Bill Casselman, new member, says goodbye!

ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 06:19 pm
Cattle lowing in the gloaming*, sheep mowing the back forty, eye wagons attempting to make a circle..
git along lil'dogie..

* I saw an online painting by that title today, no link at the moment, nice though.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 06:37 pm
Bummer especially for Beth...I can imagine how awful it would be when someone you really admire and such comes and this happens.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((Beth))))))))))))))))))))

Kind of a bit like when you mix groups of friends at a dinner party, and they fight.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 07:08 pm
Most of his animosity was directed at our mods.

Possessiveness pops out.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 07:33 pm
The ego of this man makes most Hollywood movie stars look like shrinking violets, shy as startled bunnies. I'm sorry, I can't agree with those who say, "He's a newbie; give him a chance." A chance to what? Act like a spoiled brat?

Quote:
"I left because NOBODY edits my copy without talking to me, discussing cuts with me. Nobody, not even the testosterone-soaked dick-waggers who seem to comprise admins and mods on forums."

Really? Nobody? Well, as a former copy editor for United Press International in New York and at the Boston Globe, let me tell you, I've done it to copy innumerable times. NOBODY is above being edited, and the editor is under no obligation to explain his/her actions to the writer before weilding the blue pencil. Later on, after deadline, we can discuss it in a civil manner.

Being a newbie does not excuse one from obeying the rules outlined in the TOS. Nor does it excuse one from simple civil behavior. Shoule we excuse Mr. Casselman's behavior because he is "famous"? Would we take it from a non-entity? I feel badly for ehBeth, but have not one iota of sympathy for Mr. Casselman's petulance.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 08:03 pm
I don't understand. Was there some hope we would all roll over?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 08:08 pm
I roll over at the drop of a hat.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 08:10 pm
<scratching Dys' belly>
0 Replies

ossobuco

And put your paws in the air, waving..
0 Replies

dyslexia

Yeah
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

I try not to drop my hat, Dys. The brim gets dirty and good felt ain't that easy to clean.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 08:12 pm
I wouldn't know, all my Stetsons are just 4X
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 08:12 pm
Isn't it odd that we make hats from felt?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 08:16 pm
<trying to figure what Alice Munro might say...>

hats from felt? Don't they shrivel?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 09:08 pm
No, they've been felted.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 09:39 pm
What is felting, she says, adjusting belt, not looking it up... intense shrivel?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 10:07 pm
Don't know the process, but it used to involve mercury. Anyway, some fur bearing animals have a hair that forms a solid mass of felt. Beaver's probably the best followed (in no particular order) by rats and rabbits.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 10:16 pm
<frowns>
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 12:03 am
Yes rabbits. I have an old Akubra (Silver Spur, they don't make that model any longer) and it's made of rabbit felt.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 12:05 am
my wife does felting. The process with wool does not involve anything toxic anymore.
She washes the fleeces and then while still soapy, she agitates the felt using rollers and a special table that keeps the felt "batt" uniform. Then after agitation, she mixes a weak vinegar solution or citric acid to close the "Scales" of the wool to lock or "full" the fibres together. Then she wraps the felt batt around a PVC pipe section(the felt batt is separated from itself by a sheet of terry toweling. This is put into a dryer with other PVC rolls (this dryer is out in an old milkhouse. She turns on the dry and rotate cycle and it sounds just like aDesi Arnaz drum piece for about 20 minutes. She then unrolls the felt form and uses it in making hats and vests. (She colors the felt or mixes color "roving" into the batts before felting.

How she makes stuff, I dont know, thats her secret . She can work all day in her studio and never bug anyone and, whenever shes in full show mode, we usually have to go out to eat unless I cook.

She used to teach felting courses at fibre expos like "Stitches" a national fibre art convention series in the East and West. Shes won the "Craftsman of Distinction" for the Pa state crafts council annual show ,that was a validation of her quality work by her peers and the Crafts Council. So I am quite proud of her.

Wool has a natural "scaly" strcture which allows one fibre to catch and hold onto others and , if the felting is done properly, its even stronger than woven and brushed yardage (Boiled wool). We use Ramboullet or Dulane Merino wool exclusively for this process since it felts very easily and is more of a feel like like cotton than wool. All her other wool is Corriedale which are a slightly less fine wool than Merino but not such a pain in the ass to shear. Merino sheep have such a wrinkly skin that its very easy to nick them while shearing . We cannot use the Aussie method.

Didnt know I knew arcane **** like that eh? One can buy a complete cleaning/ carding/ roving/sppinning/felting factory setup from an outfit in Prince Edward Island. The entire unit will set you back about as much as a well equipped BMW 500 series.
All you have to do is shear the sheep.

Hey its now 1 oclock again, Im wide awake .

What was this thread about again?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 12:38 am
I never knew there was a plain-bodied Merino breed. That's really interesting.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/06/2024 at 04:34:20