Best LOTR scene?

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 09:15 am
I can't believe I'm typing this, I must look like the biggest dork, but I got in a conversation about this with some friends - there are some goose bump good scenes.

I like pretty much anythign with Gandalf "You shall not pass!!!" and when he rides out to save the riders returning to Mynisterith(sp?) from the River with his staff.

Love those movies!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,978 • Replies: 40
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 09:32 am
i'd have to say it was probably this one Arrow http://img436.imageshack.us/img436/6131/anigollum0by.gif
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 09:38 am
Ive only seen the first film but I fell in love with the orcs, so anything with them in.

It should be on normal tv this year, a definate christmas day film.
0 Replies

KetchupLady

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 09:55 am
Could you imagine watching that with commercials though? You'd be there until next Christmas! Wink

I thought they were going to be "fantasy" and initially didn't want to go see it, but I totally loved the first one and can't get enough. I saw the exhibit that's been going around the world in Boston last spring, it was really cool to see some of the costumes, technology and sets.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 10:01 am
Hehe, christmas day Im stuffed with food and all I want to do is sit infront of the TV.
0 Replies

sculptin

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 08:16 am
For me it has to be the scene where Pippin sings for Denethor, as Faramir leads his men to their deaths at Osgiliath, and he sits there eating tomatoes (gives me goosebumps just thinking about it....)
Brilliant

(From Return Of The King by the way) :wink:
0 Replies

KetchupLady

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 12:56 pm
OH I hate that scene!! So creepy (well done but creepy). Pippin looks a lot like a guy I used to date so it's hard for me to look at him seriously!

I love the part when Gandalf is telling him what not to say to Denethor and then he's like "actually it's better if you don't speak at all". I'm such a slave to Gandalf's scenes. Wink
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 08:04 pm
Very, very hard to choose. Hmm, right now I'm in the mood for just the very simply moment when, after they have returned (ROTK), Sam goes up to talk to Rosie. It was just very believable to me, seeing how he had changed like that.
0 Replies

KetchupLady

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 03:05 pm
Smile I agree.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 04:48 pm
I cant make my mind up at all- I loved all 3 movies!

I loved the the Dwarf, (Gimli)he kept making me laugh with his comments!

I think I loved the scene with those huge elephants (Return of the King)and how Legolas manages to always flip himself up onto quick moving animals.

I think those dog things aka Wargs (warg rider battle scene)were pretty amazing creations-Two Towers

Touching moment -when Aragorns horse (Brego)nuzzled him after the scene where he was dragged over the side of the cliff, and his horse kneeled down so the injured Aragorn could pull himself up onto him.

And in the first movie loved how Arwen turned the river water into stampeding horses-all amazing!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 08:23 am
So many great scenes that mirrored the book as closely as I could desire. The Mines of Moria were stunningly realized and I liked Jackson's troll better than the slithery, reptilian creature in the book.

"They've got a troll."
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 08:35 am
Spookily enough I saw one of the films being advertised the other day to show on normal tv, the one with the towers, is that the 1st or 2nd?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 08:35 am
I think in some ways the movie improved on the book (I've never said that before). I think the visuals clarified some of what Tolkien tried to express in the text. The strongest clarification for me was the personalities of Golem. The scene in which his two (pre and post ring) natures battle for dominance is brilliant.

I also agree with LW about the Troll, a very powerful image that leaves one with nightmares and I barely remember it from the book.

The only images I didn't love were the Elves Kingdom, a cross between a Hindu wedding cake and Art Nouveau brothel. I wanted to live in the Hobbit shire, but not in the Elves' Disney World.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 09:58 am
The troll in the book was very briefly described, a scaly entity perhaps more menacing in a eerie way, but not particularly in a compative role.

Golem is one of the most memorable characters in all of cinema. I think he often upstaged the Hobbits but that was because he was a genuine advisary while still being appealing in a mysterious way -- perhaps that's a feeling of pity more than anything else.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 12:35 pm
The most humourous moment in the films was the altercation between Gimli and Legolas after the battle of Helm's Deep (not in the theatre release, but on the DVD) version).
The dwarf is sitting on a huge orc and asks the elf how many orcs he killed. I believe Legolas says 24 and Gimli is very satisfied to say that he is sitting on his number 25. Legolas immidiately shoots an arrow in the orc, declaring that the orc wasn't dead yet (he was still twitching) so they are even. At which Gimli retorts gruffly that the orc was only twitching "because he has my axe buried in his nervous system"!

I thought that the comic relief provided by the competition between the elf and the dwarf was well played out in the film, although I was sorry that Gimli was made too much of a clown to achieve it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 01:15 pm
I thought that line was a brilliant example of one-upsmanship and it gave Gimli the edge on wit.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 01:20 pm
I thought the best scene was the dwarf toss in the battle of Helm's Deep.
0 Replies

KetchupLady

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 04:29 pm
The special effect were crazy. I saw ROTK twice in the theatres!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 08:49 pm
first film, in moria, before the cave troll arrives.
gandalf is reading the dwarf diary, when pippin knocks over the skeleton, it falls down the well, causing moria to "wake up"...
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 01:17 am
That scene with the Ents finally agreeing to stop that wizard (Saluman?) ,after seeing the destruction that Saluman has done, sent shivers down me arms.
0 Replies