Should we become the world's nuclear waste repository?

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 06:37 pm
In the last couple of days I've seen Bob Hawke come out lauding the idea of Australia taking on the world's nuclear waste.

His key points seem to be:

1) It has to go somewhere
2) We have the most geologically stable continent
3) We are politically stable

He dismisses the naysayers as 'emotional', 'illogical', 'ignorant'.

Today Andrew Bolt (Herald Sun) came out swinging for the idea too, using the same sort of arguments about 'silly greens' and calling for a debate.

I smell a big business/big politics rat. (Bolt is a Rupert Murdoch boy, Hawke is 'consulting' tart). I want to know who's making the '10 Billion Dollars' and who's funding this sudden lobbying? Little Johnny was making noises about dumping this stuff in South Oz a few years back and then it went quiet. I feel like whoever's behind this is trying to sway public opinion and distancing the ensuing debate from the government's agenda.

Anyone who knows more about this please share it. Opinions also welcome. I might even chuck my own in if they aren't covered.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 667 • Replies: 2
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 06:50 pm
Im more in favor of cannistering it up and feeding it into a major subduction zone. "Geologically stable" is a fleeting condition since Australia is creeping towards Indonesia at about 4 cm per year. Theres gonna be a big cordillera in West AUstralia in 10 million years or so.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 06:55 pm
10 Million Years? Geez, I'll be an old man by then!
0 Replies