Other Boards

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 02:08 am
I recognize a certain degree of both disloyalty and 'spam' in this kind of topic, but nevertheless I trust the members of this board more than my ability to utilize search engines.

Where are the good philosophy boards? Or, how in the hell do you search for a good board with search engines?

My experience has led to a few nice places that I either frequented or frequent; but overall, when I do my searches with terms I think will land me a nice board, I get the same old tired results - and I know there's more boards out there that aren't showing up on Google. So how do you find them?

So, the short of it would be to simply ask: what other boards do you frequent? Where can I find a nice, quite community of thinkers?

As for my own additions to whatever list may evolve, I'm currently a member at frostcloud.com and madphilosopers.com. I also used to be a regular at atheistnetwork.com and graveyardofthegods.com, but have since moved on.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 822 • Replies: 15
No top replies

spendius

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 03:24 am
When you are making love to a lady do you ask her if she knows any other ladies who would meet with your approval?

It isn't all that complimentary to tell us you trust A2K more than your ability to use search engines.
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 04:02 am
Gee, thanks. What a helpful response.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 06:01 am
Best I can offer you is that you go to various search engines such as Alta Vista, Google, Dogpile etc. and enter in the words "philosophy boards" "Philosophy forums" "Philosophy forum boards" and various other key words which may help you to locate the exact one that you are searching for. It is hard to know exactly which one of the boards or forums out there would best suit your needs, since some may be slanted in directions against your own grain. Check out big-board.com as well since they may be able to link you into something.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 06:18 am
I Googled "philosophy forums", and came up with 11,500,000 hits. Try it, and check out a few.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 07:58 am
Nietzsche wrote-

Quote:
Gee, thanks. What a helpful response.

It's okay.You're welcome.

And to help you further improve your popularity my advice is to shave that "tash" off.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 08:04 am
What are you looking for? I have a suspicion that it is the people frequenting the boards that make it interesting, not the boards themselves. I haven't searched as thoroughly as I might, but as of yet I have not encountered a forum with a greater variety of members than A2K. There's everything here, from christian fanatics to dusty scientist. Maybe what we lack is a portion of muslim extrimists to make the representation complete? Confused ?

Specific philosopher "fan sites" might be what you're looking for. Many of them contain forums in wich users can discuss publications and ideas of the philosopher in question.
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 12:51 pm
I guess I was just wondering if anyone knew of any diamonds in the rough. Doesn't seem to be the case. Oh well. And for the record, I like it here. It's not like I'm asking, "Hey, anyone know of any better boards?" I'm just looking for more boards.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 12:52 pm
All I can think of is:
Try lots of different search engines (especially the smaller ones)
Refine your searches. What EXACTLY do you want out a board? If you're typing in 'philosophy' etc. you'll get mostly garbage.

You probably know this already, but I don't frequent a lot of philo boards myself. I originally found A2K looking for a writing forum! Now I don't spend much time in that area at all.

good luck
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 01:26 pm
Smaller search engines. That's the first real advice I've gotten, thank you.
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 01:27 pm
spendius wrote:
And to help you further improve your popularity my advice is to shave that "tash" off.

What in the heck is wrong with my stash??
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 02:37 pm
It's 'orrible.I couldn't talk to anybody in the pub who had a top-lip yard brush like that.I'd be laughing too much.Still,I suppose it goes with the eyebrows and the beetling stare.Does it get speckled with froth when drinking John Smith Extra Smooth?

Has it any advantages apart from saving half your dinner for later.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 02:53 pm
I find it to be a rather good looking moustache, seems to me Spendi you want something that you can't have.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 02:55 pm
Well he reminds me of a Yorkshire Mill Owner,
you should mind your manners Spendius, speaking to a gentleman in that inappropriate vein.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 03:59 pm
Why the smaller ones, flushd?

Have you checked the portal, Nietzsche?

(Top right hand of the page:
Home :: Forums :: Portal :: Shop :: Toolbar. Click on portal.....)

It may have some philosophy sites, I am not sure.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 07:50 pm
well there's www.philosophyforums.com.
0 Replies