Movies for this Halloween! (Evil Dead & others)

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 11:46 pm
I'm getting together with all my friends for a Halloween-movie-fest on the 31st. However, some of them are a bit squeamish when it comes to straight-ahead horror, so I was thinking of horror pics laced with some offbeat elements, such as conventional comedy or thriller stylings. The two that came to mind were the Frighteners and Shaun of the Dead.

I've heard Sam Raimi's Evil Dead trilogy is in this vein, but have yet to see any of them. Which of the three is best? How good are they really?

Another recommendation I got was Peter Jackson's Dead Alive (though they say it's the goriest film ever done!) and Re-animator.

Any other suggestions on these kinds of Halloween films?
Thanks & cheers...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 904 • Replies: 10
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 09:39 am
I loved both Evil Dead and Dead Alive. D.A. is indeed gory, but it's so over the top that it's laugh-out-loud, jaw-dropping gory.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 11:52 am
If I remember correctly, Peter Jackson used something like 300 liters of fake blood just for the final segment of Dead Alive. Dead Alive and the Evil Dead movies are definitely cult classics--are your friends the type who like such films?

And who cares if their squeamish?! It's Halloween--let 'em squirm! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 08:36 am
I recommend a Canadian film called
GINGER SNAPS, it's a werewolf film with
a difference. There are actually 3 films
in the series. The other 2 are GINGER SNAPS 2
and GINGER SNAPS BACK. I'd go with the
first one.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 12:24 pm
"The Haunting," but the Robert Wise version, not the remake with Liam Neeson. It's black-and-white and psychologically one of the scariest movies ever made. The bulging door effect was coped by Disney in their Haunted Mansion.
0 Replies

shrek1

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 04:21 pm
I like Evil Dead
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 07:58 pm
The best Evil Dead film is Army of Darkness
Another good Bruce Campbell film is Bubba-Ho-Tep
0 Replies

eliana09

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 10:54 am
Boo hoo it already passed, but I can recommend you some movies for the next one Razz

I've seen both Evil Dead and Dead Alive, but I got to say I prefer Resident Evil over both.. they're all alike so it doesn't really matter

My personal fav.. serial demented killers that make me turn on the light.. here we can have and movie that has Jason in it.. or something with Freddy.. or maybe Freddy vs. Jason that has both in it but it's a bit.. over the top..

Then there's a movie good for two holidays, and it's called Valentine
0 Replies

KetchupLady

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 09:07 am
I also really dig Underworld ...they have vampires and warewolves in the same movie--how much more Halloween can you get than that? Plus the costumes are pretty Goth and stuff. The sequel comes out in Jan and will be awesome!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 10:20 am
thiefoflight wrote:
I recommend a Canadian film called
GINGER SNAPS, it's a werewolf film with
a difference. There are actually 3 films
in the series. The other 2 are GINGER SNAPS 2
and GINGER SNAPS BACK. I'd go with the
first one.

Is that the one with thte girls in it and a guy that i think was a 'dropout'.
If it is I stumbled across it a couple of years back and I was pleasently entertined.Very different, couldnt stop watching it.
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 11:08 am
It's about two goth sisters who live in surburbia
who are social outcasts. one of them is bitten
by a wolf.
If you can find the other two films they are worth
watching also.
0 Replies