ANTI RELIGION QUOTES

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 03:42 am
"religion is a mental disease"-Benito Mussolini

This quote epitomises the modern attitude people have towards all religions, what better ways are there to spend your time instead of being brainwashed in a Church on Sunday mornings, at youth groups, at Christian meetings at uni, during personal prayer sessions and bible reading? Life is too short to spend on such things, I wouldnt invest all the time I have in this lifetime in hope of a better afterlife since there is no guarantee of it, as in I have never see evidence of an afterlife after death, so I see religion as a mental disease and a huge gamble on life. Surely you can spend more time on self improvement and on helping the rest of the world rather than reading from an ancient bible that has no relevance to modern day life.

Talking as someone from an Actuarial background, Gambling is worthwhile on 2 occasions.

1. IF there is one outcome
2. If the expected[average] payoff is better than even, which is calculated from looking at the possible payoffs and their probabilities of occurence. Since the "afterlife" can never be proven or seen by the naked eye from people in our dimension, the positive payoff for this gamble is non existent. On the other hand, the negative payoff which is the valuable time consumption is very very real.

So I rest my case Cool
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 19,051 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Jamesw84

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 03:44 am
Feel free to post any more opinions or more anti religion quotes here -)
0 Replies

daniellejean

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 02:46 pm
umm James, do you think there might be something to the fact that Mussolini - a fascist murderer - said that quote.

Here is one from somebody I respect a little more: Karl Marx: "Religion is the opiate of the masses"

I don't happen to disagree with it, because I think that intelligent people can involve themselves in religion in productive ways. Also, religion is a way to keep society functioning in productive ways. But there certainly are extremes: Fundamentalist Christians who think that sex-ed and evolution should be banned from school systems. Fundamentalist Muslims who would strap a bomb to themselves to blow up hundreds of "infidels," the Ku Klux Klan - who claim to be a Christian group, but yet kill based on prejudice. I think it would be more accurate to say that fundamental branches of religion are a mental disease. Even then, it's more like a power structure similar to totalitarian governments.
0 Replies

RaceDriver205

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 03:45 am
Clever man james, a very clean proof.
lol, daniellejean blah blah a fascist murderer said what u said so your a fascist murderer, (what the ** is that?). I dont see how your totalitarian goverment stuff relates to anything else u said.
'Inteligent people involve themselves in religon in productive ways' - what productive ways do you mean?
Religon has been present over time in all sorts of civilisations to explain supernatural things (bad weather, good harvest this year, the sun etc), and in all civilisations the religons have been different. Only one can be right, so what makes u think yours is?
However, i dont believe religon is the reason extreme muslims bomb infidels, n fund. christians disagree with sex-ed, i believe it is because the people themselves are inferior, and of 'little worth as people' and that religon is their excuse to exercise their personal pitfalls.

"where science ends religon begins"
0 Replies

Zimmy

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 09:09 am
"With or withour religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."
- Steven Weinberg
"Believing in gods causes confusion" Wink
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 03:03 am
"Nothing is more dangerous than an idea when it is the only one you have." - Alain (Émile Auguste Chartier, 1868-1951)

This is especially true of fundamental religious people.
0 Replies

Kuro Ichiko

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:47 am
RaceDriver205 wrote:
Clever man james, a very clean proof.
lol, daniellejean blah blah a fascist murderer said what u said so your a fascist murderer, (what the ** is that?). I dont see how your totalitarian goverment stuff relates to anything else u said.
'Inteligent people involve themselves in religon in productive ways' - what productive ways do you mean?
Religon has been present over time in all sorts of civilisations to explain supernatural things (bad weather, good harvest this year, the sun etc), and in all civilisations the religons have been different. Only one can be right, so what makes u think yours is?
However, i dont believe religon is the reason extreme muslims bomb infidels, n fund. christians disagree with sex-ed, i believe it is because the people themselves are inferior, and of 'little worth as people' and that religon is their excuse to exercise their personal pitfalls.

"where science ends religon begins"

I was completely annoyed the whole time I read your post. If I'm correct, daniellejean was just saying that the quote posted by James was not a very substantial one because it was said by a 'fascist muderer'. No where did she say that James was a fascist murderer himself. So stop critizing other people's posts when you don't even understand what they're saying.

P.S. (It's civilizations...not civilisations)
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 11:01 am
The quotations posted by Zimmy and Clary above (how are you Clary? keeping warm?) are worth as my old teacher used to say- reading, learning and inwardly digesting.

In my opinion we are seeing a resurgance of religiousity particularly in the US because the neo cons, whilst not of course believing a word of religious dogma themselves, believe it is good for society and their control of it, that the ordinary people do.

Karl Marx said Religion is the opiate of the people
Leo Strauss said (or would have said) Religion is the opiate of the people, thank God!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 11:05 am
Religion helps some but immensely annoys others-Me,2006
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 11:07 am
LOL Steve; yes thanks, just about surviving the cold... yourself?
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 11:14 am
Kuro, "civilise" is an accepted British variant of "civilize".
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 01:04 pm
I was shocked to see that ignorance paraded!

"Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has." - Martin Luther (1483-1546)
That says it all, as far as I'm concerned. Damned by their own words.
0 Replies

whimsicalim

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 08:27 am
Wow. That's annoying.

Kuro_Ichiko:- No, it's civilisations. That's always been the english spelling... and thats what you're speaking. English.
The fact you dumbarse Americans changed the spelling for a couple of words (why?... because you were sick of correcting your mistake so you decided to change the word instead?) is really bad enough....
But when you 'correct' somebody with that American spelling.... God damn it is the most irritating thing in the world.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 11:24 am
As irritating as having to read a tiny print posting.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 03:16 pm
"Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has." - Martin Luther (1483-1546)

Did Luther really say this Clary? If so I am disappointed. Was in Eisenach/Wartburg last week.

Are no religious giants worthy of respect?
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 08:09 am
"You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend." - Yasir Arafat (On going to war over religion)
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 08:14 am
"Organized religion is a sham and a crutch for weak-minded people who need strength in numbers."

Jesse Ventura - governor of minnesota, January 4, 1999, to January 6, 2003
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 08:18 am
"The Christians are coming to get you, and they're not nice people" George Carling
Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 08:25 am
Quote:
The good, say the mystics of spirit, is God, a being whose only definition is that he is beyond man's power to conceive- a definition that invalidates man's consciousness and nullifies his concepts of existence...Man's mind, say the mystics of spirit, must be subordinated to the will of God... Man's standard of value, say the mystics of spirit, is the pleasure of God, whose standards are beyond man's power of comprehension and must be accepted on faith....The purpose of man's life...is to become an abject zombie who serves a purpose he does not know, for reasons he is not to question. [Ayn Rand, For the New Intellectual]
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 08:39 am
There are two categories of religious people, the deluded and the dangerously deluded.
0 Replies