Poor abuzz, comatose again!

Magus

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 06:45 am
One of my first message board memberships, the NYTimes abuzz site, has been afflicted with numerous parasites. Having weakened the poor thing, she occasionally has suffers from "spells".
Each episode leaves me worrying and wondering... will the poor dear pull through alright? As with any terminal illness, any attack could be her last.
She slipped into a coma this morning, and is unresponsive.
Please say a prayer for the old Grey Lady.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,631 • Replies: 116
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 06:51 am
One post here -- and you use it to gloat about the troubles Abuzz is having???

You are a jerkoff!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 06:53 am
Oh, by the way.

Welcome to A2K, Jerkoff.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 06:55 am
Frank, you are mistaken, I would never "gloat" about the loss of a good friend. I am mourning.
I don't know where you got "gloat"ing from... even in re-reading I don't really see how my post could be mis-construed.
?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 06:57 am
Well re-read it again!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 07:05 am
dammit! I have a new thread there. I hope it is not deleted.

i do worry so much whenever Abuzz goes down.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 07:51 am
Bunny

I posted a half-dozen replies yesterday over there -- and I'm not sure how many survived -- assuming Abuzz gets back up.

The last time it crashed -- it was down for 6 hours or so -- but none of the threads or responses were lost. They may have figured out a way to end the crash without loss of product.

Magus

I've read your initial post over several times -- and I still get a tone of gloating. And since it was your first post in this forum, I was on guard. BUT I REALIZE THAT I AM VERY TOUCHY ON THIS SUBJECT.

Abuzz was my first forum -- and it means a lot to me. It was the vehicle that allowed me to learn the Internet. I was a complete novice -- and completely computer illiterate before my encounter with Abuzz.

I will assume you were trying to be a bit ironic rather than gloating -- and I offer my complete and sincere apology.

A2K is an incredible forum. It is run in the way I wish they had run Abuzz. The format is easy to learn and, except for a few minor irritations, it functions much better than the Abuzz format.

I hope you enjoy your time with A2K -- and that you start posting regularly here.

frank
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 10:37 am
Magus- Welcome to A2K. Many of the folks here are former Abuzz members, who left before the old tub sank completely. Others still check in there from time to time. For many people, (including myself), there was a huge emotional connection to Abuzz. But for me, it was time to move on.

A2K has a lot of caring people who make sure that we will not go the way of Abuzz. Welcome again, and enjoy!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 11:21 am
Magus, I worry about Abuzz each day. There are a number of people with whom I communicate almost solely through Abuzz. It's still where I go for a friendship 'fix'. If I was to be a praying sort, I'd be praying for Abuzz. As it is, it gets a concerned thought.
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 11:28 am
Heya! It's nice to see most of my favorite Abusters here. Nice forum too... amazing what a little moderating can do, huh? I wonder if they finally pulled the plug on Abuzz...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 11:31 am
Hey there, Violet Lake. Good to see ya! Very Happy
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 11:32 am
Violet Lake- Yeah, welcome to A2K!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 11:34 am
Gee, I may have been one of those who have said something not-so-nice about Abuzz from time to time. It was fun for a while, and I learned a lot on it. But, as others have noted, it need ongoing TLC, and that's been lacking for too long...
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 11:36 am
Thanks guys, I like the format here... maybe better than Abuzz. It'll take me a little while to find my way around so bear with me Smile
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 11:37 am
so many features, so little time Wink
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 12:15 pm
hang out, practice, read, ask tons o' questions
it's the way to go

enjoy!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 12:19 pm
Hi, Violet Lake. Welcome!
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 12:26 pm
thanks ehBeth & sozobe Smile

For what it's worth, it looks like Abuzz is back.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 12:29 pm
I rarely read and more rarely post on Abuzz, but for those who want it, it is back in operation.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 12:30 pm
Since I was such a big mouth at the beginning of this thread -- allow me to try to make amends by saying...

...A2K is a better performing forum than Abuzz.

There still are a few bothersome conditions -- but for the most part, I think the way Craven set this thing up, it functions in a much more user friendly way.

Responses in A2K are much easier -- and more logical than in Abuzz.

I'm still having lots of trouble getting from an individual thread -- especially one that I have to move around in -- and get back to the listing of new postings.

Following posts in threads I've already posted in has become a breeze now that I've figured out how to use the "your topics" section.

It is a great forum -- and I probably spend three hours here for every hour I spend over at Abuzz.

I mouthed off mostly because I really have a sentimental attachment over there -- and I thought Magus's first post on this forum was a gloating one. I've seen that I was probably wrong -- and have apologized to Magus. I extend that apology to the rest of the A2K community.

Boy, as I get older, I sure get crankier.
0 Replies