Putting down violent dogs

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 04:26 am
I saw a programme last night were a dog attacked a person for breaking into the car it was in.
The dog had to be put down.

I know this is a bit blunt but why is this principle applied to animals and not humans as well?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,056 • Replies: 10
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 08:00 am
Re: Putting down violent dogs
material girl wrote:
I saw a programme last night were a dog attacked a person for breaking into the car it was in.
The dog had to be put down.

I know this is a bit blunt but why is this principle applied to animals and not humans as well?

Because humans aren't dogs.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 08:26 am
But its a living thing.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 08:27 am
why was the guy breaking into the car? was he trying to help the dog get some air, or just plain trying to steal the car?

puzzling.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 08:33 am
Stealing the car (it was a rom/com on tv)

Surely a dog can be violent or more violent than a human so why arnt humans put down?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 08:41 am
damn, aren't dog trained to protect property? why the heck was the dog put down? the human surely deserved it to get his behind bitter good.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 08:41 am
'bitten', of course. bitten good.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 08:51 am
Thats what I think, the theif got what he deserved.

I think its a law over here, if a pet attacks a human its immediately destroyed!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:53 am
In this particular case, I don't think the dog should be put down. He was protecting his territory. This is a little different than an unprovoked attack where a dog is simply uncontrollable. The dog was restrained - the man was where he shouldn't be.

However, I do support having a violent animal being put down - but this is more in the case, like what happened yesterday at a bus stop. A dog (pit bull) just ran up and attacked a boy while he was boarding the bus stop.

I wonder material girl, if the dog was protecting an owner from some one else (i.e. some one attacked the owner, the dog bit the attacker) if it would be looked at differently.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 02:04 pm
We put dogs down and not ourselves for offences,which is something a dog can't commit,because we can do.We have dominion over the animals silly.It's in the Bible for God's sake.

That's what a religious fundamentalist would say anyway.Scientists get all confused on the issue.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 02:18 pm
I too think it was unfair that the dog was put down for simply doing what it was told to do; protect property. If the man had broken into the house with the intent to kill the family and the dog attacked, would we be having this same discussion?
0 Replies