"life in another person's shoes"

zeroh

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 03:23 pm
I'm not quite sure how to write this, so I'm just gonna write.

I've been thinkin that people are "created" and taught by the t.v. and their environment, which is true, people are enfluenced by everything around them... but... are they influenced 100%? I mean... do we have any real free choice?...

If I were to take someone else, and have them start over, and live every single second of my life, would they be JUST like me, or would they be different, due to their OWN personality, not the one created from material they've seen.

is this clear enough? please post back.

thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 741 • Replies: 9
No top replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 01:41 am
People are influenced by everything. The tv, society, parents, friends, internet, government, and churches. But, I believe everyone is born with their own unique personality. How strong or weak that personality is (will power), will determine how that person is influenced in a positive or negative way by the outside world.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/msralex/witchy1.gif
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 02:29 am
Re: "life in another person's shoes"
zeroh wrote:
If I were to take someone else, and have them start over, and live every single second of my life, would they be JUST like me, or would they be different, due to their OWN personality, not the one created from material they've seen.

Yes, we have choices, and will. You are, and become your choices.

The above quote sounds like fantasy. But, I guess if you changed places with someone else, that person would be you completely, and you would be that person completely. Who knows really???

Why are you asking this question?
0 Replies

Satyr

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 06:53 am
There is no "own personality".
Character and self is constructed when genetic predisposition [inherited environmental effects] interacts with experiential environments [immediate environmental effects].

The self is a reflection of natural inclinations [genes] by cultural conditions [memes].

In essence your personality is determined by your ability to adapt [repress, enhance, suppress, express] natural tendencies to the appropriate degree, in accordance with cultural rules as they are defined by moral systems and ideals.

Freedom is truly the mere access to choice.
But choice is always restricted by environment.

Not only does the natural environment determine the limitations and breadth of your choices, as in how it determines your biology and so forth, but culture shapes the direction and focus of those choices.
You, often, choose what you've been offered as a choice or told is a valuable choice.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 07:05 am
Satyr wrote:
There is no "own personality".
Character and self is constructed when genetic predisposition [inherited environmental effects] interacts with experiential environments [immediate environmental effects].

The self is a reflection of natural inclinations [genes] by cultural conditions [memes].

In essence your personality is determined by your ability to adapt [repress, enhance, suppress, express] natural tendencies to the appropriate degree, in accordance with cultural rules as they are defined by moral systems and ideals.

Freedom is truly the mere access to choice.
But choice is always restricted by environment.

Not only does the natural environment determine the limitations and breadth of your choices, as in how it determines your biology and so forth, but culture shapes the direction and focus of those choices.
You, often, choose what you've been offered as a choice or told is a valuable choice.

If you really believe what you just stated then why bother with your quote "KNOW THYSELF". Is there a contradiction or not? I really want to know. Thanks
0 Replies

zeroh

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 09:15 pm
AngeliqueEast wrote:

...Not sure... I was thinkin about it walking home in the rain the other day. I've been really, uhm, "disapointed" with society latly. Taking the bus to school everyday, I realize how everyone is the same, or at least they seem like it. They all move, act, breath, talk, react the same. I do things on the bus, just so people looks at me and think, "wow, that kids different."

They remind me of manikins. I've also been thinking that no one is crazy. Who is so much better than me, that is to say he/she is crazy. who is so much better that they can lable someone else as "different"? Why is being born, getting an education, working your ass off to help evolve society in the future year, the right thing to do??? to me that is crazy. thats insane. i'm getting off track, sorry... I dont know how i came up with this question, but thanks for this answers.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 10:00 pm
I think what you are trying to say is that people suck. I couldn't agree more. All you can do is try to find like-minded individuals, and try not to let it get you down.

Carry on...
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 10:42 pm
zeroh wrote:
AngeliqueEast wrote:

...Not sure... I was thinkin about it walking home in the rain the other day. I've been really, uhm, "disapointed" with society latly. Taking the bus to school everyday, I realize how everyone is the same, or at least they seem like it. They all move, act, breath, talk, react the same. I do things on the bus, just so people looks at me and think, "wow, that kids different."

They remind me of manikins. I've also been thinking that no one is crazy. Who is so much better than me, that is to say he/she is crazy. who is so much better that they can lable someone else as "different"? Why is being born, getting an education, working your ass off to help evolve society in the future year, the right thing to do??? to me that is crazy. thats insane. i'm getting off track, sorry... I dont know how i came up with this question, but thanks for this answers.

It is good to ask ourselves questions, sometimes the answer is right there within us. Be yourself, and true to yourself. You cannot do anything about others, really. But, sometimes you get a surprise in life, and you inspire someone with the way you are. Hope I make some sense to you.
0 Replies

zeroh

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 08:45 pm
yeah, thanks a lot everyone.
0 Replies

Satyr

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 12:53 pm
AngeliqueEast

Quote:
If you really believe what you just stated then why bother with your quote "KNOW THYSELF". Is there a contradiction or not? I really want to know. Thanks
0 Replies