Windows XP Home vs Professional

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 08:37 am
I have decided to switch from ME to XP. I have heard that the XP Professional edition has advantages over the Home edition, even for home, non-business users. Does anything know anything about that?

Any other tips will be most welcome,
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,191 • Replies: 8
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 10:18 am
TomKitten, May I suggest something? Why don't you go to your local computer store and ask the advantages of Prefessional over the Home edition? It'll save you much reading, and get the opionion of somebody that's been exposed to both for some time. You can get all your questions answered at the same time. c.i.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 11:17 am
Windows XP Home vs Professional
c.i. - yes, that would be a good idea, but it's not really so easy to do. I turn to Abuzz - or did - and able2know, because I find that people are as a rule generous with their help and advice. I don't know anyone who uses XP, and was hoping for input from current users. In the meantime I'll also be trying various sites like PC world, CNET, etc. In short, I want all the info I can get before laying out my money!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 01:11 pm
Ok, lemme write this one up:

Features XP home lacks that Pro has:

Remote Desktop - remotely access your Windows XP Professional PC, from another Windows PC, so you can work with all of your data and applications while away from your office.

Editorial: Big deal, there are many other applications that can do this.

Offline Files and Folders - access to files & folders on a network share when disconnected from the server.

Editorial: So? Even if you use a network you rpobably won't care.

Scalable processor support - up to two-way multi-processor support.

Editorial: Your hardware configuration will rarely make this of any import.

Encrypting File System - protects sensitive data in files that are stored on disk using the NTFS file system.

Editorial: If you need file encryption there are other ways to do it.

Access Control - restrict access to selected files, applications, and other resources.

Editorial: This can be useful but the average user won't use it.

The differences below are mainly for the pros as they deal with windows server isues:

Centralized administration - join Windows XP Professional systems to a Windows Server domain to take advantage of the full range of powerful management and security tools.

Group Policy
- simplifies the administration of groups of users or computers.

Software Installation and Maintenance - automatically install, configure, repair, or remove software applications.

Roaming User Profiles - access to all your documents and settings no matter where you log on.

Remote Installation Service (RIS) - support for remote operating system installations where desktops can be installed across the network

Multi-lingual User Interface (MUI) add-on - change the user interface language to get localized dialog boxes, menus, help files, dictionaries, and proofing tools etc.

My suggestion is to stick with XP Home. I always use professional because I work with IT and I bought my XP Pro a long time ago, but the average user has little use for XP pro.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 01:23 pm
Windows XP Home...
Thanks, Craven! This is exactly the sort of thing I wanted to know. Also, I came across an earlier discussion of XP (though with no reference to the Pro edition) and got some really good information there. So I think I'm all set, and I guess I'll go for it.

The Pro edition seems to have stuff that I wouldn't in my wildest dreams (nightmares?) ever need, so I'm agoin' Home!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 01:29 pm
I work with both all the time and rarely notice the difference.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 02:24 pm
Craven, Thanks for explaining the difference. I sort of knew about the remote and network share, but those applications don't have any attractions for me - in other words, no need. c.i.
0 Replies

crashoveride

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 12:23 am
i use pro its more sable maybe cause i am useing the service pack 2 but i wouldent buy it because I dident
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 07:48 am
Here's the deal right from Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

I have pro, but I realize now that I probably would have done just as well with home. I think that the only advantage for me is the more powerful "system restore", for backing up and restoring data.
0 Replies