Exchange Rates

gollum

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 06:48 am
Is there anyway for a retail investor to take a position in a foreign currency?

I fear/think that the U.S. dollar is going down and would like to protect myself.

I am aware that there are futures markets where currencies are traded but I think that they exist more for "professionals."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 689 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 07:06 am
Re: Exchange Rates
gollum wrote:
I am aware that there are futures markets where currencies are traded but I think that they exist more for "professionals."

Disclaimer: I am not an investment adviser, and my interest in economics is strictly armchair. That being said, there are two basic options. One is the futures market, which is "for the professionals" in the sense that there are rules you have to know. One book I found useful for learning them was Trading Commodities and Financial Futures: A Step by Step Guide to Mastering the Markets, published by the Financial Times. Once the rules are clear, any businessman who knows what he wants, whatever his specialty, can trade futures. I don't see why not.

The second possibility is buying insurance against exchange rate risks, in which the insurance company acts as a mediator between yourself and the futures market for currency. I lack the knowledge to tell you what the tradeoffs are between insurance the two choices. The least bad advice I can give you here is that you talk to your banker, talk to your insurance company, and then make the decision that makes the most sense for you. Good luck!
0 Replies