How to copy IE Favorites to new computer?

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 10:29 pm
How do I copy my IE Favorites to another computer? I'd really hate to have to write down the URLs of 100+ websites in my Favs.

Thanks,
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,243 • Replies: 4
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 10:57 pm
From the old machine, copy the folder C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name here>\Favorites to removable media, then take that media to the new computer, find or establish the C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name here> folder (when you've created a profile on the new machine, the folder with your user name will be there), and overwrite the existing default Favorites folder with the one you saved to removable media. Alternately, you can open the Favorites folder on the old machine, select just the URLS you've added, not the default daughter folders, copy those to removeable media, take the removable media to the new machine, and copy the URLS to the Favorites folder under your user name ( C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name here>\Favorites ). A third method, if the machines are networked, is just to directly copy from machine to machine.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 08:43 pm
Um, you should not do it that way if possible.

There is a built in import/export function that can avoid some errors.

You can access this under File > Import and Export in I.E.

It will generate a nice HTML list of the bookmarks and then you move a single file over from which you can import them.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 09:33 pm
I prefer Craven's method to transfer the favourites. Although, both methods will work.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 10:06 pm
Craven's is neater - prolly easier, too.
0 Replies