Setting up Thunderbird e-mail

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 01:18 pm
Instructions for setting up Thunderbird e-mail account say to enter the following information: "Incoming Server: Enter the address of the mail server that handles the mail you receive (e.g. mail.earthlink.net). Your mail provider should supply you with this information." (There is the same requirement for sent mail.)

I tried to find out from MSN.com what address the instructions wanted, but they said they had no idea what this meant.

Can anyone clear this up for me? I'm eager to make the change from MSN.com to Thunderbird as soon as possible, now that I have high speed service and Firefox is my default browser.

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 634 • Replies: 4
No top replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 06:01 pm
Take this with a grain of salt because I'm not a techie person but I've had to do this quite a few times with various computers and providers.

On my email setup the incoming server is labelled "pop". The outgoing server has the label "smtp". Each server is identified as "mail.(isp named)".

MSN.com I take it is your provider. They should be able to tell you the details of the pop server and the smtp server.

That's it. As I said, just take that as my own experience. If you're patient others with much better computer knowledge will come along and assist but in the meantime you might ask MSN.com for those details.

I'm assuming that MSN.com provides you with your own non-Hotmail email account which you can use Thunderbird with. If you're trying to use a hotmail account then I'm not sure if any of the above applies. You just access your email through your browser.

Anyway as I said, there are several regulars here who can help with much more specific advice.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 06:14 pm
deleted duplicate.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 11:43 pm
MSN Users: If you are using MSN as your ISP, MSN requires that all email go out through their SMTP server (smtp.email.msn.com) and "from" your MSN email account (e.g., [email protected]).
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:50 am
setting up thunderbird email
It's ok, I got it done. The instructions looked more complicated than they actually are.

Smile
0 Replies