Homosexualism illogical or logical

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 02:45 pm
Is Homosexualism illogical or not (potentially in conflict with natural law)?

Interested in arguments from both sides!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,441 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 02:48 pm
Illogial how?

In regards to procreation, yes. But so is love. You don't need love to procreate so it makes love illogical.

In regards to the human need for companionship and love, no. We all need love, regardless of the form.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 02:54 pm
Hm, I don't know about the word logical. If the goal is to ensure the continuance of the human race (or any species for that matter) Homosexuality would be illogical if it was the dominent form of sexual attraction.

However, since our being here is neither logical or illogical, it doesn't matter one way or the other.

I don't think love is logical.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 09:14 pm
What's "natural law"?
0 Replies

yardsale

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 09:26 pm
The term 'natural law' is ambiguous. It refers to a type of moral theory, as well as to a type of legal theory, despite the fact that the core claims of the two kinds of theory are logically independent. According to natural law ethical theory, the moral standards that govern human behavior are, in some sense, objectively derived from the nature of human beings. According to natural law legal theory, the authority of at least some legal standards necessarily derives, at least in part, from considerations having to do with the moral merit of those standards. There are a number of different kinds of natural law theories of law, differing from each other with respect to the role that morality plays in determining the authority of legal norms.

REF: http://www.iep.utm.edu/n/natlaw.htm#H1
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 10:03 pm
Thanks yardsale - I just need to run that by myself a few dozen times Very Happy
0 Replies

yardsale

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 10:12 pm
Laughing No prob

I just did a copy and pasted from the philosophy encyclopedia
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 10:29 pm
Yardsale I still don't get it. The link looks pretty long.

As to the thread, homosexualism is probably as logical as heterosexualism. They don't conflict with fundamental human rights.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 10:57 pm
Re: Homosexualism illogical or logical
yardsale wrote:
Is Homosexualism illogical or not (potentially in conflict with natural law)?

Interested in arguments from both sides!

How about those documented cases of homosexuality in animals? If they are fact, then there is no conflict in nature, only in man.
0 Replies

yardsale

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 11:00 pm
ray

did not mean to add confusion with the natural law aspect. Basiclly, according to nature, in general, is it logical to hold homosexualism as valid.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 11:02 pm
lol, no hard feelings here. Very Happy
0 Replies

arji

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 11:10 pm
people, in my opinion, fall in love based on need. so if a toad or a walnut or a woman can fulfill my need, according to this theory, I will love it - or her.

That means, I guess, that to me "homosexualism"is logical. <shrugs>
0 Replies

arji

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 11:11 pm
but that depends, of course, on you linking "homosexualism"with falling in love.

A truly independent man doesn't need a woman. A truly independent woman doesn't need a man.

Just my opinion.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 11:17 pm
So true independence in humans must be illogical (in the sense that we're using the term here) because then we wouldn't get together and breed and as a species we would die out.
0 Replies

arji

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 11:22 pm
it's absolutely illogical to ME, but that's just my opinion. <shrugs>
0 Replies

yardsale

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 11:27 pm
AngeliqueEast

Wow! I had no idea that documented cases of animal homosexualism existed! Where did you happen to run across this info? I would like to read up on it.

I am not sure if that would make a strong case for homosexualism or not! How did the scientist who did the study know that the animals were actually homosexual verse just committing acts associated with the idea? Cats of the same sex could appear to commit a sexual act together, but not necessarily be of full homosexual orientation. That would be a hell of a study, for sure! What has the world come to we are talking about homosexual cats! Shocked Does a cat even know the difference or is it trial and error when it comes to being randy! lol

That is interesting the least to say
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 11:35 pm
yardsale wrote:
AngeliqueEast

Wow! I had no idea that documented cases of animal homosexualism existed! Where did you happen to run across this info? I would like to read up on it.

I am not sure if that would make a strong case for homosexualism or not! How did the scientist who did the study know that the animals were actually homosexual verse just committing acts associated with the idea? Cats of the same sex could appear to commit a sexual act together, but not necessarily be of full homosexual orientation. That would be a hell of a study, for sure! What has the world come to we are talking about homosexual cats! Shocked Does a cat even know the difference or is it trial and error when it comes to being randy! lol

That is interesting the least to say

These are just a few websites that you can read about it.

http://www.bidstrup.com/sodomy.htm

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/07/0722_040722_gayanimal.html

http://www.dailycardinal.com/media/paper439/news/2004/02/12/News/Animal.Homosexuality.Adds.To.Gay.Rights.Debate-605235.shtml

Which leads me to believe that bi-sexuality may be man's natural sexual state.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 11:36 pm
Go to a cattle yard. Cows mount each other all the time. Whether that's sexual or some other behaviour (eg dominance-submission) I don't know.

Anyway to back up AngeliqueEast's point - I too have read of reports of homosexuality in animals. There was some work done some time ago into the behaviour of dolphins. Group sex, threesomes, rape, homosexuality - it was a veritable cetacean orgy (Spongebob Squarepants probably got in there somewhere Very Happy ) - all observed by scientists.

There have been reports of homosexual penguins which mate for life and which even mimic heterosexual penguins in "parental" relationships. Scientists have observed one male penguin treating a rock like an egg while the other partner penguin acted in a complementary manner (eg getting the food and so on).
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 11:40 pm
I have seen three movies myself of homosexual behavior in lions, whales, and a white bird, and I can't remember it's name.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 10:01 am
Homosexuality and homosexualism (is that really a word?), in a nutshell is what it is. Neither logical nor illogical unlesss one wants it to be. Trust me on this one since I am a homosexual and I have never really given thought to whether it was logical or not.
0 Replies