can one love completely without complete understanding?

cavfancier

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 09:55 am
sofia, au, I do think we both overlook a lot of things for the sake of love, heh, though it has taken time....a long time before I was married, a married friend of mine said that the day would come when I would need "a room." Personally, I think it might have something to do with her decision to do our taxes this year....still say we should have had someone else do them...

kuvasz, I am often agape (a-gayp) at some of the things my wife says and/or does....still here though...perhaps there is a double meaning there. Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 09:57 am
au, my tongue may be completely scarred in a year or two, but I am willing to try biting it a little more often Very Happy
0 Replies

ArtUnbound

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 07:38 pm
I know the meaning of 'agape', it's not about the things of ordinary life. It says: What if you wake up one morning and you recognize a feeling so deep, warm and convincing that you could only call it love?

It's a young beautiful Spring day and I walk along the water and see the blossom trees sparkling in the sun, so that I just have to stand and watch. Everything else stops, no sound from the city disturbs my impression.
I just stand there and gaze.
Is that love?

Every next day I take a walk to those trees, to drink that light on the blossoms, until I'm drunk with the impressions and go home, is that love?

On the seventh day, upon hearing that a storm is expected, I decide to take my camera before the beauty's gone, and while I'm taking pictures I hear a voice: 'They're just beautiful aren't they?'
I look up into the eyes of a pretty woman who says: 'I go here every day after work as long as it lasts' and I smile and say: 'I could send you a picture when it's ready' and she waves and rides along...

We both loved the impressions that the tree created in us, and by sharing them we made a friend, for a minute or two.
But we didn't know each other.

I didn't know the tree either, just gazed and wondered.

There's 'agape' in all of this, I think, but love? Love expects knowledge to be understood, maybe.
0 Replies

Dek

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 05:53 am
The unconditional love of a child for its parents and vice versa must be a very hard thing to choose not to feel
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 07:26 am
Dec
I think we are talking about loving someone other than family and pets.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 07:40 am
I found this quite intriguing:

http://www.scriptureman.com/love-def.html
0 Replies

Dek

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 10:53 am
Re: can one love completely without complete understanding?
gezzy, not sure we are, the 1st post in the thread...

kuvasz wrote:
it seems that to do so is what faith is all about. whether the love is for a family, a friend, or God.

Although I don't agree that its a case of faith either
0 Replies

Dek

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 10:57 am
Interesting link

Quote:
Love Endures all things

Unconditional love endures all things?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 11:44 am
Dek, I think, to answer that question logically: If love is 'unconditional', i.e. absolute, without qualifying conditions, it must, by definition endure all things. The question is, given human nature, is it possible?
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 11:48 am
I love my family unconditionally. I would die for any one of them.

I have a daughter who I have a great deal of difficulty understanding. She hurts me at times, but I know it's because of some problem within her. I hope that some day she will come to understand and love herself so she can love others in a way that is more fulfilling than any other emotion on earth. I love her just as much as any of the others in spite of the fact that I don't understand her.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 02:42 pm
I think we al have at least someone we love unconditionally, and I think we love most people with conditions. This is a neat thread, because I realized most of our spousal or romantic relationships are conditional.

This is sort of sad to me, but true, nontheless. If we are cheated on or beaten or abused financially--I don't think we will continue with our spouses... I think if our spouse tried to kill us, we would fight back--yet, (I know creepy thought, but to illustrate that ultimate sacrificial love)--if for some reason our child attempted to kill us, we would die with a perplexed look on our face...

Unconditional love makes you completely and utterly vulnerable to the behavior of the one you love. This is a scary spot to be in.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 02:59 pm
Dek
You're right. My mistake. I have always loved my family and pets unconditionally. When it comes to loving other people though, I never had control over my feeling and many times I wish I had.
0 Replies

ArtUnbound

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 05:49 pm
I've heard it say, that parents have an ability to love their children that children do not have towards their parents.
Now if that be true, there could be logic in it - either logic, or biology. You can hardly deny what you created, or can you? (Exceptions, exceptions). Now, what biological reason do children have to love their parents the same way?
None - if we love our parents it's for many reasons but not the one of creation.

Sofia, would that be what the story of Oedipus is telling us?

And, if we love someone unconditionally, could it be that it is because he or she resembles our parents so much in a way, that we cannot resist?

After all, we do not have another mirror, than our parents. Maybe you don't like the mirror and throw it away, but that doesn't give you another.

To me, to love someone unconditionally, it means that you learnt to love him/her, but also, that there was a spark somewhere that taught you to want to learn.

The story of the tree and the girl was a story of want to learn.

Love comes later.
0 Replies