Is free will an illusion?

stuh505

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 03:46 pm
fresco:

Quote:
Wrong ! We don't know what "existence" or "reality" are ! See for example Einstein's quote on "reality" or a recent thread here on the possible equivalence of "information" and "reality".

We don't need to know what existence or reality are, nor do we need to understand why there are laws of physics or how they work, to understand that there are laws that seem to exist.

Quote:

But even if the reductionist argument about the illusion of free will is built on philosophical "naive realism" there may still be grounds for delimiting the concept to the status of "sociological functionality" rather than assigning it some theistic origin. In other words the concept fills the general need for "culpability" within a legal system subject of course to the counter arguments of "mitigating circumstances" within specific social microcosms.

Not sure what you are trying to say

Terry

Quote:
Maybe. It is possible that the mind (I mean the non-material sense of self that is generated when the brain is activated) can take all of the information that it has available, consider its options and their effects, and make the optimal choice in spite of its own penchant for making a different one.

Well, I don't know about the "optimal" choice...there is no way to say what is optimal when things like emotions etc have weight.

Also, I would definitely argue that the brain is not pre-wired to make decisions in a certain way...I am sure that the decisions at each point in time are the result of careful and complicated analysis of the situation.

This is what I took for granted when I posed the question, in fact. But if the brain is carefully considering the state of a situation and all its factors and emotions etc...the physical processes that allow this in-the-moment decision to be made are still adherent to the laws of physics, and therefore, your decisions are STILL deterministic.

The only way to breach this gap is if your thoughts are either not subject to the laws of physics which everything else we observe is, or if there are more fundamental laws behind the laws of quantum mechanics that allow for non-probabilistic, non-deterministic, "options."

Quote:
The mind uses neural networks that are probably more like chaotic systems than deterministic computer circuits,

False. The neural networks in our brains are highly deterministic and highly organized systems. Neural networks are special in that they can be configured to perform nearly any kind of operation given the same basic architecture...much like a computer can be configured to perform many different operations given the same binary architecture.

Neural networks work by simply propagating action potentials which are "electrical" signals (ions of positive and negative charge propagate diffusion through lipid membranes)...these signals travel from neuron to neuron via the synapses in dendritic trees, and the organization of these trees is not random at all.

There are many millions of neurons and you might think that practical functions only emerge out of the aggregate body, but this is actually false...even on the scale of individual neurons, their purposes are well-defined.

For instance, the retina is also composed of a neural network that is well understood:

photoreceptive neurons such as rods and cones are stimulated by the light focused onto them, then these signals are propagated to on-center retinal ganglion cells that collect localized signals in order to get a more reliable matrix of light and dark patterns...this in turn passes through the optic tract into the striate visual cortex where low-level vision processing occurs, whereby individual neurons are specifically wired to detect oriented lines of ganglion cell outputs.

Each individual synaptic weight in this process is important!

When you look at the seemingly random tree pattern of dendrites growing out of an axon you might be inclined to think that they just connect randomly to other neurons...what I am trying to illustrate is that is from from the case, every synaptic connection exists for a reason in order to carry out functions.

New

Computer models can successfully model the low-level interaction of neurons via action potentials, and it is clear that there is no room for alternate results to come out of the neural network given a certain set of inputs.

However...what if consciousness is not part of the network? For example, and just for example, what if there was another dimension where the laws of physics did not apply, and our consciousness was simply achieved through a link to this other dimension!
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 03:52 pm
stuh505 wrote:
fresco:

Quote:
Wrong ! We don't know what "existence" or "reality" are ! See for example Einstein's quote on "reality" or a recent thread here on the possible equivalence of "information" and "reality".

the situation.

This is what I took for granted when I posed the question, in fact. But if the brain is carefully considering the state of a situation and all its factors and emotions etc...the physical processes that allow this in-the-moment decision to be made are still adherent to the laws of physics, and therefore, your decisions are STILL deterministic.

