INDIA: A 26 day odyssey.

McTag

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 10:08 am
Meeting Clary at LHR (note the "in" jargon" Smile ) and going from there.

Then, we pick up the camels in Mumbai.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 10:38 am
very "with it" McT

one hump or two?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 10:40 am
Smile

like it
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 02:49 am
Mosquito net, eh? How are you going to use it? If it touches your body, the mosquitoes can too, so you have to fix it somewhere and drape it tastefully. If a bed has posts or a ceiling hook to fix it on, 10-1 it will have a net too. Since we aren't sharing rooms, I can only speculate....!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 03:25 am
I bow to experience. But if the pesky mozzies get to me (and I am flavour of the month for all manner of biting and stinging insects, which I already know from bitter experience of my own) I will be happy in the knowledge that I have left no stone unturned, nor net undraped, to prevent it.

(Thinks....if you can have double-glazed (or triple-) windows in Scandinavia, can you have a double-netted charpoi in the Kerala swampland? And if not, why not? Smile )
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 03:26 am
McT is taking his own 4 poster bed to support said net.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 03:38 am
Anybody visiting Goa during 11-14 Nov? Me'll be there .... for Office WORK though .... but on weekends 12th and 13th I would be free. Smile
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 04:07 pm
Alas too early for me... I spent my first wedding anniversary in Goa, happy memories...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 04:25 pm
Mr. Flavour of the Month -- Maybe you could find some "Buzz Off" clothing in the UK? The handkerchiefs are very handy and not so expensive.

Ex Officio Buzz Off Clothing
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 04:31 pm
where d'ygoa in goa clary.

(looked at some web pages, nearly booked a flight!)
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 04:32 pm
What a SPLENDID idea, and what amazingly colonial Indian styles! Only thing is: This item can only be shipped to the U.S.

I am really sad about that. I would love those clothes.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 04:43 pm
Darn it, Clary. We've had these for a couple of years... you'd think they'd be available in the EU by now.

They are available from TravelSmith.com

Quote:

Currently, we are only able to accept on-line orders from the United States and its territories. We do, however, welcome your international orders via these methods:

International Telephone: 415-884-1350

International Fax: 415-884-1351

Mail: TravelSmith
P.O. Box 5729
Novato, CA 94948-5729
Please note that when ordering internationally, the customer must also pay any and all duties and customs fees. Additional shipping fees will also apply.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 07:51 pm
I love Travel Smith... at least for airport and train wear.
Remember my long ago story of the black suit? (that was on abuzz). That was a travel smith black suit of washable wool/polyester of some sort, a jacket and I ordered two pair of pants. That was it for my last trip to italy, the 29 day one, with accoutrements re long sleeved tees. I nearly threw the suit in the trash when I got back but thought better of it and still have it...

That had zippered pockets inside the jacket and inside the pants pockets.

That matters for me as I apparently attracted flittering thievettes when alone..
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 03:13 am
Airport and train wear?

I can see, I haven't lived. :wink:
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 03:45 am
Me neither!

Waterproof shoes have been recommended to me, since Kerala will be in the monsoon season, good for lowering the temperature but sloshy underfoot.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 04:28 am
no no, kerala is out of the rain season. ended in august/sept. you should be fine. it will be sunny and HOT HOT HOT!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 04:33 am
oh, and the malaria regions are in and around new delhi - peak is in august. the skeeters in kerala aren't bad, especially during the dry seasons. you'll see lizards and large tsikadas, but i don't think we had any issue with mosquitos. then again, i was there in february and in august. but august being the end of the rain season one would think there would be many. weren't.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 05:23 am
I don't wish to contradict a venerable lady but according to my guidebook "A second soaking occurs ... in November and early December when the northeastern monsoon blows in from the Bay of Bengal."
It isn't as fierce as the main monsoon, but hopefully will temper the sun to our white and tender skins. Smile
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 05:33 am
It's been raining in bangalore all through the year..it rained yesterday, and the day before...

As for mosquitos - i think you get some kind of a repellent device that makes a sound that is audible to the mosquitos and that sound puts them off. I remember my husband's cousin (who was borna nd bred in the US) carrying it around when we went trekking - it was very effective. I think that will be much more useful than a mosquito net
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 06:38 am
yes, i wasn't there during that time. but when it rains - it pours for an hour or so, but then sun peeps out again. it's actually beautiful. and still hot. i wouldn't bother with big waterproof boots. you'll be fine with flip flops, they dry quick. and it's hot.
0 Replies