What Londoners don't do, never!

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:23 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
There was a programme about the "synchronised walking" which showed that it was the fault of the bridge, and nothing to do with any strange habit of Londoners.

As far as I remember, 160 Londoners, ehem: persons, were enough to get the bridge swingin (or even collapsing?).

I wonder how the Londoners behave on their beach next year.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:27 pm
London has a beach?
0 Replies

Dutched Pinay

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:31 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
what!!!???

you have railway stations? Amazed.

Is there a rule of the canals btw? Do you have to paddle to the left or the right. Does a canoe with outboard motor have to give way to a kayak with sail?

I've heard that the Netherlands and Japan have the best railway stations in the world.

I have no idea though with the canals, I think only tourists get on the boats but the locals live in the boats!

Back to the topic. Londoners never leave the house without an umbrella??? Right or wrong?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:35 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
Lord Ellpus wrote:
The ONE thing that really rang true, was the "never ogling a celebrity"....
........SO uncool. I go out of my way to ignore them.

so you would not even glance at me if i walked by? or just a little? does it depend on how famous one is? like if it's hugh grant on the street, you even cross and turn a corner, just to demonstrate your disinterest?

I think that anyone who moves around in London on a regular basis, will see a well known face from time to time. The only people that seem to take any notice are the tourists, who quite unashamedly approach the person and ask for a photo or autograph. It is certainly not in my nature to acknowledge them any more than I would an "ordinary" person. I have held doors open on several occasions (as I do for anyone else) and give them the same smile or nod if they acknowledge my courtesy.

The thing that Londoners DO get up to with Celebrities, is to make loud irreverant comments (especially Taxi/Van/Lorry drivers)......

I once saw Barry Gibb strolling along, as a Van came past. The passenger leant out of the window and shouted "AWRIGHT BAZZA?" (Bazza being a typical abbreviation of Barry) Barry put his hand up and acknowledged him. A sort of cheeky affection, if you will.

Madonna, when she first arrived in London, took to jogging round Hyde Park with about a dozen bodyguards. She soon stopped that, when she realised that nobody was watching, and if they were, it was only to take the piss because of her silliness.

You ask if I would cross the Street ot turn a corner....no, I wouldn't. But I would refuse to treat that person in a different way to anyone else.

Why should I?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:36 pm
at this time of year its certainly advisable

but as a hard rule no its not true

except in the summer of course when the good old brolly is necessary to keep off the violently hot London sun.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:38 pm
just don't let your celebrities talk to any wild birds. wait, no. that was poultry you're supposed to watch.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:39 pm
Steve.....on a different topic, have you heard the one about me and the World Cup?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:39 pm
who's barry gibb?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:40 pm
you didnt take a lag it did you lorde?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:41 pm
HOORAH!

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/lordellpus/WORLDCUP.jpg
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:44 pm
oh my, i see you struggled to get it. they attacked your face first, how cowardly of them
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:45 pm
oh my god

someone smacked you in the face with the world cup

so sorry

hope features re grow
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:47 pm
got to give that one to dag she got there first
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:49 pm
eh, i gotta go home. play nicely while i'm away, boys.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:49 pm
Yep, it's THE one that was held up at Wembley. I'll find a link for you in a mo.

Here it is, with my old cat in the background.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/lordellpus/wc.jpg
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:51 pm
how did you.... when...why is it....

no, i don't wanna know. i want to keep thinking that Lord E is an honorable nobleman.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:53 pm
BUT PICKLES THE DOG FOUND IT

not your old moggie

how is he anyway? 45 is quiet old for a cat.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:53 pm
Seek and ye shall find........

http://www.answers.com/topic/jules-rimet-trophy

"During a public exhibition just before the 1966 World Cup Final in England the trophy was stolen, but it was later found in a dustbin by a dog named "Pickles". As a security measure, FIFA secretly manufactured a replica of the trophy for use in the post-match celebrations. The replica was also used on subsequent occasions until 1970. The replica was sold at an auction in 1997 for $425,015 (£254,500)."
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:57 pm
And here's the gorgeous wife (that I will remove in about ten minutes)..

I've been searching for these photos for a week or two.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/lordellpus/3.jpg
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:58 pm
woooo

lorde your secret is safe on a2k and the www

so it was you eh?

you stole the world cup and let your cat find it in the dustbin...

did they ever catch you?
0 Replies