The only way to breach this gap is if your thoughts are either not subject to the laws of physics which everything else we observe is, or if there are more fundamental laws behind the laws of quantum mechanics that allow for non-probabilistic, non-deterministic, "options."

Quote:
The mind uses neural networks that are probably more like chaotic systems than deterministic computer circuits,

False. The neural networks in our brains are highly deterministic and highly organized systems. Neural networks are special in that they can be configured to perform nearly any kind of operation given the same basic architecture...much like a computer can be configured to perform many different operations given the same binary architecture.

Neural networks work by simply propagating action potentials which are "electrical" signals (ions of positive and negative charge propagate diffusion through lipid membranes)...these signals travel from neuron to neuron via the synapses in dendritic trees, and the organization of these trees is not random at all.

There are many millions of neurons and you might think that practical functions only emerge out of the aggregate body, but this is actually false...even on the scale of individual neurons, their purposes are well-defined.

For instance, the retina is also composed of a neural network that is well understood:

photoreceptive neurons such as rods and cones are stimulated by the light focused onto them, then these signals are propagated to on-center retinal ganglion cells that collect localized signals in order to get a more reliable matrix of light and dark patterns...this in turn passes through the optic tract into the striate visual cortex where low-level vision processing occurs, whereby individual neurons are specifically wired to detect oriented lines of ganglion cell outputs.

Each individual synaptic weight in this process is important!

When you look at the seemingly random tree pattern of dendrites growing out of an axon you might be inclined to think that they just connect randomly to other neurons...what I am trying to illustrate is that is from from the case, every synaptic connection exists for a reason in order to carry out functions.

New

Computer models can successfully model the low-level interaction of neurons via action potentials, and it is clear that there is no room for alternate results to come out of the neural network given a certain set of inputs.

However...what if consciousness is not part of the network? For example, and just for example, what if there was another dimension where the laws of physics did not apply, and our consciousness was simply achieved through a link to this other dimension!

Now I see what you are up to. Your question on 'choice' was posed as an introduction to a popular but confused idea.

This should destroy your position: You cannot distinguish between 'I' and brain to be able to say 'I am controlled by my brain'.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 03:55 pm
John Jones,

The concepts of "I/we/us" are not relevant to this discussion and can be removed, leaving the same question:

"Can our brains make decisions that are non-deterministic?"

edit: please do not quote large bodies of text if you aren't going to use the quoted text in detail, because you only make the thread more difficult to read.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 04:15 pm
stuh505 wrote:
John Jones,

"Can our brains make decisions that are non-deterministic?"

edit: please do not quote large bodies of text if you aren't going to use the quoted text in detail, because you only make the thread more difficult to read.

Now I have to imagine a decision that no-one has made. What happens then is that this 'decision' of the brain then reduces to a material description of the brain at a particular point in time. But you cannot identify or distinguish a brain structure at one point of time from a brain structure at any other point of time - except in terms of structure. If you want to identify a brain structure in terms of 'choice' and not structure then you must introduce the concept of identity.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 05:01 pm
The state of an electrical circuit is defined by the precise locations of electrons within the circuit. This information can be abstracted in terms of voltage at each node and current between each node. In the same fashion, the precise locations of ions in the brain, or the voltage or current across synapses, can be used to define the state of the brain.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 09:06 pm
stuh, I'd be tempted to agree with your general principle if I didn't have a reasonable grasp of chaos and the science of complexity. Randomness happens everywhere (including at the synapse level) and that buggers up your theory.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 10:11 pm
Eorl,

I too am aware of the probabilistic laws which underly all of the seemingly deterministic laws...and have specifically addressed the implications of them in the context of this discussion several times in this thread, if you read it through.

edit: I'll be nice and quote myself for you.

