Irish Journalist wanted to slap Bush during interview

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 04:51 pm
Aha, thanks, ehBeth. This is good, more flurry for something that needs attentioni.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 04:52 pm
attensioni, it's my lousy italian again.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 04:58 pm
So... I haven't read it yet, but have to ask, is timesonline and Sunday Times different than the London Times? I'm clearly still learning to google (I'd also searched irish times to little evail except for an interesting looking whisky site).
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 05:03 pm
In Irish wouldn't that be whiskey?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 05:04 pm
http://images.thetimes.co.uk/images/TIMESHeadBGLogo_1.gif

dunno what that means just yet

<this is part of why I wish wish wish we had a media forum>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 05:05 pm
That is spooky that his minders are calling him the leader of the free world in private like that.

Pollies can easily become so isolated from reality, and corrective opinion and scepticism about themselves that this kind of speech about him is concerning.

As I have said elsewhere, to foreign eyes there is a weird kind of adulation and kid glove handling of presidents that seems to betoken more a kind of royalty than a political leader. This is mixed with the most horriffic prurience at times, as seen in the witch hunt of Clinton, and the way his enemies speak about Bush, just as two examples.

Concerning that he and his minders should so attempt to bully a reporter doing her job.

Is this normal for POTUSes?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 05:06 pm
I think the website said Whisky though. Was only there a short time in my fruitless daylong search, eh.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 05:08 pm
That Whisky (sic) site looked interesting.. it wasn't about booze but politics, but I didn't find today's article and moved along.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 05:10 pm
I tried to find an a2k amazon link for the book, no luck so far, but then it is not yet officially published.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 05:10 pm
dlowan

Is it nomal? There is nothing about this president that is normal. The man is a moron and must be spoon fed.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 05:11 pm
evail, is that my own new word for evolution along with availability?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 05:12 pm
au1929 wrote:
Many of Bush's old boys are really not-so-old girls

By KENNETH R. BAZINET
and THOMAS M. DeFRANK
DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

Quote:
WASHINGTON - Harriet Miers' Supreme Court nomination shocked political and legal circles, but not veteran Bush-watchers: President Bush may be a charter member of the old-boy network, but he's always surrounded himself with women.Bush's inner circle arguably includes more females than any other President, many of whom have longstanding professional relationships with him dating back to his days as Texas governor.

Besides Miers, his former personal lawyer and staff secretary, Bush's distaff corps includes two cabinet officers - Secretary of State Rice and Secretary of Education Margaret Spellings. Undersecretary of State Karen Hughes, handed the herculean task of selling American values to the world, is Bush's most trusted political confidant.

Moreover, nearly half of Bush staffers with the coveted "assistant to the President" title are women, including the homeland security, legislative liaison and personnel chiefs.

Friends say Bush's penchant for appointing assertive, overachieving women to his personal staff was nurtured at home, where former First Lady Barbara Bush, the tough-as-nails matriarch of the Bush clan, was the family enforcer when the future President was growing up.

A former top staffer adds: "He likes punching that [diversity] ticket because it insulates him from white-boy criticism."

There's another common thread to All the President's Women: total fealty to the boss.

"They are all extremely loyal and subordinate their own ambitions to him," an ex-Bush staffer observed.

All the President’s women

I wonder if he played with dolls and wore a skirt as a youngster. And for that matter if he still does.

Huh? If the damn man is able to enjoy working with powerful women, that is one of the few things about him that I can applaud.

What crapola, Au!

"Overachieving women"...what in hell is that supposed to mean?

What a sexist and stupid piece.

So, not being threatened by women means you are a "girly man" as idiots like the governator see life?

Insulates from white boy criticism? This implies women and non whites cannot offer criticism of him?

Seems to me he chooses people, male and female, who will not criticise him.

What a nasty sniggering piece.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 05:18 pm
I also take issue, I don't think the women in question are any more overachieving than many of the seemingly preordained males in question.

aside -
Anybody read Auletta's piece in this week's NYer on the LA Times??
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 05:22 pm
ehBeth, why don't you set up a media thread system, sort of like the lame ones I started on land use and art, but improved in function. I'm stopping those, since I can't edit the titles any more. Maybe I'll do them as monthlies.

What I'm thinking is ... a mother thread that can send off offspringies.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 05:29 pm
Not that you should do mother and offspring, re media... but it's a thought. Maybe all threads about media as a subject have a symbol, godno, not a smilie, and land use threads have a long flat line...

oh, never mind.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 01:20 am
Ebeth....in answer to your question, the Timesonline website, refers to the Times newspaper, and the Sunday Times, both of which are national newspapers in the UK. The "London" Times, is the Times as it is known abroad.

Rupert Murdoch has a controlling interest in both newspapers which, seeing Carole's report linked with the coincidence that her book is about to be published, gives me the impression that Murdoch doesn't mind a Bush bashing article, when it can possibly help with his profit line. I suspect that he has control, or at least a few zillion shares, in the books publishing company.

Call me cynical, but I don't think for one minute that he would have allowed this to be printed in the USA, as he has his reputation as a "good, loyal American" to hold onto, since he took his new citizenship.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 01:25 am
hmmm.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 01:27 am
We were talking about this origianally at BBB's thread Pampered Bush meets real reporter-See the actual interview
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 08:59 am
Thank you Lord Ellpus and Ebeth!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 10:16 am
Ossobuco
ossobuco wrote:
BBB, while you were posting the second half I tried to find the article. Which Sunday Times was this?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,2766-1817008,00.html
0 Replies