How much does environment effect mood?

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 08:06 am
What things affect people's mood the most?

Music, colors, temperature?

I know for me, the music I listen to has a lot to do with how I am feeling. It can bring you up, or pull you down.

Also anyone's personal experience will be appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,552 • Replies: 10
No top replies

material girl

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 08:14 am
The thing about Bridget Jones that bugs me is that Im single and I wear big pants but I dont put on sad 'I cant live if living is without you' music.
I put on happy bouncy fling myself round the room music.Yes I get unhappy for being single but why would I want to drag myself down with dull music!!

I went from working in a Toyshop, can you imagine the colours, red carpetting, boxes of every colour imaginable,people all over the place in lovely coloyrs, kids in cool fun clothes, our uniforms were red or blue, now I work in an office, bare floorboards, half painted white/peach walls,wires and rubbish everywhere.I dodnt realise it would have so much of an effect on me.I dodnt realise the colour in my old work until I sat and looked round and thought how awful this place is!

I have the radio on at work ,that makes it a bit more bareable.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 11:18 am
yes environment, colour and sound affect my mood.

Get out onto the beach with the breeze blowing and cool clean air and I feel great Very Happy - cooped up in the city, unable to see the sky Crying or Very sad

Jangling commercial or country music that I can't escape or high noise levels make me very edgy and angry.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 11:22 am
it depends on the environment. when i'm in traffic gridlock, or on a tropical beach, it has considerable effect on my mood.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 12:05 pm
music, color, energy, sound, light, smells, furniture positions, wall color,
everything basically.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:04 pm
What kind of studies could be done to find out how much effect it really has?

Just controlled studies where the person's emtions are observed?
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:15 pm
mine is the weather...the most annoying time is the equinox winds here
hot and windy as hell! too hot to stay inside too windy to go outside, curtains flapping around all over the place....to me thats annoying

Rain.....for days on end it can rain and rain here some weeks..depressing!

I suppose moods can derive from anything really, when you think about it
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:17 pm
Yes I agree, moods can derive from anything, even food intake, sleep, etc.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 02:38 am
CarbonSystem wrote:
What kind of studies could be done to find out how much effect it really has?

Just controlled studies where the person's emtions are observed?

many studies have been done - one that I can't quote the source of as we learned about it at college many years ago - was on the psychological effects of colour used to paint rooms. In the workplace red led to more arguments and aggression, whereas soft blues and greens calmed people down.

The colours around me matter to me a lot.

I certainly found, as a young mum, that the colours I wore affected how much people helped me on and off buses with baby, buggy and shopping. Wearing a cheerful yellow top - no-one helped me. Wearing a soft pink top they'd carry everything on for me and make sure I had a seat - I would deliberately wear the pink!!!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 04:38 am
There is a recognised condition called SAD(Seasonal something)which effects many people who are effected by winter/bad weather.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 01:10 pm
I am most affected by colour and light.

It is autumn here, and dingy grey with barely any sun. I have been wearing bright red sweaters, yellow hats, etc. and invested in tanning sessions.
Otherwise, I would be a mess right now. I would just sleep and cry.
0 Replies