Share folders between computers! Help!

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 12:22 pm
Hi, I have windows XP and my girlfriend has a computer as well with windows XP on it... she just got a laptop and now she wants to transfer all her files to my computer, but she doesn't have a burner... so how do I get access to computer to put files onto my comp? If it helps we both share the same internet connection and i'm the host computer... thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 525 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 01:33 pm
Use PC Anywhere. Load it on both machines. There is a file transfer utility that comes with it.

Another option, if you don't feel like buying PC Anywhere, is to look for something similar in freeware or open source code, but be aware that, since these programs offer access into your computer, you might be giving a hacker a key to your house, as it were. With PC Anywhere, at least it's all reputable.

There are also portable hard drives, portable burners and portable zip drives out there. Maxtor and LaCie make portable hard drives. I've used both at work, I prefer LaCie very slightly, but they're both easy to use. I am unsure of the prices.

We also have portable DVD burners at work, can't recall the brands, they are also easy to use, just use them with a burner utility like Roxio.

Iomega makes portable zip drives. The thing of it is, though, that they can only take their own disks. However, we've had an Iomega at home for years now (we have a 250) and it's one of the more reliable pieces of electronics that we own. You just buy one, and ferry it back and forth between machines, along with its disks.

Two other options. (1) Email files back and forth. Sure, there are limitations, but no access issues.
(2) Sneakernet.

What's sneakernet? Why, you burn a DVD or CD or just put files on a separate portable hard drive or even a diskette, then you put on your sneakers and walk them over to the other PC.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 09:37 pm
It's a lot faster and easier to share a folder and just transfer across the network.

If the computers are really networked, you can enable sharing of any folder from the properties dialogue and then copy the files into it.
0 Replies