Active X - what is it? Is it 'dangerous'??

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 01:07 pm
I am confused about something called "Active X" I get a message that tells me that if I want to see something I have to have "Active X" installed, but then another message pops up telling me that it is dangerous and I need to be cautious. How on earth is a newbie supposed to know what to do for the best? I seemed to be doomed if I do and doomed if I don't.
I would like someone to tell me what to do for the best. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 845 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 01:13 pm
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/ActiveX_control.htmlActiveX control

Quote:
A control using ActiveX technologies. An ActiveX control can be automatically downloaded and executed by a Web browser. ActiveX is not a programming language, but rather a set of rules for how applications should share information. Programmers can develop ActiveX controls in a variety of languages, including C, C++, Visual Basic, and Java.
An ActiveX control is similar to a Java applet. Unlike Java applets, however, ActiveX controls have full access to the Windows operating system. This gives them much more power than Java applets, but with this power comes a certain risk that the applet may damage software or data on your machine.

To control this risk, Microsoft developed a registration system so that browsers can identify and authenticate an ActiveX control before downloading it. Another difference between Java applets and ActiveX controls is that Java applets can be written to run on all platforms, whereas ActiveX controls are currently limited to Windows environments.

Related to ActiveX is a scripting language called VBScript that enables Web authors to embed interactive elements in HTML documents

The idea is to "look before you leap". If the Active X control is from a company that you trust, and can be authenticated, it is probably safe to download. If not, don't take a chance.
0 Replies

Vonda1941

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 01:28 pm
Thanks... crystal clear..as if... Maybe I just should be made aware of "the worst case scenario". What is the worst thing that can happen if I don't know who I can trust anymore? I wouldn't have the foggiest idea of what companies I can trust, and I sure don't know how to authenticate anything. I'm better off being told the worst thing that can go wrong, and once I know that, I'll probably decide not to touch it with a 10' barge pole. Sorry to be such a pain in the butt. I did say I was a "newbie".
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 01:35 pm
Vonda1941- Better safe than sorry. I remember that when I got my first computer, I downloaded just about everything in sight. When I had to reformat my hard drive, believe me, it was no fun.

What I do now, if the warning lists the file that is to be downloaded, I copy and paste the name of it into Google, and check the file out. A couple of times already I was caught nearly downloading something that was not healthy for my computer, but by checking it out, I knew to blow it away.

If the program is something that you think you want or need, you can always check with the computer gurus on A2K. We have some folks here with a lot of knowledge, who are always happy to help.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 02:26 pm
Well, worst-case scenarios can include nasty things like spyware, keyloggers, and other malware that can come with a download.

Phoenix has it right. Anyway, what program could be so urgently needed that it's worth gambling your computer's health instead of waiting a day or two and checking it out.
0 Replies