Player fails to read some DVDs/Best writeable DVDs?

jespah

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 07:23 am
This is a strange problem for which I have a couple of possible solutions but I'd like some feedback, please.

At work, I have a Windows XP Pro computer, as do some of my colleagues. Others have Linux. The DVD player on my machine has the following serial number: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B. This is per the device manager.

I cannot burn DVDs with it, despite its name, but that's okay, there is a portable DVD burner and I use it just fine. I am burning documentary data for archiving purposes, so that we can free up some server space.

This is not the first time I've had the problem I am about to describe. Yesterday, I burned 5 DVDs at the maximum write speed, SmartBurn 48x Max (note that sometimes it appears that the maximum write speed for the burner is 8.0x (10800KB/sec) and sometimes it is 6.0x (8100KB/sec), but I am quite sure that yesterday I was using 48x every time). The first 4 went off without a hitch and were playable in my machine. The 5th could not be played in my machine although the burner could see the DVD and its contents with no trouble. I tried it on a few of the other machines in the office. It did not work on a total of 3 XP Pro machines. I did work on a Linux machine and 1 XP Pro machine. So, wacky. Then I burned a second DVD, same data, same settings. And I got the same results.

Today, I burned a third copy of the same data. This time I slowed down the write speed to 32x max. And this time I was able to read the DVD in my own machine. A friend is now checking to see if she can read it on her machine (which is one of the other XP Pro machines that could not read the 2 DVDs from yesterday).

Oh, and this friend has had the exact same problem with burning DVDs. Some can be seen, some can't. Her machine is only 2 months old. Mine is 11 months old. These are, for all intents and purposes, new computers (certainly hers is). So the drives should not be failing quite so soon.

I did some online research and found this discussion: http://www.winguides.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=genhardware&Number=121520&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&part= The thing of it is, the same problem was discussed in late '04 -- and that site still has not found a solution to the problem! Hence this is a known problem, at least known to some people.

Also, I checked for firmware upgrades and device driver upgrades. No dice. The reader is supposedly completely up to date.

The DVDs I have been using are all brand new, the stack was purchased maybe 2 months ago. It is called Fujifilm 100 pack DVD+R 4.7 GB/Go 120 Min, Disc for data and Video, up to 8x write speed. Now, I realize that I have been burning at a faster rate than the max, but 48x worked just fine for 4 DVDs, and then 32x worked just fine for the remaining DVD. So all of these speeds are way above 8x.

Therefore (sorry for the long story up there), I have 3 questions:
    [color=blue][b](1) Is there any way to keep this problem from happening? (2) Did reducing the write speed actually fix the problem, or was it just a coincidence that perhaps I had picked a better DVD out of the stack? and (3) Is there a "best" brand of DVD that maybe doesn't do this, or at least doesn't do this quite so often? I estimate that out of a pack of 100 DVDs, my friend and I have probably pitched a total of 8 or so of them because of this problem. This is a lousy failure rate, so if a packet of a different type of DVD costs a little more, it's worth it to my company if we can avoid tossing so many DVDs.
[/b][/color]

Thank you all, in advance. Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 731 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 07:57 am
Nemmind, it's fixed, you have to make sure to set the Roxio burner to 8X write speed and so far that's been working.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 11:28 am
I was going to say that there was no way you were burning DVDs at x48 !!
As far as I'm aware the fastest DVD burners are x16 and bloody unreliable at that speed.
Personally I don't burn DVDs at anything over x4 and as such I get no grief.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 01:44 pm
Hey Helio Smile

Exactly, I think what my colleague and I were doing was, we were clicking to get the recording started before the application had settled down and read the disc and probably also our systems, and determined which write speeds were even possible. Hence we started off with the recorder at a setting that was not possible for the disc (or at least not possible for our readers). But it's weird, you'd think it would've aborted the attempt to record. It's somewhat troubling that the app had no trouble making the recording or at least looking like it did. We ended up pitching quite a few DVDs due to this nonsense.
0 Replies