Don1

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 04:09 pm
In The Shining when Jack Torrance walks into the bar/ballroom and it is full of people drinking and dancing, what is the music that is playing?

If you can answer this you are a superstar.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,706 • Replies: 12
No top replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 06:04 pm
According to Shining Music, there are two songs that play during the ballroom dream sequence.

The first is "Midnight, the Stars and You" by Ray Noble & his Orchestra, Al Bowlly vocal. Recorded in 1932.

The second is "It's All Forgotten Now" by Ray Noble & his Orchestra, Al Bowlly vocal. Recorded in 1932.

You need RealPlayer to play the music stream links.

Yours truly, Superstar InfraBlue
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 06:06 pm
I was guessing one of those Wendy Carlo moog things.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 06:08 pm
I heard of the film, of course, and always wanted to ask, "The Shining WHAT?, fer crissake"
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 06:45 pm
InfraBlue, you are a superstar, if I ever pass by your way in Texas I'll buy you the biggest T bone in town, or if you're a veggie the biggest quiche. Very Happy
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 07:55 am
Great research, InfraBlue. My Mom and Dad who were self-described dance hall bums danced to the music of Ray Noble. My Dad has since passed away but if I rummaged through his CD's, I bet I could find the songs you've listed.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 07:59 am
roger wrote:
I heard of the film, of course, and always wanted to ask, "The Shining WHAT?, fer crissake"

The 'Shining' is the name given to the gift of being able to see into the future.Mr Holoran and Danny had the gift.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 08:03 am
Ray Noble wrote 2 of jazz's most enduring tunes.
Cherokee and The Very Thought Of You. Thanks for the arcana
0 Replies

Rumsfeld

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:32 pm
material girl wrote:
roger wrote:

The 'Shining' is the name given to the gift of being able to see into the future.Mr Holoran and Danny had the gift.

But was it really a gift? And if so, what good did it do either of them in the end? Scatman got imbedded with an axe and was never able to save Danny. He was saved by his own resourcefulness.

Frankly, I don't think ANYTHING supernatural was ever actually supposed to have occurred in that movie. It was all about the madness. Screw the book; the film was its own entity and was far superior to the mediocrity penned by King.

--Rumsfeld
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 11:07 pm
It's a gift and a curse.

It's still King's most literate book and I have never figured out what was expected of the film. Kubrick is like a great conductor putting their own edge on a composition. I disagree that the book is mediocre, although the rest of King's work are examples of manufacturing concepts that don't quite achieve the level of the great masters of horror or fantasy fiction.

There are few directors who can achieve the visuals that make truly great cinema like Kubrick. He's never been conventional and bravo.

BTW, welcome to A2K and the film forum, Rumsfeld. Is Dracula far behind?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 11:08 pm
(Oh, I'm sorry, that's Renfield).
0 Replies

Monkeon

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 05:16 am
Rumsfeld wrote:
material girl wrote:
roger wrote:

But was it really a gift? And if so, what good did it do either of them in the end? Scatman got imbedded with an axe and was never able to save Danny. He was saved by his own resourcefulness.

Frankly, I don't think ANYTHING supernatural was ever actually supposed to have occurred in that movie. It was all about the madness. Screw the book; the film was its own entity and was far superior to the mediocrity penned by King.

--Rumsfeld

I think the shining was a gift in the end. Danny was able to contact Holoran for help, who was not completely useless in saving them. (He brought a Snow-Cat for their escape from the Hotel).
The shining (or Tony the alter ego) also alerted Danny to the fact that his father was intent on killing him. "REDRUM"

As for the film being totally psychological and not at all supernatural, I strongly disagree. Don't forget that it was the supposed ghost of the waiter Delbert Grady who unlocked the store room and set Jack free so that he could carry out his murderous plan.

For me it was quite interesting to see that the hotel was in itself evil, and was intent on self preservation by possessing it's inhabitants.
(The previous Caretaker killed his daughters for trying to burn the hotel down, and then killed his wife who tried to stop him).

The real question for me is, what is the link between the present day Jack and the past Jack shown in the old photo at the end of the film.
It's seems that they are the same person, because Jack already knows the ghostly bartender Lloyd....Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Is Jack himself a ghost with no recollection of his past (accept for Lloyd)?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 10:11 am
The book is clearer that Danny had the extra-sensory gift of the shining in the beginning of the novel. He was having the abrupt terrible visions, most of them apparantly out of Jack's mind and one of them being "REDRUM."

Kubrick's ending, as I stated, was more enigmatic than King's. Jack could also be a resurrection from the murderous caretaker which, depending on interpretation, could have made him a ghost at one time. He was definitely back in the state of flesh-and-blood during the story. I could also be interpreted that the hotel possessed him, turning him into the persona of the previous caretaker. Jack is quite frozen at that point.
The photo attests to his connection to the hotel.
0 Replies