ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 07:56 pm
Wilma, good idea.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 08:23 pm
I had a friend who named her dog "Loretta" because they were always yelling "Get Back!" when she was little.

(That's a Beatles thing for you youngsters.)

Another friend named his dog "Damn It" becauseit was a really bad dog.

I had a cat named "Mrrantz" because that is the sound she made when she cried.

Other names I have used: Monster, Rufus, Punk, Mark, Hellifiknow, Web 1, Web 2 (I couldn't tell them apart), Walt Disney, Bullseye, Scherazade.

I've had a lot of pets so I'll probably remember more good names.

I hope this helps.

(I still have my fingers crossed for Harriet Beecher Stowe.)
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 08:28 pm
farmerman wrote:
well, I just checked with the board of selections and they have stated that "War Pig" is right out

I don't recall the last time I have been this crippled by disappointment.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 08:29 pm
Beecher...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 08:32 pm
coonster has a nice ring to it.

Or coonski
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 10:06 pm
Re: NAME A COON CAT
I had to go right back to the start of this thread, farmerman, to refresh my memory about the looks & character of this little kitten:

farmerman wrote:
While I was out working last week, my wife, from a secret place in Maine, adopted a Maine Coon Kitten from the Calais Me. rescue league. Its a little sweetheart. Its a mostly tabby with some tortoise marks and big white bib, hairy ears, and huge white paws.
Its a lover of anything that pets or feeds it. It chirps , has a very teeny meow, and its a female kitten about 16 weeks. It weighs just under 5 pounds so its gotta weigh to go.
It needs a name, something cool. I tried some names from the Sopranos and Carmella or MEadow dont cut it.( YEH we already tried Big Pussy but somehow it didnt take)

Well know it when we hear it. So if someone skilled in cat naming could lend a hand we'd be forever grateful.

Ah, she sounds a delight! Very Happy Got any photographs to post? (I'm not a 100% certain about the distinctive features of Maine Coons. Short hairs, are they? Confused )
Anyways, I think the big white paws, large ears & her extraordinary chirping skills Very Happy may lead to a suitable name: Socks? (No, too many of them already.) Sparrow?/quail?/robbin red breast? (good god, no! Laughing )
Hmmmm ... characters who wear tuxedos? All I can think of is Fred Astaire. No. Edith Piaf? Hmmmm, maybe! Marlene? (thinking tuxedo)
Admit it, I'm hopeless, sorry! Sad Perhaps translate some of the suggested names into Ukrainian & see if any have a good ring to them? What is big paws or white paws in Ukrainian? Or little bird?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 11:00 pm
The name Marlene did cross my mind...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 11:27 pm
ossobuco wrote:
The name Marlene did cross my mind...

Very Happy But I wonder how it would sound in Ukrainian, osso? :wink:

Something not to be forgotten, farmerman: Any name you call a critter has to be one that you feel 100% comfortable about calling out in public places! I have visions of you calling: "Reebok, Reebok, Reebok!" & not feeling TOO foolish in front of neighbours. OK, so how do you feel about: "Coonski, Coonski, Coonski! Dinner! " ? I must confess to feeling a smidgeon ridiculous about my cat, Flatty! It was even worse when he was Flatcat! Embarrassed Try calling THAT a few times! (BTW, I didn't choose the name. I refuse to take the blame! Laughing ) So OK, a name that rolls easily off the tongue & also doesn't damage your reputation in your community. :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 11:31 pm
At least it wasn't Fluffer. Flluuuuuuuufffffffeeerrrrrrrrr!!!!

Sad story re that neighbor, so never mind. But I'll never ever name a cat Fluffer..
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 11:35 pm
Laughing osso.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 02:23 am
Big paws in slovak: Labiska [luh-bee-ska]
dunno in ukrainian, but must be something similar
Small paws: Packy [puh-tsky] or ťapky [tyapky]

I love Ťapky
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 08:51 am
I have easily come up with the best names thus far. War Pig and Coonster.

Who the hell would not want to have cats with those names?

I am a cat-naming god.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 11:19 am
a friend gave us a name thats in the pot , its an Algonquin word, "Nika" it means little racoon.

Gus, comment about WAr Pig from the family ranged from
"Cool"-that would bve a great name for a rock band
to

"Yeah right"

I like some of yours DAg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 11:26 am
msolga- Where did you ever get the ridiculous notion that cats answer to their names. Reebok was hopeless, but hed go limp and whimper queitly as you dragged him like a swiffer across the floor.
Maine coons are, long hairs with hairy ears with long tips of fur like a lynx. They also have very bushy tails that they use as mood indicators
Up=happy
Up and shaped like a question mark=really happy
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 12:01 pm
Is Toonces still in the running....?

I knew this guy who had a male pup he named Checyadic.

Every time he told the dog to do something, Checyadic had to put his head down into his gonads for a second, to see if this course of action was all right with his penis.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 08:54 pm
There was an archeological excavation up in Castine Maine some years ago that had a Maine Coon Cat as the excavation mascot. On hot summer days at lunchtime when everyone was off the site, he would go down into the excavation units and stretch out on the cool freshly exposed earth. He covered most of an excavation unit (1 meter square). When everyone got back into their units they would just move him over to an unoccupied unit and he'd snooze on. A very mellow cat.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 09:19 pm
Mellow.

Now there's a name...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 09:20 pm
Aw, give up and name the poor thing hairball.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 09:23 pm
sigh,

roger may be right..
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 04:36 am
farmerman wrote:
msolga- Where did you ever get the ridiculous notion that cats answer to their names. Reebok was hopeless, but hed go limp and whimper queitly as you dragged him like a swiffer across the floor.

Very Happy I do like the sound of Reebok!
But you didn't train him right, farmerman! ALL cats answer to their name, no matter how silly! Why, I had one called Rats & he always appeared after I'd made a fool of myself calling him in the street!

Hey, I like Nika! Very Happy
0 Replies