Quote:
If you go down to a small enough scale, nothing can be predicted exactly...the laws are all probabilistic rather than deterministic...at least that is the predominant theory. I'll be honest, I don't believe in probabilistic laws...I believe in all the math, and that they work, but these laws were derived via experimentation and adopted because they worked...which could certainly be the case if there were further, extremely complicated and seemingly "random" deterministic laws that resulted in the appearance of probabilistic nature of things. Anyways, I'm going off on a tangent...whether you believe that the laws on a small scale are probabilistic or not doesn't really matter. There are still laws one way or the other.

A computer is able to generate seemingly random numbers but the algorithm is actually deterministic. All of the probabilistic laws that are believed by modern science are based on experimental results. Thus, if we did not understand the basis behind deterministic laws, they would appear probabilistic...and that is why we can still use these probabilistic equations effectively, in my opinion.

However, it doesn't matter if you consider the laws of nature to be probabilistic or deterministic. Either way does not allow for "free" choice.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 11:13 pm
I did read pretty much everything but I still disagree (I think)

Do you suggest that if it was possible to know all the information in the universe (ie everything) that it would follow that you would then know all of the future of the universe?

I would agree that you could if it wasn't for the chance problem getting in the way....the possible futures based on everytthing right now would become infinite in almost zero time from now.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 11:36 pm
Quote:
You and Ray seem perfectly happy to go along with a different definition of choice, saying that a choice is simply an action chosen by the brain -- the critical difference between these definitions being that in your definition, there is only one physically possible action that will be chosen by the brain from any particular state.

Your definition is perfectly acceptable, and perfectly logical. However, it makes our brains fundamentally equivalent to calculators!

No, it doesn't, because calculators do not have phenomenal being, as humans do. When we are making choices, we are ultimately choosing between things that are given to us through our senses and our reason. It kind of seem like, to me at least, that your definition is the one that is making our brain more like calculators.

I see that your argument lies in the assumption that for one, we could predict the outcome of any events or choices if we were to know the information, but the paradox is, in my opinion, that something within a system observing itself can not really determine the exact future of every event, for the observation made itself alters the course of events. I believe this is also a part of the uncertainty principle in Physics, that when we are observing something very very small, we are ultimately unable to tell another property of the matter (a.k.a. position) and that we may change the result of the observation by merely observing it.

Second, you seem to define choice as something that should be completely random. Choice, is, in general definition, a pick between possible things that a person is aware of. Randomness, if it were to mean the absence of cause and effect, may be non-existent, and as such, our choices may have arise from cause and effects that have been in motion over unlimited amount of time, but this does not mean that we do not have choice. Does it deteriorate our freedom? Certainly not. We, as human beings are already results of events that arise in our having a rational and sentient mind. We should of course, not forget phenomena, for the fact that we have is, a replicate of reality gathered through sensual observation and reasoning.

It has also been mentioned that randomness may also be a part of the universe, on the ground that quantum mechanics is... well... what can I say. It is possible, and I certainly would not leave it out of the realm of probable possibility.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 11:57 pm
stuh

You asked me to explain "social functionality"..... simply that "freedom" is a concept which functions within a semantic web of social relationships which no reductionism can "explain". Biolgical, and sociological phenomena cannot be reduced to mechanistic causality...this would be a "category mistake" after Gilbert Ryle.Indeed (a)the very concept of "causality" is problematic itself and (b) at such levelstelelogical explanation is the norm!

However, even if we throw out your simplistic reductionism, there may still be grounds for "illusion" since there are philosophical and cognitive arguments that "the self" is transient and lacks unity, even if such unity is subsumed or evoked for the purpose of social relationships.

Now it may be that all concepts from "electrons" to "God" are merely products of our social interactivity as mediated by language. This then re-focuses the argument towards the social functionality of the term "illusion" itself.....which of course brings us back to the issue of the nature of reality !

