computer monitor going "haywire"

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 06:13 pm
my computer system is about four years old - windows ME.
the monitor is an oldfashioned 17 inch CRT SAMPRON.
several times a week the monitor decides to give me some wide vertical stripes only(no text will show) when i'm accessing a website - can be any site : able2know, newspaper ... it doesn't seem to discriminate. this started about two years ago and seems to be getting a little more frequent.
the stripes are usually fairly wide - 2 - 3 inches wide with some narrower ones thrown in for good measure. they are all kinds of colours except black or white - quite colourful actually.
the system "locks up" and
the only way i can get rid of the stripes is to shut down( press "reset" button) and bring the system up again.
i don't seem to have any other problems - it's just a little annoying and time-consuming.
is this likely a sign that the monitor is ready to pack it in or an internal software problem ?
any comments would be appreciated. hbg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,072 • Replies: 3
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 12:38 am
Possibly a resolution/refresh problem. Your computer might be trying to use a combination unsupported by your monitor.

Is there another computer you can swap monitors with to see if it follows the computer or the monitor?

And monitors are cheap nowadays, if you don't insist on LCD.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 03:41 pm
This sounds moe like a graphics card problem to me.
Could be cooling.
Hoover out the heat sinks on the card and do the rest of the inside of the case for a start.

And then if it doesn't come back don't worry.
If it does then swap the monitor and see if it still happens.
If it does then the card is toast.
If not the monitor is toast.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 05:54 pm
thanks for your advice !
this afternoon i stopped by our local "computer nerd store" and the young fellow minding the store - some hair struggling to escape from his upper lip ! - assured me that is likely not the monitor but a faulty graphics card. since the computer is due for its annual cleaning anyhow, he told me they would check out the graphic's card at the same time. seems i'll be able to enjoy my pentium III for a little longer. thanks for "computer nerds" ! hbg
0 Replies