Any place i can find copyright free images for free???

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 05:35 pm
i need images for my website .. ut seems everything is copyrighted or they charge for it.. is there a site with free public domain images/clipart?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,106 • Replies: 10
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 07:21 pm
As long as you don't profit off the images you use then you can use virtually any image you desire. Sites like Flickr are good for downloading non-copyrighted materials.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 07:25 pm
Whoa. Does that mean I don't have copyright if I put an image on, say, photobucket?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 07:38 pm
nope
0 Replies

Roofingguy

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 07:49 pm
to be more specific i need to put on my site something like

a symbol/thumbnail/drawing hyperlinked to my referral page

and

another diferent one hyperlinked to my picture gallery page

i have one that is ugly and the other one is too big any suggestions.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 07:55 pm
Not that anyone wants my images. But.. there are a couple that may go into a someday book.

I'm not sure nope is the full story, although I know people take them, and sharing is to some extent the internet ethic.

Leave what you know... seems good in general to me.

Still it'd be freaky to see one's image used commercially.

I took a photo in San Gimignano in 1988, one that friends and associates treasure for various reasons and surely I do too. Some time later I saw nearly the same photo in a cookbook. Sans certain features that I think made my photo better.

That was all a while ago. I would not like my photo, had I placed it there to show on a2k, to be sucked up by a new italian cookbook author (not that the first one was, I'm sure that was that author's own).

Though usually that would not happen, I think they work hard to get attribution.

That was not a tourist site like, say, the Lincoln Memorial, but it was a multiply photographed place. I have some other photos of multiply photographed places that I think are unique in their way, having to do with stances of people at the site, their umbrellas, wild life, etc. Not that they are the best photos ever, but that I want credit.

Thus I am trying to credit sources on our Where Am I Travel threads, whether or not required.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 07:57 pm
have you googled the term
copyright free photo

or something similar like that?
The Mister does alot of photo " digging" and he uses terms like that in his search and finds alot.

license free xwing fighter..
or what ever it is you are looking for.

Do you know how to use + and - to weed out certain subjects ?
0 Replies

Roofingguy

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 08:22 pm
i found this site click here

and it seems like as long as you dont use the face of a person for comercial use without notifiying them your ok.. if a face exist you can edit it out and your set
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 08:29 pm
also,
if you change a photo 20% from the original, you are free and clear as well.
I dont know how much that applies to internet photos?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 01:31 pm
I really wish people would not comment on copyright without research. It is a very complicated term which most attorneys do not even understand. Hate to be the party pooper here, but if you really want to avoid getting sued for such things, consult counsel.

As for free clipart, there's lots of it online, just google "free clipart" and it will come up. Another avenue to try is "public domain images".
0 Replies

lil cat luver

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 02:08 pm
Stock Exchange (sxc.hu) is a good place to find free stock photo. Most photos there can be used without contacting the author.
0 Replies