The key question may therefore be whether homo sapiens on his continuous "control trip" round "reality", hooked on his "laws" and "causality" medication, can ever see the wood for the trees. (I notice Ray hints at this above)
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 04:41 am
stuh505 wrote:
Einherjar, your explanation is quite clear...and the point you bring up is one that I have been considering.

I believe that the intuitive, and perhaps naive, definition of a choice would be a situation where there are multiple actions possible, and that your conscious mind is capable of choosing any one of those actions.

And employing a black box model of the brain that would be an aplicable definition.

stuh505 wrote:
You and Ray seem perfectly happy to go along with a different definition of choice, saying that a choice is simply an action chosen by the brain -- the critical difference between these definitions being that in your definition, there is only one physically possible action that will be chosen by the brain from any particular state.

Your definition is perfectly acceptable, and perfectly logical. However, it makes our brains fundamentally equivalent to calculators!

I see no problem with this.

stuh505 wrote:
This implication is difficult to accept for one simple reason: unlike calculators, we are self aware. Perhaps something about this mysterious self awareness actually allows the inner workings of our mind/consciousness to transcend the limitations of the laws of physics?

Or perhaps calculators can be self aware, and you just have trouble wrapping your mind around it. Computers have been programmed to run simulations of their own electrical circuits, and can easily be used to logg their own origins and history. It could be argued that these computers are more self aware than you are, who fail to even grasp the subtleties of your own machinations.

I think you need to present a proper definition of self awareness before you try to argue that it is incompatible with determinism.

stuh505 wrote:
It sounds kind of ridiculous...but I think the thought also has a somewhat compelling ring of truth to it. Remember that the laws of physics which we are so adherent to are merely the results of our measurements in experiments, and there are enough unanswered questions on the small scale that we don't know WHY these laws exist or HOW they really work, we simply know that they appear to work.

As they do indeed appear to work, consistently, I need a compelling argument to support the contention that they are suspended by self awareness, or that they need to be suspended in order to facilitate it.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 09:12 am
Ray:

Quote:
It kind of seem like, to me at least, that your definition is the one that is making our brain more like calculators.

The neural network part of our brain is functionally the same as a calculator. I think the question is, does consciousness simply come out of this or does it come out of something else.

Quote:
I see that your argument lies in the assumption that for one, we could predict the outcome of any events or choices if we were to know the information, but the paradox is, in my opinion, that something within a system observing itself can not really determine the exact future of every event, for the observation made itself alters the course of events

Feedback loops cannot possibly turn a deterministic problem into a non-deterministic one. Feedback loops are used extensively in Hopfield neural networks for example. In computers this is similar to race conditions, where we say we don't know what the result will be because it depends on which electrical signal gets there first…but if we know more specific details, we could always determine which one would get their first.

Quote:
It has also been mentioned that randomness may also be a part of the universe, on the ground that quantum mechanics is... well... what can I say. It is possible, and I certainly would not leave it out of the realm of probable possibility.

Yes, and the person who has mentioned this (starting in the first post and several times afterwards) has been me! Quantum mechanics do not change anything.

fresco:

Quote:
Biolgical, and sociological phenomena cannot be reduced to mechanistic causality...

Why do you say that?

Einherjar,

Quote:
And employing a black box model of the brain that would be an aplicable definition.

I'm very familiar with the black box concept, but I'm not sure what your point is about it.

Quote:
Or perhaps calculators can be self aware

Perhaps a calculator can be made to be self aware, but certainly they are not self aware now. A calculator does simply what it is programmed to do, and it is not programmed to be self aware. There is no fundamental difference between a calculator and a gear in a watch. There is critical step here that would elevate it from "inanimate" to "animate".

Quote:
I think you need to present a proper definition of self awareness before you try to argue that it is incompatible with determinism.

I use consciousness interchangeably with self awareness. This is always a difficult term to define but I think everyone agrees on what it is already! Consciousness is separate from the mind, it can be turned off while the mind continues to function somewhat…a person is really their consciousness, because without it they are just a body.

