September Scholar

spendius

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 09:24 am
Chuck-

You're right.I'm not acquainted with GBDG and I never will be.Nobody will ever enlighten me about a book that can hold a candle to the author.I must have had thousands of discussions about books in my time with perhaps hundreds of people.I wasn't counting.Most of the books I consider "great" would not be discussable at all in a bourgeois setting.Just the first sentence of Pride and Prejudice,which is not quite "great" is undiscussable in polite company which is the sort of company I would expect to find at GBDGs.
Some of your other comments indicate you have not read my 'essay' to the point that you make comments that are contrary to that essay.
Chuck

Chuck-

You're right.I'm not acquainted with GBDG and I never will be.Nobody will ever enlighten me about a book that can hold a candle to the author.I must have had thousands of discussions about books in my time with perhaps hundreds of people.I wasn't counting.Most of the books I consider "great" would not be discussable at all in a bourgeois setting.Just the first sentence of Pride and Prejudice,which is not quite "great" is undiscussable in polite company which is the sort of company I would expect to find at GBDGs.

What books are discussed?Who decides which are great.

Quote:

Some of your other comments indicate you have not read my 'essay' to the point that you make comments that are contrary to that essay.

I apologise in that case.It may be due to too many points being raised at once.Which essay am I at fault with.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 09:30 am
Sorry about that.No idea why.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 12:58 pm
Spendius

This is a list of 15 selections for reading and discussion. There are 60 more that I won't list. The list was compiled by Mortimer Adler and a group of scholars in the 1930s. This was done under a government grant as part of a program to provide jobs during the depression.

This two-volume series includes 15 selections and a Reader's Aid with interpretive questions for each selection.

Rothschild's Fiddle*
Anton Chekhov

On Happiness
Aristotle

The Apology*
Plato

Heart of Darkness*
Joseph Conrad

Conscience
Immanuel Kant

Alienated Labour
Karl Marx

Genesis
Bible

Civilization and Its Discontents
Sigmond Freud

The Social Contract
Jean-Jacques Rousseau

The Moral Sense of Man and the Lower Animals
Charles Darwin

Othello*
William Shakespeare

Of Justice and Injustice
David Hume

The Power of the Majority
Alexis de Tocqueville

Individual Freedom
Georg Simmel

Antigone*
Sophocles
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 02:31 pm
What a crazy list.Boy oh boy somebody was intending laying it on them with that lot.What an elitist agenda that represents.I bet they never came near my take on Othello.They would have thrown me out.

But it will have to wait.

Hey-let's just stick to the SS thread.I get mixed up cross checking.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:12 pm
Piffka wrote:

see also: A Brief History of Thinking About Informal Education and note especially the Mechanics' Institutes.

Thanks for the link Piffka - extremely interesting.
0 Replies