What is Fascist Regime

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 05:43 pm
Does anyone know what a Fascist Regime is? I think it could have something to do with East Timor?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 17,258 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 07:58 pm
You're serious, right? You've never heard the expression 'Fascist regime'? OK, brief thumb-nail sketch:

The original Fascists were the party of Benito Mousolini (bet you've never heard of him, either) in Italy before and during World War II. Mousolini was a dictator (look it up, if you don't know what that means). He was an ally of Hitler during the War. Hitler of Germany, Mousolini of Italy and Tojo of Japan lost the war to the Americans, the British and the Russians (yes, the Russians were our allies back then). By extension, the word 'fascist' came to be used as a catch-all term for any oppressive, dictatorial regime. Unless it was Communist, of course. Even when the Communists acted just like Fascists, we couldn't call them that, could we, because Communists and Fascists had been bitter enemies in the war. So today we describe any totalitarian (another good word for you to look up) regime as fascist.

What all that has to do with East Timor, I'm sure I don't know. Except that East Timor is probably one of the places on this planet which has a fascist regime. But so do many other places.
goodfielder

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 12:11 am
Fascist facets (sorry) also include glorifying the military and the interwining of financial interests of the government and military, among other things. East Timor or Timor Leste as it is called now, is probably not a fascist state. It was occupied by the Indonesians who may have been fascist and may not be now (hard to know).

Fascism is not good but it does make the trains run on time Very Happy
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 12:32 am
"Feel don't think" - Bonito Mussolini

Totalitarian and fascism. those are two words and ideals that need to be more understood in America before it's to late.

The last thing I heard about East Timor was the massacre they had there when they sent all those troops in. That was about five years ago.

That seems to be the way it works. Find a country that can't defend itself. Send troops in to terrorize and bring the people to there knees. Set up a government under whatever ideal you want. It doesn't matter as long as the same companies are in control Then exploit there labour and resources.
0 Replies

dewy 696

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 04:55 am
Thanks for the answer, but obviously i am serious that i went to the trouble of writing a post asking what it is. I am only 16, should i know what it is?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 05:43 am
There's quite a bit of information there to work with dewy_696. The classic "modern" fascist regimes are Mussolini's Italy and Hitler's Germany. The word itself is derived from ancient Rome so you might like to consider the link between Rome in its Imperial times and the Italy that Mussolini created just before WW2.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 06:41 am
dewy_696 wrote:
Thanks for the answer, but obviously i am serious that i went to the trouble of writing a post asking what it is. I am only 16, should i know what it is?

Yes. By the age of 16, you should definitely know what the expression 'fascist regime' means. I am a teacher at the high school level. I would expect my 16-year old students to have learned that in their world history classes a good deal earlier than that. Besides, if you watch the news on TV at all, or read at all, you run into the expression all the time. It's in common use, not just as a historic fact. It's useful to know what a politician is talking about when he accuses a government of turning into a fascist regime.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 06:21 am
Technically, Hitler's regime wasn't fascist.

Fascism implies non-State interference with companies, as well, as dictatorship. That means Hitler's regime and the Communist regimes could never be fascist, as they interefered with the running of companies.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 12:23 am
East Timor is Christian as Portugal once controlled it. They left and Indonesia tried to take over. A lot of blood flowed and ethnic cleansing claims were bandied about. Under Clinton, the Pentagon had ships stationed in nearby waters but did not interfere. Australian forces with some other UN sponsored International troops, were sent to quell the violence.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 02:14 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Technically, Hitler's regime wasn't fascist.

Fascism implies non-State interference with companies, as well, as dictatorship. That means Hitler's regime and the Communist regimes could never be fascist, as they interefered with the running of companies.

I don't know the details Wolf but I thought that the regime worked very closely with people such as Krupp? Didn't the regime give slave labour to the private companies that were helping the war effort?

In my mind I can hear Ike warning about the military-industrial complex.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 02:15 am
talk72000 wrote:
East Timor is Christian as Portugal once controlled it. They left and Indonesia tried to take over. A lot of blood flowed and ethnic cleansing claims were bandied about. Under Clinton, the Pentagon had ships stationed in nearby waters but did not interfere. Australian forces with some other UN sponsored International troops, were sent to quell the violence.

Yes, one of the few things that John Howard deserves credit for.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 12:37 am
Has Howard been there that long? I vaguely remember a Hawke taking a swim and disappeared. Probably a shark got him.
0 Replies

dewy 696

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 02:53 am
To Merry Andrew, just wondering if you could ask your students, that are in year 10, to tell you what Fascist Regime is. Would just like to know if they do.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 04:36 am
dewy_696 wrote:
To Merry Andrew, just wondering if you could ask your students, that are in year 10, to tell you what Fascist Regime is. Would just like to know if they do.

Good one, Dewy. I did say that I would expect my students to know these things. Quite often one's expectations are not met. Ah, well. I'm probably just getting old. Time was when 'fascist regime' was a common, everyday expression. Still is, if one watches the news on the television. But, you're right, of course -- you'll nver learn if you don't ask.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 04:36 am
dewy_696 wrote:

Good one, Dewy. I did say that I would expect my students to know these things. Quite often one's expectations are not met. Ah, well. I'm probably just getting old. Time was when 'fascist regime' was a common, everyday expression. Still is, if one watches the news on the television. But, you're right, of course -- you'll never learn if you don't ask.
0 Replies

SailorPunk

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 09:11 am
@Merry Andrew,
Fascism / Totalitarian Regime as well as Communism catch my attention because im heavy into Punk Rock and the idea of Anarchy. I was in detention for a few days a couple weeks ago so i decided to grab a dictionary and my world history book n start look for stuff. I ended up writing a full 2 pages about Fascist Rule and Communistic Rule,their similatities and differences as well as a bunch of definitions relating to both just for fun.
I myself am against the idea of any form of government,i think the world would be alot better with a little Anarchy,but thats just me.
- Dave, 15 year old 10th grader in Georgia.
0 Replies