**UPDATE** 15 years of marriage

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 10:59 am
I want to thank the nice people that responded to my first post and gave me advice last week, it was very helpful. WEll, it seems there's no fighting it..he wants a divorce. He told me last night in a very forthright and honest way. He loves me, but the fire/spark is gone and e wants to be able to go out and flirt and see other people. Wow, what a shock! Well we had always discussed that if something was wrongt, we'd put iit on the table before anything disastrous could happen i.e., adultery or strong feelings for someone else. I can't get mad at his direct approach, after all I wanted it this way. He was honest no matter how heartbroken I feel. He's basically living at home because he has nowhere else to go. He cant maintain two households (his new one & ours).

Let me explaing, we bought our house 6 years ago and it has appreciated in value trmendously. He has been the main source of income for the last two years. I went through some personal issues for 2 years and did not work. I am presently working but not making as much as I used to (career change). Bore then I was the main source of income and when we bought our house my commission monies was the sole reason we were able to put 20% down (we had bad credit at the time). So now he wants a divorce and I imagine/know he wants to sell the house so he can start his new life with a nice chunk of change in his pocket. Great for him...but I love my house and my neighborhood. Both my children love it and all their friends live in the vicinity. I would not be able to afford buying something in the area, since the prices of houses has skyrocketed. I don't know what legal options I may have and I don't have the money to hire an attorney for a messy divorce. It might sound like a dumb question but I don't know anyone that has gone throught this type of situation. Does anyone have any advice? Crying or Very sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 672 • Replies: 3
No top replies

JPB

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 12:17 pm
grlwhood, your thread was moved to the legal forum by the mods. They probably thought you'd get a better chance of having some of our resident legal folks seeing it there.

I responded to it before it was moved but I think it will get better visibility over there.

Here's a link:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=61160
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 12:36 pm
When it comes to divorce, the side with the best lawyer wins. Even with a lawyer, if he wants his share of the house you will either have to buy him out or sell the house and split the profits.
He probably does not realize yet that a chunk of his income will be awarded to you as the keeper of the children. You might be able to bargain with him concerning child care expenses and you being able to keep the house. It would mean less income for you, but a roof over your head in a neighborhood where you are happy.
0 Replies

grlhwood

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 01:35 pm
Thanks jb & greenwitch,

Yeah, figures the best lawyer wins your case. Well in this instance neither one of us can afford one, so we'll be evenly matched. Seriously though, I'm still in shock at the news of his wanting a divorce and thinking way ahead as a way of protecting myself. Thanks.
0 Replies