No top replies

MrIVI

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 06:49 am
Oh, Man!...
No replies?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 07:13 am
I dont quite get what you mean by anti bacterial??
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 07:17 am
Me either...how is silver anti bacterial?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 07:31 am
You don't kill too many bacteria with a wooden stake through the heart.

Most of your list doesn't kill vampires.
Garlic only deters them.
Silver only kills in the form of a bullet if I recall
never heard of salt unless maybe used to salt their crypt but it doesn't kill them directly

running water? never heard of it
0 Replies

MrIVI

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 10:28 am
Yes, silver is an Anti-Bacterial that is actually quite common especially now having to do with a deodorizers. (Bacteria is what makes sweat stink. Sweat itself only smells like salt.) Anyway, the military and often people who simply hunt animals use silver weave in their clothing to keep their clothing from smelling poorly. There are an a plethora of other anti-bacterial properties, but for now I won't go into them.

Also, a wooden stake would not count as a non-antibacterial vampire killer because: (My disclaimer said no weapons.)

PS: I did intend to word the post saying, "something that could be used against vampires" but I just wasn't thinking and I said kill. "So I'd like to hear about anything that can be used against." Yet, Garlic, is used in the ritual to kill vampires just as much as the stake. (Hollywood has ruined vampires) But the perfect execution of a vampire is, "Stake through the heart, Garlic in the mouth, cut off the head, and burn it."
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 03:36 pm
Silver doesn't do anything to vampires. Silver bullets are (per Universal Studios) the only way to kill werewolves (wolfsbane will ward them off, but won't kill them).

According to legend, vampires cannot cross running water. Not sure what the rationale is there, but that never seemed to stop any literary or cinematic vampires. Holy water will cause first- or second-degree burns on a vampire, but probably won't do one in.

MrIVI wrote:
But the perfect execution of a vampire is, "Stake through the heart, Garlic in the mouth, cut off the head, and burn it."

You forgot "and bury the corpse at a crossroads." Indeed, you forgot "crosses" from your list entirely. Crosses don't necessarily kill vampires (although a cross driven through the heart is a good substitute for a stake), but they are pretty good at keeping them at bay. Mirrors don't affect vampires, they just give them the creeps because they don't show a vampire's reflection.

I've never heard anything about salt or fire being particularly efficacious against vampires. Fire is used to kill (or at least freak out) Frankenstein monsters. Salt is used to kill garden slugs.
0 Replies

MrIVI

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 07:11 pm
Neither European nor Pop Mythology are the end of all Myths.
Silver comes to play in many non-European myths. For instance, Silver emulates were hung in the windows of Jewish Homes to keep back Vampire Lillith (First wife of Adam in Hebrew Mythology.)

Further, I alreay outlawed crosses in the original post because they are religious objects.

And about running water, running water is the greatest stretch I've yet seen in my scheme, although, i think I'm fairly well covered seeing that water is not only the most common substance for washing (IE sanitation) but is is also required by the FDA as an element in Sterilization: 250 degrees F and 20% humidity. The humidity as actually required to insure mortality of the bacteria.
0 Replies

Monkeon

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 01:01 pm
The best material on this subject is most probably Bram Stoker's old classic, Dracula. Professor Van Helsing has many theories on repelling or killing vampires
0 Replies

KetchupLady

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 01:44 pm
Don't know a whole lot about the subject, but suggest that you rent Underworld--deals with vampires AND werewolves trying to kill eachother. Pretty fun movie and the sequel's coming out sometime in Jan.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 02:23 pm
I can see why, tanentially, this is in the Film forum, but it is a stretch. However, given that it is found in this forum, most of MrIVI's nonsense is just that--nonsense.

On an hilarious note, however, one of the all time classic and entertaining vampire films is Roman Polanski's The Fearless Vampire Killers--which is what i thought this thread was about when i saw it in the list. One of the most hilarious scenes in motion picture history is the homosexual vampire putting the moves on the ardent young assistant to the ancient Professor . . . and the scenes of Sharon Tate in the bath ain't so bad, either . . .

http://www.360-berlin.de/images/hbe/flm186.jpg
0 Replies