Advantages of Sweating?

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 09:21 am
I know that some athletes have amazing endurance due to the fact that they sweat a lot less than the average person (like Mia Hamm). Is there any advantage to sweating more than the average person?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 12,620 • Replies: 22
No top replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 09:27 am
I was told it was healthy to sweat. You get rid of your body's impurities. I would like to know more on the subject myself.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/Bella81/HW-TRICKORTREATDOLL.gif
0 Replies

SinnCrest

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 09:29 am
Thanks for the reply. But would sweating benefit any aspects of performance in sports?
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 06:32 am
I would think it's the opposite way around: she sweats less bc she has amazing endurance! She probably sweated like a fiend in the early days.

I can't think of any benefits to sweating More than usual, except if you're a wrestler or fighter (slippery). Laughing
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 07:23 am
Is sweating a necessity to weight loss?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 02:27 pm
I've read that sweating is a sign your metabolism is moving into a higher gear. Obviously unfit people will sweat before fit and fit people before the super-fit.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 02:37 pm
Sweating is your bodys way of cooling itself off. Like Noddy said, when metabolism is running high, your body is hotter and needs to cool off. The better shape you are in, the less your body works and therefor the less you sweat.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 02:44 pm
Obviously, the more your body is adapted to a warm climate the more you sweat.

We're all born with about the sames number of sweat glands, but only those necessary to keep the body sufficiently cool become functional, and this number is set around 3 or 4 years of age. So, if you're reared in Canada and move to Texas, you're in trouble in the summer.

Without the ability to sweat, none of us could survive, the ability to sweat sufficiently becomes compromised in the elderly. Remember the heat wave in France a few years ago? Thousands of elderly people died from heat stroke.
0 Replies

SinnCrest

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 02:49 pm
Well, I play soccer, jog 4/5 days a week, go Free Running/Freestyle Parkouring often, and do Thai Boxing, but I still sweat like a madman.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 12:35 pm
A lot has to do with your body mass vs. skin surface area. Exercise raises your core temperature; sweating cools it. Big folks sweat more.

There may be more to it, of course.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 01:03 pm
The bottom line is that sweating is about cooling off.
If you sweat a lot, you probably need to.
Make sure to replenish those fluids.
I speak from very unpleasant experience.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 01:06 pm
I actually saw something on this the other day and thought of this thread. We all have different amounts of sweat glands, so some people do in fact sweat more than others, regardless of body condition and/or athletic ability or if you are fat or thin. Some thin people sweat way more than some fat people. And vice versa. It all depends on what we were given. Now, if a person in great shape is running a marathon, they will probably be sweating less than someone running a marathon in less shape because of the cooling factor. But it mostly comes down to number of sweat glands, which is why the author of this thread sweats so much regardless of his physical condition.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 01:44 pm
Unrelated, more or less. . . . There is also something called insensible perspiration. This is an attempt by the body to maintain a comfortable relative humidity next to the skin.

You can lose a lot of heat this way, in cold, dry weather.
0 Replies

shutupsteph

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 10:24 am
this thread is somewhat comforting seeing as i consider myself in really good shape (gym 5x per week w/ cardio and lifting, and playing sports for school) and i sweat like there's no tomorrow. i've also heard from various places that the better in shape you are, the more you sweat, but whether that's true or not is another thing
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 06:59 pm
Of all the forms of exercise, I think aerobic exercise produces the most sweat because it increases one's metabolism for a longer sustained period of time than other forms of exercise. The human body is rather inefficient, loosing most of the energy it exerts in the form of heat. It cools itself off through evaporation of the sweat it produces.

I also have discovered that the more fit I've become, the more I sweat even at rest or low work levels. I've always been refered to as "hot blooded," though, meaning that, for example, at work I tend to complain that it is too hot, and I'll go and turn on the air conditioner. I'm tall and thin, so I think my metabolism is already relatively high.
0 Replies

SinnCrest

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 10:21 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
Of all the forms of exercise, I think aerobic exercise produces the most sweat because it increases one's metabolism for a longer sustained period of time than other forms of exercise. The human body is rather inefficient, loosing most of the energy it exerts in the form of heat. It cools itself off through evaporation of the sweat it produces.

I also have discovered that the more fit I've become, the more I sweat even at rest or low work levels. I've always been refered to as "hot blooded," though, meaning that, for example, at work I tend to complain that it is too hot, and I'll go and turn on the air conditioner. I'm tall and thin, so I think my metabolism is already relatively high.

Hmm, I can relate to that. I'm more used to colder temperatures as well.
0 Replies

vfr

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 02:15 pm
Re: Advantages of Sweating?
SinnCrest wrote:
I know that some athletes have amazing endurance due to the fact that they sweat a lot less than the average person (like Mia Hamm). Is there any advantage to sweating more than the average person?

I wok hard to sweat as it releases toxins, etc. I've noticed champion endurance runners sweat very little for the most part as compared to the average runner.

V
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 03:53 pm
I've noticed at July picnics that heavy drinkers tend to be copious sweat machines.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 02:37 am
The more you sweat, the less you will pee.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 12:26 pm
It has been shown that everybody, regardless of race or place of birth, is born with approximately the same number of sweat glands; however, all of them do not become functional. Only the number of glands necessary to keep the body adequately cooled ever become functional, and this number is set at the early age of around 3 or 4 years of age. It's called period programming, a period of life where processes occur most easily, such as the ability to learn a language. Consequently, if one is reared in a cool climate, such as Canada and then moves later in life to Texas, that person would be unable to sweat enough to keep cool during the hottest part of the Texas summer. I'm a case in point, for I was reared in Wisconsin and now live in Dallas. I live without air conditioning and am able to cope with the heat until it gets above 95 degrees, and then suffer considerably.

This information was presented in a Natural History magazine article by Jared Diamond some years ago.
0 Replies