HEEEELP!!! Lost My Firefox Settings

panzade

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 12:02 pm
Due to Wilma shutting down my Internet connection...I came back and all my Firefox settings were gone. Help me get them back.

Hundreds of bookmarks are missing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,010 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 01:20 pm
I take it you did not export a backup copy?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 01:29 pm
What operating system are you running? Windows XP or 2000?

You might try checking under c:\Documents and Settings\[your profile name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\\[profile name]\
... and see if there are any subfolders named "Backup". You're looking for a bookmarks.html file name.

Better yet, just run a search for files named "bookmarks.html".
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 01:38 pm
If you find a recent backup copy, I believe you want to place it in the c:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile folder, where your FF program will look for it.

Once you have a bookmarks.html file you are happy with, you can export a backup copy to a different location through the FF program by clicking Bookmarks>Manage Bookmarks>File>Export, and selecting a good location for a backup (like a floppy disk).
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 12:02 am
Thanks Tico...I'll get to work
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 12:09 am
There is ONLY one man for this task....

http://dvd.eck24.de/images/20/20503.jpg
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 08:42 am
panzade wrote:
Thanks Tico...I'll get to work

Let me know how it turns out.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 10:33 am
Heeeelp I've lost all my Firefox settings
I can't help you, but I do feel for you. I almost lost a lot of bookmarks once because MSN.com didn't transfer them to IE - or IE didn't pick them all up, whichever.

This won't help you now, but fortunately I had (ugh) manually copied the items on my bookmark list by going to each one, accessing the specific site, then copying and pasting into Word. Talk about tedious!

But it did save me when I switched to Firefox, because there were great gaps in the IE list and of course Firefox only picked up the IE listings, not the MSN Favorites; however I had my MSN list and was able to fill in most of the holes. In theory IE should record all the MSN Favorites, but for whatever reason, it definitely didn't.

This also helps you ito weed out sites that no longer exist, BTW.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 11:44 am
Thanks stilly. Clint was not available to help.

Looked throughout my computer but they were not to be found. On the bright side: It had gotten unmanageable. A fresh start is what I needed.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 12:17 pm
Heeelp I lost my Firefox
I tried exporting my Bookmarks to my external hard drive; it shows up on the list of E Drive contents, but I can't open it. Now what?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 12:24 pm
Heeelp I lost my Firefox
I tried again, using BOokmarks Manager>Export as before; this time the menu didn't give "Export", ony "Import", but listed them each as a link, so I copied and pasted into Word. Now any time I want to add or subtract, I know how to do it efficiently.

But I still wonder why (a) I can't open the Bookmarks.html on my E Drive; and b) why I keep getting the message that C:\ cannot be found which I go to Start>Run. I've been getting this message forever.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 12:26 pm
Re: Heeelp I lost my Firefox
Tomkitten wrote:
I tried exporting my Bookmarks to my external hard drive; it shows up on the list of E Drive contents, but I can't open it. Now what?

When and if you need to use your backup file in an emergency, you simply move the backup "bookmarks.html" file to the c:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile folder, where the FF program will look for it.

(Although double-clicking on the file through Windows Explorer ought to open it in your default browser.)
0 Replies