Question on Speed reading...

nishant

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 01:20 pm
Hello everyone! I've been on the EyeQ program for a week now and I'm at Session 6 currenly. If i'm not wrong, from Session 1-6 i'm supposed to try and push myself to simply identify the words in the passages as fast as possible without worrying about comprehension. But my problem is, I'm able to read at around 700-800WPM now after starting on the program, but I register/comprehend probably 10-20% of what I read, do you guys who have had success with the program have any tips for me? I can't seem to drown out that voice (sub-vocalisation) that's going on in my head. Any help will be deeply appreciated!

Cheers!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,055 • Replies: 5
No top replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 01:26 pm
OH Wow!

For a few months, I have been sort of mystified by this Speed Reading. My present speed is 350 wpm, higher than average i know, but i wish to raise it to 1800- the highest ever reached!

is it necessary i take up some course like that, no way could i do it with practice on my own?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 02:01 pm
I've never understood why anyone wants to Speed-Read. For me, part of the great pleasure of reading is savoring the words. Enjoyment and complete comprehension is everything, speed -- for me -- is nothing.
0 Replies

nishant

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 11:34 pm
It's really more for studying purposes, when you have to sit down with 10 medical books for your exams, it'd really help if you could speed read.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 08:23 am
But how much do you actually retain that way? It seems to me that reading a lot of words really fast would cause the mind to skip over a lot of meanings.
0 Replies

jddev

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 09:49 am
Speed reading is great! The last thing you want though is to lose comprehension. I don't know the specifics of the EyeQ program that you've mentioned, however I did use some software to help me read faster and comprehend more.

I think it's a misconception that if you are reading faster you will understand less. The basic premise behind "speed" reading is to simply remove old bad habits such as subvocalization. The mind can process and absorb information that you are reading much, much quicker than we can speak it. In my experience, I have found that I often comprehend more. When reading very technical information that uses a great deal of logic in its explanation -- or for that matter when reading anything that sparks a great deal of thought, my reading speed slows accordingly so that I can still fully comprehend the material. Despite this slowing down, I am still able to enjoy the information moreso, because I am not distracted by the need to subvocalize. This actually frees the mind up to think about the material, and can ultimately lead to a better understanding of it.

To avoid subvocalizing, you may want to try consciously relaxing your voicebox while you read. This, of course, takes some of your mind's focus away from the reading material, so don't be surprised if you still have trouble with your comprehension at such high speeds. As you begin to naturally read without subvocalizing, you will be able to pick up the faster speeds without any trouble.

I went from about 200 wpm to roughly 750 wpm with my comprehension at 95-100% consistently. As it stands now, I have begun to go back on my old bad habits though, so I am looking for some new software to work with (preferrably freeware). I always enjoyed building my "site phrases". That was the best part.
0 Replies