Who did you want to be like?

sozobe

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 09:20 pm
Hmm, two people who come to mind are kind of opposite ends of the same spectrum. My aunt M was a brilliant, gorgeous, globe-trotting, famous award-winner in her field. She knew and captivated all kinds of intellectuals and luminaries of her time. Her home, in San Francisco, was a riot of color, art, animals, and the bustling social lives of her four daughters (my cousins). She was always late, always in a rush, always chain-smoking, and always surrounded by beauty of one kind or another. She was interested in me, focused on me when we were together in a way that was deeply flattering and energizing. (This was a person who was a close personal friend of Isaac Bashevis Singer, to name one, and here she was hanging on MY every word...!)

The other is the mom of one of my best friends growing up. I spent an inordinate amount of time at their house. (One of those things that, looking back, I'm embarrassed at what had to have been intrusiveness -- I ate at their house far, far more than my friend ate at mine. But I didn't feel any of that as a kid.) P was a stay-at-home mom, super-organized, endlessly cool -- she could bake cookies in the morning and then smoke everyone in a skating race in the afternoon (she'd been a champion speed skater). If it takes a village to raise a child, she had a lot to do with raising me, and I learned a ton from her.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 09:40 pm
I know you dismiss my wanting to be audrey hepburn for five minutes, and that is your lack of perspicacity.

However, five minutes later as well as before, I was off on other routes.

James Madison, James Monroe (some books in fourth grade...)
Sister Mel, who took the class out on spring mornings to play baseball, in St. Nicholas grade school schoolyard.
Well, I guess I never wanted to be exactly her. Still, she was a sort of model.

My dad, I always got him and his interests and his depression and end of life as well.
Harder to tune to my mother, who I was quite naturally aligned against for my own later sanity, and years later I see I should have paid more attention.

As to an actual model - when I wanted to go to med school while I was working batches of hours after school and on weekends and had a mostly romantic view of medschool? I had no models. Women didn't get in, usually, pre 1965, and me either.

On models for the rest of life, I was confused. I know this is like an outer space sentence for most here, but I didn't think, because of my schooling, that a woman could have a career and also be married. Oh, don't get me started... took me a while to wake up.

When I remember some models, I'll post.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 09:45 pm
I'm on the same wavelength as gus on this one; many people had an influence on me, but the person that I wanted to become never happened. I just turned out to be a person with a hard life during my youth, but everything turned out much better than a dream in my adult life. I barely graduated from high school, but managed to get a college degree after serving in the US Air Force for four years in the late fifties. Ended up marrying a smart woman (graduated high school, nursing school, and college with honors). I worked in management during most of my professional career, and enjoyed my jobs in commercial enterprise and nonprofits before retiring early in 1998. We're not rich, but financially secure, and I'm now enjoying my hobby of world travel and photography. I have friends all over the world, and many across the US. I've just been a lucky guy, and blessed.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 10:00 pm
When I was a little girl I had a neighbor who was an old man. He had been a merchant marine, and had traveled, especially around war time. He would have us kids from the neighborhood go around and collect things other people did not want. For this he would give us payola (change), and he always had his frig. full of cookies, melons, and yoohoo. The kids in the neighborhood were always welcome to come by after school, and take anything from the frig. I always stayed and kept him company.

Mr. Santos lived alone in a four bedroom railroad apartment, and it was full of boxes. The boxes had clothes, shoes, and kitchen stuff. These boxes he would mail across the sea to orphanages, and churches. He did this with his own money.

My favorite time with mr. Santos was when we sat at the kitchen table after dinner, and he would tell me stories of what he had seen in war time. Children taking care of children, living anywhere they could find, and felt safe. I would read the letters he received from Mon señor so and so or Mother superior so and so thanking him for the things he sent them, and the money he sent them too.

Mr Santos taught me many things: How to make Jewish penicillin ( special chicken soup), the love of classical music, and most important the hands on involvement we each can have in helping our fellow man. I will never forget him, and I try to honor his memory by trying to imitate him.

I love that funny looking little old man, and I will never forget him.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 10:06 pm
Quote:
So, are you strong and kind?

Yes...I have always been kind. I'd help anyone in need. But as most, I do have my limits. You can only help those that will help themselves.

And I didn't learn to be strong till a few years ago. I was always strong minded, but I was weak in other areas, till I learned who I was. Once I achieved that, you betcha! Strong didn't come until I learned to have the self-confidence in many areas that I was lacking in.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 10:16 pm
Who would I like to be like? Nobody.
JLNobody
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 10:23 pm
JLN fits Nobody perfectly!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 12:47 am
kickycan wrote:
I wanted to be like my grampa. He was always so funny and even though he annoyed the **** out of most of the family, they all still felt the love that shined from him. That's who I always wanted to be. Alas, to be annoying in an endearing way, you have to have people around you who have at least some brain power so that they "get" you. Unfortunately, my sister-in-law, the f*cking self-obsessed domineering know-it-all hateful bitch, has ruined all that for me. It's a thin line from charming jokester to uncle weirdo. I hate that bitch so much.

But I digress.

Goodness, Kicky, you didn't oughter hold it in like that!!! Let it out, man, let it out...

Still a nasty sore in yer heart, eh? No signs of her going away?

Are you like your grandpa to people other than your family, though, do you think?