Quote:
As they do indeed appear to work, consistently, I need a compelling argument to support the contention that they are suspended by self awareness, or that they need to be suspended in order to facilitate it.

1) You think that our brains appear to work consistently? Here I disagree…it is not possible for people to predict the precise behaviors of other people. I think all the evidence, and intuition, imply that our brains do not work in a consistent and predictable fashion…which is why the concept that our brains MUST act this way due to physical laws is a difficult one to grasp!

2) Certainly, humans do not REQUIRE consciousness in order to function reasonably well. A computer can be programmed to function under many complex tasks simply be making very thorough condition checks in the code for every possible circumstance. A computer like this could be made to control humans. However, if there were a consciousness, the complexity of the code required would drop significantly. For instance, if a computer is programmed to not want to crash, and it has a consciousness that is able to perceive what is going on, the programmer would not have to worry about accounting for all the millions of conditions where crashing might occur…he could simply write this off to the computer making sure it doesn't do anything "stupid." In the same way, consciousness in a human mind would allow for the same behavior as a mind without consciousness…with perhaps a million times less complexity of code. So, I think that although consciousness may not be required for functional operation of a human, it may be that it is the simplest way for complex functional operation to be encoded.

Additionally, consciousness very well may allow for behavior that is not possible through non-conscious programming…by allowing the agent to perform tasks which it has not specifically been programmed for, in effect meaning that it is comparable to a program of infinite complexity.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 09:59 am
stuh,

If you are not familiar with objections to reductionism then start with attempting to "explain" the existence or functioning of "a blood cell" in terms of physics and chemistry. The level of discourse of biological functioning requires teleological statements about organization of "the whole" in order to explain the parts (and the whole is greater than the sum of the parts !)...it is a top down operation not a bottom up one. Now if you agree there are problems with blood cells, you might concede how much more problematic "neurons" and "consciousness" might be. (see for example Hammeroff on quantum consciousness for a glimpse of the quagmire !)
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 11:58 am
stuh505 wrote:
Quote:
And employing a black box model of the brain that would be an applicable definition.

I'm very familiar with the black box concept, but I'm not sure what your point is about it.

Never mind, doesn't make sense in English, and it was a sidetrack anyway.

stuh505 wrote:
Perhaps a calculator can be made to be self aware, but certainly they are not self aware now. A calculator does simply what it is programmed to do, and it is not programmed to be self aware. There is no fundamental difference between a calculator and a gear in a watch. There is critical step here that would elevate it from "inanimate" to "animate".

I propose that this distinction is artificial, or alt least subjective. We puny humans would not recognise "self-awareness" in binary code even if it was presented to us with labelling. We define self awareness on the basis of the subjective perception of existing, and since this definition does not enable us to determine whether something is self aware from the position of a spectator, we are unable to progress on this subject.

stuh505 wrote:
I use consciousness interchangeably with self awareness. This is always a difficult term to define but I think everyone agrees on what it is already! Consciousness is separate from the mind, it can be turned off while the mind continues to function somewhat…a person is really their consciousness, because without it they are just a body.

We may have a certain sense of what is meant by the word consciousness, but only as a subjective experience from the point of view of that which is conscious, and as an exercise of empathic projection. We need an objective minimalistic definition which can be applied by second and third parties.

stuh505 wrote:
Quote:
As they [the laws of physics] do indeed appear to work, consistently, I need a compelling argument to support the contention that they are suspended by self awareness, or that they need to be suspended in order to facilitate it.

1) You think that our brains appear to work consistently?

I was referring to the laws of physics, which you are suggesting needs to be suspended in order for self awareness to be possible.

stuh505 wrote:
Here I disagree…it is not possible for people to predict the precise behaviours of other people. I think all the evidence, and intuition, imply that our brains do not work in a consistent and predictable fashion…which is why the concept that our brains MUST act this way due to physical laws is a difficult one to grasp!

