UPSs: I need to justify the purchase of one.

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 06:26 am
UPSs or Uninterrupted Power Supply units. I would like to find out what other computer users feel and believe about these things. I know they are terribly expensive. The cheapest only gives about 5 - 8 minutes back up power, long enough to allow the user to shut their computer down safely, which I guess is plenty of time if you are aware of the power failure at the time it happens. I haven't heard or read of anyone else's comments on these contraptions and I was curious about what other people's opinions were. As if you haven't guessed already, I had a stuff up a few days ago. We had a black out while my computer was running. Now the blessed thing won't boot up. It is stuck in a loop. MS have told me I need to take it to a professional computer technician. That happens tomorrow. Tonight I want to know what I could have done to prevent it happening again. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 665 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 07:03 am
IMO, a UPS is an invaluable extension of your computer. The nice thing about the good ones is that not only do they keep you up and running for a period of time during power outage, but they take the jolt of the power coming back on. A nice feature is that you do not have to be there to shut your system down. This can be done through software. The prices have really come down over the past few years and it really is a good investment.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 07:09 am
When I sold computers (in the dark ages known as the 1980's) I insisted on selling a UPS with every unit. You want to make sure the unit has good surge protection, that is key. I would ask people "how much would you pay in ransom if someone kidnapped all your data?" and "how bad would you feel if there was no guarantee that after paying the ransom that you would get your data back?". If you computer is backed up hourly or you just keep fluffy junk on it, a UPS might be overkill. If you have anything of value (like business info, your great novel, photos never printed out, personal finance etc) you should consider a UPS. It's cheaper than a tech restore in the long run and a lot less aggravating. I don't think the time it gives you to shut down is as important as the surge protection. I am long out of the business, so you will have to do your own research about brands. Good luck.
0 Replies

gbob

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 11:25 am
the ups kicks in when the power goes down the your software will tell the machine to safely shut down if u specify this is the beauty of ups safe shutdown after power failure, also if u are aware of the power failure u can save your work before the machine shuts down. if you have an expensive machine and important data get a UPS guys.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 08:21 pm
If you would prefer to minimize the risk of the inconvenience of replacing your data and programs and/or repairing or replacing your 'puter and peripherals, a UPS is a no-brainer.

All of my electronics - entertainment, communication, and computer - are connected to mains power via commercial-grade voltage-regulated, surge-protected, high-capacity UPS modules. While for most folks, that level of protection and isolation would be overkill, a "just-in-case" device that costs about the same as a single game or program is cheap insurance. "An ounce of prevention ... " and all that.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 08:38 pm
hmmm I have a ton of stuff going in and outta my ups, what I love best it beeps in low power situations and some time it'll give me a heads-up before something really happens powerwise.
0 Replies