Wants a divorce after 15 yrs of marriage

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 09:14 am
I want to thank the nice people that gave me advice last week, it was very helpful. Well, it seems there's no fighting it..he wants a divorce. He told me in a forthright and honest way ( and I respect that). He told me he loves me but the fire/spark is gone for him and he wants to be able to go out and flirt and see different people. Wow, what a shock! We always discussed that if something was wrong in our relationship we'd bring it out before anything bad happened (adultery/cheating), this way neither one of us would feel betrayed and then unable to stay friends. I can't get mad at him for being honest, no matter how heartbroken I am. He's basically living at home because he has nowhere else to go. He can't maintain 2 households.

Let me explain, we bought our home 6 yrs ago and it has appreciated in value tremendously (we bought at the right time in the right place). He has been the main source of income in our household for the last 2 years, I was not working (I am presently). Before then I was the main source of income and when we bought our house my commision money was the only reason we were able to purchase with 20% down (we had bad credit). So now he wants a divorce and I imagine/know he will want to sell the house so he can start his new life with a nice hunk of change in his pocket. Great for him...but I love my house and my neighborhood. Both my kids love it and all their friends live in the vicinity. I cannot afford to buy in the area since the prices of houses have skyrocketed and it is way above my means at the moment. I am not making as much as I used to..actually alot less.

I would like to know if someone has gone through anything similar, do I have any legal options? It might be a dumb questions, but I just don't know anyone that has gone through something like this. I don't really have the money to get legal counseling, so I thought I might give this venue a shot. Any thoughts? Crying or Very sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 593 • Replies: 1
No top replies

JPB

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 09:52 am
hello, grlhwood

I think it depends on where you live. Community property states dictate that all marital assets be split equally between the parties. Other states allow the division of assets to be split in other ways. In my own case, my ex wanted to stay in our marital home. We had a fair-market appraisal done on the house and he was required to buy out my interest in the home. The remaining assets were split in a mutually agreeable fashion. Ours was an amicable divorce, if there is such a thing, and we were both going out of our way to get through the ordeal with a minimum of discord. There were no children involved, however and that might influence what the courts might decide in your case.

You should get legal counsel to represent your children's interests in the divorce. How are you and your husband planning on dividing custodial time of your children? The painful reality is that sometimes a move from the marital home is necessary, but that doesn't mean you can't enter into the negotiations with the idea of staying put in mind.

Best wishes to you.
0 Replies