Hmm, I'm grasping it just fine. If you believe (as you have said you do) that the seemingly random behaviour of particles studied in quantum physics can be the product of complex deterministic functions, why can you not apply the same reasoning to the brain?

I have no intuitive problems with grasping the concept of our brains being deterministic, and my consciousness resulting from deterministic functions. And I do not see any evidence suggesting that the brain acts in a probabilistic fashion rather than in a highly complex uncharted deterministic one either.

stuh505 wrote:
2) Certainly, humans do not REQUIRE consciousness in order to function reasonably well. A computer can be programmed to function under many complex tasks simply be making very thorough condition checks in the code for every possible circumstance. A computer like this could be made to control humans. However, if there were a consciousness, the complexity of the code required would drop significantly. For instance, if a computer is programmed to not want to crash, and it has a consciousness that is able to perceive what is going on, the programmer would not have to worry about accounting for all the millions of conditions where crashing might occur…he could simply write this off to the computer making sure it doesn't do anything "stupid." In the same way, consciousness in a human mind would allow for the same behaviour as a mind without consciousness…with perhaps a million times less complexity of code. So, I think that although consciousness may not be required for functional operation of a human, it may be that it is the simplest way for complex functional operation to be encoded.

Modern day robots do this already. They extrapolate current movement a couple of seconds forwards, and change direction if the extrapolation results in a prediction of impact. It isn't even advanced code. The only hard part is image processing, if cameras are to be used to map three dimensional space, the rest I could write myself.

Still, I'm sure you won't consider my simple java programmes conscious, so what is the actual definition of consciousness? If it is defined by its functions and all its functions can be reproduced in a computer, then that computer is according to that definition conscious.

stuh505 wrote:
Additionally, consciousness very well may allow for behaviour that is not possible through non-conscious programming…by allowing the agent to perform tasks which it has not specifically been programmed for, in effect meaning that it is comparable to a program of infinite complexity.

Done already as well, watch a documentary about artificial intelligence and you'll se.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 12:36 pm
Quote:
I propose that this distinction is artificial, or alt least subjective.

I think that writing off consciousness to an intrinsic property of complex systems that does not have a definable distinction is a cop-out, because I think there is enough empirical evidence to show that consciousness can be separate from the rest of the mind.

Quote:
We puny humans would not recognise "self-awareness" in binary code even if it was presented to us with labelling.

It is entirely possible that consciousness relies on certain laws of physics which by nature are non-representable by turing machines.

Quote:
We may have a certain sense of what is meant by the word consciousness, but only as a subjective experience from the point of view of that which is conscious, and as an exercise of empathic projection. We need an objective minimalistic definition which can be applied by second and third parties.

Yeah, that would be nice...but without understanding how consciousness operates any attempt to define it would be subjective.

Quote:
I was referring to the laws of physics, which you are suggesting needs to be suspended in order for self awareness to be possible.

Ah, ok. Well, I am not suggesting that the laws of physics need to be suspended. I am suggesting that additional laws of physics currently unknown are probably required to explain them, and at the same time pointing out that the existing laws could still exist under the presence of additional laws which defy our wildest imaginations.

Quote:
Hmm, I'm grasping it just fine. If you believe (as you have said you do) that the seemingly random behaviour of particles studied in quantum physics can be the product of complex deterministic functions, why can you not apply the same reasoning to the brain?

I can conceptualize it, I just think that the implications of this require a radical new perspective, in which choice is not as free as most people might like to think.

Quote:
Modern day robots do this already. They extrapolate current movement a couple of seconds forwards, and change direction if the extrapolation results in a prediction of impact. It isn't even advanced code. The only hard part is image processing, if cameras are to be used to map three dimensional space, the rest I could write myself.

Sadly, I think you need a reality check on this subject. Our AI research is really quite unsophisticated, I find it quite embarrasing that so much progress has been made in other fields of technology while leaving the field of AI in the dulldrums.

