The End of Faith by Sam Harris

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 03:48 pm
Mesquite,

I fully understand what you are saying. We have had this conversation before. I told you what I could live with. I also told you that I wasn't happy about the compromise you and I discussed but I would go along with it.

But, until it happens, I will fight to keep God right where He is.

So, does this mean that if we take God out of the public sector no Christian can run for office? Because you cannot possibly believe that someone can be a Christian and not even in some slight way ignore that when making decisions?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 04:12 pm
BBB
People who have not read the subject book on a thread, but proceed to try to make the thread about them instead of the subject need to understand it is NOT about THEM.

If they want to have a discussion about THEM, they should start a thread about THEM. Anyone eager to discuss THEM can participate.

In the meantime, the topic of this thread is Sam Harris' book.

BBB
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 04:41 pm
fresco wrote:
"Freedom of the individual" is always relative to its effect on others and depends on historical context. If we take an extreme aspect of the argument, that faith is is a "drug" which has effects ranging from the soporiphic, through the euphoric to the manic, the question for society is whether to regulate the usage given that far more dangerous results can occur in the modern era relative to previous times.

I like your drug analogy. Applying it to today's climate, we have the manics being enabled by the euphorics, while the soporifics lay back and watch.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 04:50 pm
Momma Angel,

You rightly claim that a person cannot be separated from his/her beliefs, but do you not see that the origin of such beliefs and therefore the very concept of your own "self" might lie entirely within the culture which reared you ? Of course, in order to protect the integrity of the "self" you might dismiss this and argue that your "God" is culture independent. In other words you will reject the public anthropological evidence in favour of personal ineffable experience. Such is the nature of "faith" whether it be that of the "sane" or the "insane"... and that is Harris's point.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 04:54 pm
mesquite

Precisely...!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 06:49 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Green Witch,
Cherry pickers? Oh yeah, don't like them much either.
...Okay, here's where I really have a comment. You seem to be like quite a few of the non-believers I have run into on these threads. Using only the OT and its laws.

If you don't cherry pick, than you must believe and obey everything as written in the Bible. I can understand following the words of Jesus to guide you in life, but do you agree with Paul about slaves obeying their masters and his misogynist view of women? Was Paul just plain wrong? Wasn't God dictating to him?

Momma Angel wrote:
The OT is only a part of the character of God. Just as in reading any book, you have to read from beginning to end to get the whole story.

I have read the Bible from end to end and attended bible classes as a teenager. I am familiar with the both the old and new testament. I have also read the Koran, the Upanishads, the Bhagavad gita, various Buddhist text and most world mythologies.

I do believe in a spiritual being(s) greater than ourselves, or at least I hope someone is out there taking notes. I don't think this "God" interferes much with the lives of people on earth, because if he does- he sure must hate poor people.

Momma Angel wrote:
Oh, and what Goddess are you speaking of if you don't mind my asking?
Why the one that created the world, of course.

My real concern is government controlled by religious zealots - it's a bad mix and everyone loses. I admit this current administration has made me hostile to people who claim a deep Christian faith. I never felt any hostility to any faith in the pre-Bush era, but now I feel I must defend my rights and those of others. I don't like faith based programs, especially when some groups (Christians) are being funded better than other. I don't like the fact that these groups have been permitted to discriminate against other faiths when hiring. So MA, we are both the victims of zealots, I am suspicious of the faithful and you are put into the position of having to defend your beliefs. Let's hope for a better future.
0 Replies