Your heart's desire......What are you doing for it?

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 07:42 am
For Spendius

Hecaton of Rhodes, "I will reveal to you a love potion, without medicine, without herbs, without any witch's magic; if you want to be loved, then love."
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 07:53 am
A little too simple I'm afraid Angel.

Many a young man of the romantic period has blown his brains out when his love was not returned.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 07:59 am
I see, you are afraid. I thought it was anger turned to hate. Don't be afraid, try the formula. Take all the intellectual wordiness and throw it out the window, and just love.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 08:00 am
Remember Spendius was a brave man, and you have taken his name, so be brave too.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 10:20 am
spendius wrote:
If you put a hot kettle on a cold stove it will go cold and if you put a cold kettle on a hot stove it will boil.
We do the former and arranged marriages are like the latter.

It is the cultural hangover of 19th century romanticism.I would recommend Pride and Prejudice with special reference to the first sentence.And I mean the book not the movie versions.

I have just read the book, do you mean to say OPPOSITES ATTRACT?
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 10:29 am
spendius,
maybe you just need a good maid in your life! Laughing

Like Neil Young said "a man needs a maid".
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 10:44 am
and he may find one in church, i suppose! Smile
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 01:13 pm
I agree with everything said above.But where is she?

She doesn't exist except in my fevered soul.Why write Ayesha if She is to be found in London.And when Leo kisses Her at the ceremony the world blows up.What DOES Haggard mean.

Yes indeed Angel,Spendius is a wonderful creation.Like Valmont and Lucien Leuwen.They say that Stendhal had a happy ever after sequel for Lucien with Ms Chastelady.

spider- No.That a man in possession of a good fortune stands in want of a wife.

"As she stares into the vacuum of his eyes
And says 'do you want to make a deal' "

Love is dangerous.Especially for men.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:53 am
May be she is just around, somewhere over there, may be you've known her already but never suspected an attachment.
Rolling Eyes

:wink:
Whoa, this thread may well have been called the matchmaking thread. May be, you need a matchmaker, Spendi! Had I known you personally, I would have happily played the part for you! Laughing

Ahhh….Match-making, me?? Another silly Emma Woodhouse, I think not! Confused
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 02:07 am
If the head did what the heart wanted, I will probaly end up in jail..... Twisted Evil
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 03:13 am
Indian jailers like to sleep a lot. Here, people don't worry for their indulgent hearts
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 06:25 pm
Angel wrote-

Quote:
Remember Spendius was a brave man, and you have taken his name, so be brave too.

No he wasn't.He was intelligent.He knew there was only one way out.Through Carthage.He was in a trap and deservedly so for being a trader in women.

Suggest another way.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 06:56 pm
spendius wrote:
Angel wrote-

Quote:

No he wasn't.He was intelligent.He knew there was only one way out.Through Carthage.He was in a trap and deservedly so for being a trader in women.

Suggest another way.

He was brave damn it, and intelligent. Very Happy Cool You certainly gave this a lot of thought haven't you. Stop thinking Exclamation Very Happy Cool *giggles*
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 11:05 am
Angel said-

Quote:
He was brave damn it, and intelligent. You certainly gave this a lot of thought haven't you. Stop thinking *giggles*

I just love that book.Spendius was desperate.It must have been a great job buying and selling women.Once he had been freed from slavery by the drunken mercenaries his intelligence soon figured out that the only way back was through the defeat of Carthage.ONLY WAY.His bravery was born of desperation.He was actually a coward like me which is to say normal.He was a rat in a corner.
Flaubert himself actually.

Read it again Angel.Buy a copy if you can.Hardback if you can find one.And isn't Salammbo mysterious.What a movie it would make with a $200 million dollar budget.5 years of sweat made that book and some blank pages of paper.

You can read it all on Google but it isn't the same as curled up on a sofa with some wild savannha ganga in your brains.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 11:19 am
spendius wrote:
Angel said-

Quote:
He was brave damn it, and intelligent. You certainly gave this a lot of thought haven't you. Stop thinking *giggles*

I just love that book.Spendius was desperate.It must have been a great job buying and selling women.Once he had been freed from slavery by the drunken mercenaries his intelligence soon figured out that the only way back was through the defeat of Carthage.ONLY WAY.His bravery was born of desperation.He was actually a coward like me which is to say normal.He was a rat in a corner.
Flaubert himself actually.

Read it again Angel.Buy a copy if you can.Hardback if you can find one.And isn't Salammbo mysterious.What a movie it would make with a $200 million dollar budget.5 years of sweat made that book and some blank pages of paper.

You can read it all on Google but it isn't the same as curled up on a sofa with some wild savannha ganga in your brains.

I copied it all from a site on the net. It's also all in the interpretation Spendius.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 11:37 am
Angel-

I would be interested in reading your interpretation.

The second volume of Flaubert's letters covers the period in which he wrote this beautiful book.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 03:01 pm
spendius wrote:
Angel-

I would be interested in reading your interpretation.

The second volume of Flaubert's letters covers the period in which he wrote this beautiful book.

I have not read any of his letters. Just the book, but, I will read it again. Thats why I was interested in the thread Francis, and you were going to discuss it. Come on continue the thread, many of us are interested. It's always interesting, and educational to hear/read other perspectives. Please :wink: Very Happy
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 03:32 pm
Angel-

We can easily continue here.I made a mistake before.

Always remember though,when reading a book like that,that these were once blank pieces of paper and were filled in by a master craftsman much as are some of the beautiful mosaics one sees from time to time.The angel in the marble so to speak.He makes you race precisely because you are not supposed to.It's his little joke I think.

Do you remember the scene where Emma is walking with Leon.He was practicing.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 08:16 am
Spendius, you cannot take over anothers thread, and use it for your own discussion. I have to read the story again, and take notes this time, I need time. If you decide to do it, it will have to be in your own thread or the old one.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 11:27 am
Angel-

Suppose it is my heart's desire to do it here?If it is then to do something about it is necessary to bend a few formal rules a little.

I didn't know angels were pedantic little rule sticklers.I thought they were sweetie pie free spirits.
0 Replies