Quote:
Still, I'm sure you won't consider my simple java programmes conscious, so what is the actual definition of consciousness? If it is defined by its functions and all its functions can be reproduced in a computer, then that computer is according to that definition conscious.

The concept of defining intelligence and or consciousness via functional outputs like the turing test is a mentallity that is best left for the early 19'th century...the definition of what we mean when we say consciousness does not even require the capacity to produce output or logical thought.

Quote:
Done already as well, watch a documentary about artificial intelligence and you'll se.

Haha, you'll need to do better than that...if there's something specific you're thinking of you'll need to cite that, because I'm not completely green to the field of AI! Most likely you're thinking of genetic algorithms and neural networks, but there are some real fundamental limitations there that don't even remotely approach a real brain's capability to act in new situations.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:18 pm
stuh505 wrote:
The state of an electrical circuit is defined by the precise locations of electrons within the circuit. This information can be abstracted in terms of voltage at each node and current between each node. In the same fashion, the precise locations of ions in the brain, or the voltage or current across synapses, can be used to define the state of the brain.

Let me rephrase and re-present the argument.
If I have a thought and I want to know if I am forced to make it, then I look at the the thought I had previously. So if I choose chocolate pudding over lemon, and I want to determine if I was forced into that decision, then I must consider if I had been forced. That is, if I had really wanted lemon but had to choose chocolate. Whatever the answer to that question it can be seen that choice is potentially available to me.

So here is your mistake, and the mistake that others are making here. Instead of looking at the thought to see if choice had been available to you, you suddenly switch to looking at the material brain. You then assume that as the brain is causal, so is the thought. This link between mind and matter is not a causal relationship, and such a causal relationship has never been established in any philosophy or science. You assume a causal relationship between mind and matter.

You also cannot specify a point in time in which the brain is 'making a decision' without making a non-material distinction to identify that point. Another author here made a similar point.

You don't have a sound conceptual grounding for the ideas you are promoting. I don't think these ideas come from philosophy; they seem to come from the sciences. This won't stop everyone from pursuing them, pointlessly.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 03:09 pm
JJ wrote-

Quote:
. You assume a causal relationship between mind and matter.

Not me mate.Ridiculous idea.Mind is matter.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 06:45 pm
John, I'm sorry but it appears that this entire discussion is just over your head...
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 10:33 pm
Quote:
The neural network part of our brain is functionally the same as a calculator. I think the question is, does consciousness simply come out of this or does it come out of something else.

You are over-simplifying this. Calculators dont' use neurotransmitters, nor are there neurons within calculators. Also, calculators are a lot simpler than the human brain.

Quote:
Feedback loops cannot possibly turn a deterministic problem into a non-deterministic one. Feedback loops are used extensively in Hopfield neural networks for example. In computers this is similar to race conditions, where we say we don't know what the result will be because it depends on which electrical signal gets there first…but if we know more specific details, we could always determine which one would get their first.

Stuh, let's say you see yourself doing a certain thing in the future, now say you know this, and you decide to do something else than what you saw yourself doing in the future. Is there not a paradox in this situation?

And when we are observing particles with light, we are interacting with it, and we may have change its position or energy.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 11:50 pm
Stuh

Quote:
John, I'm sorry but it appears that this entire discussion is just over your head...

...that seems a little ironic when you dont seem understand the classic objections to reductionism...or perhaps you simply dont have the appropriate circuitry and feedback loops to handle such ideas Smile

Joking aside, the major mistake you seem to make with your argument stuh is that you assume "free will" to be a concept embodied within the physical boundaries of "the individual" when in fact it functions as a node within a social situation include self arguing with self ! So the concept can no more be reduced to "mechanisms" than other more traditionally "social" constructs such as "nation" because the system boundaries have a much greater universe of discourse than your own assumptions allow. (My own argument that such discourse should be extended to physicality itself is besides the point)
0 Replies