Apples

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 04:11 pm
An unemployed man walks into a shipping warehouse on the wharf. He goes to the foreman and asks for a job. The foreman says he`ll give him a job if he can figure out a problem with 10 bushels of apples. Nine of the bushels are full of apples weighing 1 pound each. But one bushel contains apples weighing 1.1 pound each. All of the bushels contain the same number of apples. The foreman wants to know which bushel has the heavy apples. There is a scale, but he can only make one measurement on the scale. Making only one weight measurement,how can the man find which bushel contains the heavy apples? He can include any combination of bushels or apples on the scale.

Chib can't play, again!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,179 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Alexandra

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 04:16 pm
Is he allowed to take one apple from each bushel????If he can, than he only have to remember the order he was taking them, and when did the scale increased for 1.1 pound. Yes?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 04:26 pm
Nope, he has to take the apples then put them on the scale.
0 Replies

Alexandra

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 02:05 pm
Ok, there is the solution (at least, I think it is...):
the guy takes from each bushel different number of apples in following sequence: from first one he takes one apple, from second he takes two apples, from the third one he takes three apples, ..., from the tenth bushel he takes 10. If the scale shows the total weight 55,* pounds - for exapmle 55.6 pounds, he knows that the sixth bushel contains those weighing 1.1 pound each...that means, the number in the decimal places will show him which bushel contains the heavy apples.

Craven, make my day and tell me I'm right !!!!!! Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 02:12 pm
You KNOW you're right!
0 Replies

Alexandra

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 03:43 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies