ScanDisk

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 03:28 pm
I use Windows Me, and am trying to get ScanDisk to run. Every time I try, after a few minutes I get a message saying that ScanDisk has restarted 10 times because another program is running in the background. I have closed every program (including Background) except for Explorer and SysTray but continue to get this message. This seems odd, since the only programs left are Explorer, Systray, and ScanDisk itself.

I have an external secondary hard drive, and ScanDisk does very nicely there, with only Norton AV closed.

What can I do??? Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,078 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 03:31 pm
You are not on the internet, when running scandisk, I suppose?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 03:39 pm
ScanDisk
Nope, just running the computer plain and barebones.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 03:44 pm
Since this has been the only been the only problem, when I had ME and used scandisc ...
Sorry, no idea.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 03:56 pm
I am not familiar with ME, but I think scandisc can run well in the "safe mode."
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 04:11 pm
TomKitten, When we ran our computer on windows Me, ScanDisk ran all the time without any encouragement from us. Now that we are on windows xp, it rarely runs, and I like it that way. No more interruptions. c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 04:12 pm
BTW, no more lockups of our computer. Windows me had lockups all the time. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 05:38 pm
ScanDisk
Gee, ciceroneimposter - tell me about it! Rolling Eyes I'm between a rock and a hard place here - I was very happy with Windows 98, but the new (not so new any more, actually) beast came with Windows Me, and I'm stuck. I know XP is much more stable, but it has some features I don't think I like - not to mention I don't feel like shelling out anything for it at the moment. So I have to make do with Me.

Anyway, I never let ScanDisk run in the background, just when I want it, so I don't know how it would work, given that it doesn't work when called upon...

However, I have Norton Utilities, and that does a nice job, so I'm going to forget ScanDisk, at least for now.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 06:18 pm
Tomkitten, I've noticed that every time windows Me froze, and we had to turn off the computer, ScanDisk would run. With windows Xp, it doesn't freeze, so there's no need for ScanDisk to run. When we bought our HP computer, it came with windows Me. I was able to get the upgrade to windows Xp by paying less than $30. Worth every penny. c.i.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 07:36 pm
ScanDisk
Less than $30???? Surprised How did you manage that? Was it early, when perhaps Microsoft was trying to tempt people into upgrading with special offers or some such thing? I wonder if that kind of expenditure would be possible today.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 07:39 pm
ScanDisk
PS - yes, I keep running into that problem. And ScanDisk seems to work fine then, perhaps because it's not the thorough scan, just the quickie?
Also, I find that Me is much more apt to freeze when on the Internet; then I have to go to Ctrl-Alt-Del and lose the Internet, get shut down, get ScanDisked, then get back to work...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 07:49 pm
Running it in safemode is a good idea.

Norton Utilities often causes problems with windows own built in utilities BTW.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 09:37 pm
Check with your computer manufacturer. They might have a deal through their web site. Give it a try, nothing to lose. c.i.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 10:05 pm
Hi Tomkitten - count me in that club of not-happy-with-ME-users. I too had that rotten Scan Disk problem and I see on many posting forums for computer tech talk that it is a perennial question with ME, especially. The mention you made of only having Systray, Explorer running, and shutting down Norton sounds so familiar. Craven's idea of using Safe mode is the way to go. I always double check to make sure to turn off Zone Alarm Plus, all Norton, and also the screensaver if I have one currently "on". I do really well in general by keeping up with defrag and periodic housekeeping, manual and by software programs of various types. I too hope to find an economical XP upgrade, although I am thinking that I may do well to just acquire a second, sportscar - oops, I mean new computer. LOL! :wink:
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 06:05 pm
ScanDisk
I've had it I've had it I Have Had It Mad I'm going to spring for XP, and the heck with Evil or Very Mad ME. I spend more time being frozen and having to do Ctrl-Alt-Del than I do reading my email.

My question now is what is the best way to install it. Do I remove ME altogether or do I install XP alongside it, to make sure that XP works properly and I'm not left high and dry.

Is it true that I *have* to use Passport and store all my passwords in it?
What are the pitfalls to watch for with XP - I'm sure there are some.

Any and all advice will be more than welcome.

Mad Mad Mad
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 06:12 pm
If you get the upgrade, you do not need to remove windows Me before loading windows Xp. I'm sure the windows Xp will have a booklet that explains what needs to be done in either case. c.i.
0 Replies