have also been known to synchronize.

"It is always very striking and almost spooky because it is like order coming out of chaos," said Strogatz.

After 5 million pounds worth of modifications to steady the structure and 20 months of closure, the Millennium Bridge successfully reopened in February 2002.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 07:24 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
its all true

except there is no such thing as a real londoner.

Seriously London must be the most cosmopolitan city on the planet.

Steve, New York would give it a run for its money. If you're ever in New York and meet a 'New Yorker' who was actually born there, you've met a rare bird indeed. Nine out of ten 'New Yorkers' have settled there since coming of age.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 02:17 am
12. Smile
13. Be polite
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:03 am
I think thats all a bit off, Ive been to London an number of times this year and they dont act any differently to anywhere else.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 09:19 am
So, Prince, you must not consider yourself a real Londoner then...
0 Replies

Dutched Pinay

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 02:02 pm
Re: What Londoners don't do, never!
Piffka wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:

LOL. They won't push either, likely related to 4.

And while they might not feed the pigeons, they have a penchant for feeding waterfowl.

They also have this rule in Madrid. I got pushed one time until my friend told me to stick to the right.

There is no rule like this tough in Amsterdam.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 02:10 pm
well you dont have escalators in Amsterdam, its all flat with canals Smile
0 Replies

Dutched Pinay

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 02:19 pm
Hehe. Well they do have in the train stations though!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 02:54 pm
what!!!???

you have railway stations? Amazed.

Is there a rule of the canals btw? Do you have to paddle to the left or the right. Does a canoe with outboard motor have to give way to a kayak with sail?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 02:58 pm
All true as far as I am concerned, apart from making eye contact, smiling and being polite.

There was a programme about the "synchronised walking" which showed that it was the fault of the bridge, and nothing to do with any strange habit of Londoners.

The movement of the bridge caused everyone to lean and step in the opposite direction at the same time, purely as a means of balance. This caused the bridge to sway in the same direction as the people, and made them all step the opposite way for balance again. And so on, and so on, with the swaying getting more pronounced each time.

A new version of the Lambeth Walk, really.....but a bit more dangerous.

The ONE thing that really rang true, was the "never ogling a celebrity"....
........SO uncool. I go out of my way to ignore them.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 02:59 pm
Didn't Roman troops have to break step while going over bridges?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:00 pm
its called resonance actually

how is the manor your lorde shipe?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:08 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
its all true

..................except there is no such thing as a real londoner.

I don't know about that, Steve.

My Dad was a fireman during the Blitz, my Grandad (his Father) worked the barges on the Thames with HIS Father....I don't know any further back than that.

But, there again, what actually constitutes a Londoner nowadays. Being born there?....being one of the dreaded commuters?.....actually living there, but born elsewhere?.....who cares, really. I wouldn't change it, apart from the bloody traffic and the constant roadworks.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:14 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
The ONE thing that really rang true, was the "never ogling a celebrity"....
........SO uncool. I go out of my way to ignore them.

so you would not even glance at me if i walked by? or just a little? does it depend on how famous one is? like if it's hugh grant on the street, you even cross and turn a corner, just to demonstrate your disinterest?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:21 pm
And all this time I thought they'd be ogling you, Sir Ell.

<goes away, dispirited>
0 Replies