Like, er, maybe US?

sozobe wrote:
Hmm, two people who come to mind are kind of opposite ends of the same spectrum. My aunt M was a brilliant, gorgeous, globe-trotting, famous award-winner in her field. She knew and captivated all kinds of intellectuals and luminaries of her time. Her home, in San Francisco, was a riot of color, art, animals, and the bustling social lives of her four daughters (my cousins). She was always late, always in a rush, always chain-smoking, and always surrounded by beauty of one kind or another. She was interested in me, focused on me when we were together in a way that was deeply flattering and energizing. (This was a person who was a close personal friend of Isaac Bashevis Singer, to name one, and here she was hanging on MY every word...!)

The other is the mom of one of my best friends growing up. I spent an inordinate amount of time at their house. (One of those things that, looking back, I'm embarrassed at what had to have been intrusiveness -- I ate at their house far, far more than my friend ate at mine. But I didn't feel any of that as a kid.) P was a stay-at-home mom, super-organized, endlessly cool -- she could bake cookies in the morning and then smoke everyone in a skating race in the afternoon (she'd been a champion speed skater). If it takes a village to raise a child, she had a lot to do with raising me, and I learned a ton from her.

Wow, nurture (earth) and art and intellect and pizazz (fire): what a balance!

How have they affected you? What of them do you think you carry in you?

ossobuco wrote:
I know you dismiss my wanting to be audrey hepburn for five minutes, and that is your lack of perspicacity.

However, five minutes later as well as before, I was off on other routes.

James Madison, James Monroe (some books in fourth grade...)
Sister Mel, who took the class out on spring mornings to play baseball, in St. Nicholas grade school schoolyard.
Well, I guess I never wanted to be exactly her. Still, she was a sort of model.

My dad, I always got him and his interests and his depression and end of life as well.
Harder to tune to my mother, who I was quite naturally aligned against for my own later sanity, and years later I see I should have paid more attention.

As to an actual model - when I wanted to go to med school while I was working batches of hours after school and on weekends and had a mostly romantic view of medschool? I had no models. Women didn't get in, usually, pre 1965, and me either.

On models for the rest of life, I was confused. I know this is like an outer space sentence for most here, but I didn't think, because of my schooling, that a woman could have a career and also be married. Oh, don't get me started... took me a while to wake up.

When I remember some models, I'll post.

Hmmm, mebbe not models, so much, then, but people who were important in you coming to be who you are as a person...where you got nurture and inspiration....

cicerone imposter wrote:
I'm on the same wavelength as gus on this one; many people had an influence on me, but the person that I wanted to become never happened. I just turned out to be a person with a hard life during my youth, but everything turned out much better than a dream in my adult life. I barely graduated from high school, but managed to get a college degree after serving in the US Air Force for four years in the late fifties. Ended up marrying a smart woman (graduated high school, nursing school, and college with honors). I worked in management during most of my professional career, and enjoyed my jobs in commercial enterprise and nonprofits before retiring early in 1998. We're not rich, but financially secure, and I'm now enjoying my hobby of world travel and photography. I have friends all over the world, and many across the US. I've just been a lucky guy, and blessed.

Hmmm, mebbe your wife has ade the most difference to you?

AngeliqueEast wrote:
When I was a little girl I had a neighbor who was an old man. He had been a merchant marine, and had traveled, especially around war time. He would have us kids from the neighborhood go around and collect things other people did not want. For this he would give us payola (change), and he always had his frig. full of cookies, melons, and yoohoo. The kids in the neighborhood were always welcome to come by after school, and take anything from the frig. I always stayed and kept him company.

Mr. Santos lived alone in a four bedroom railroad apartment, and it was full of boxes. The boxes had clothes, shoes, and kitchen stuff. These boxes he would mail across the sea to orphanages, and churches. He did this with his own money.

My favorite time with mr. Santos was when we sat at the kitchen table after dinner, and he would tell me stories of what he had seen in war time. Children taking care of children, living anywhere they could find, and felt safe. I would read the letters he received from Mon señor so and so or Mother superior so and so thanking him for the things he sent them, and the money he sent them too.

Mr Santos taught me many things: How to make Jewish penicillin ( special chicken soup), the love of classical music, and most important the hands on involvement we each can have in helping our fellow man. I will never forget him, and I try to honor his memory by trying to imitate him.

Hmmm, an important person in YOUR "village".

JLNobody wrote:
Who would I like to be like? Nobody.
JLNobody

Ha!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 02:36 am
dlowan wrote:

Sturgis wrote:
I have to admit that there was no one particular person I strove to be like. Sure there were bits and pieces of several different folks who made an impact on me and who I wanted to be like in some way. That's about where it ended and soon life took me on my own route which since these people had been part of my existence; incorporated their ideas and ways.

In order it would be as follows:
1)dear old Grampa, a sweet man who was something of a protector of me.
2)My 6th grade teacher...first person to get me to understand the value of studying.
3)my electronics teacher from high school (he had the dubious honor of telling me how my father had died).
4)A Boy Scout Troop leader...he was killed this past Spring by a reckless driver and I can still hear his voice and advice.
5)The minister of a local church, he helped me get through some rough patchs after my father's death (I was only in my teens).

I am sure there are others but these are the ones who hit into my mind first.

Wow! Are bits and pieces of you like them?

Parts of me are connected to the past...I am not as sweet or as protecting as my Grampa however I try my best to be, I became a teacher to help young persons learn the fun part of the value of learning, the others are intertwined into my being due to their kind natures and gentle souls.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 03:29 am
dlowan wrote:

AngeliqueEast wrote:

Hmmm, an important person in YOUR "village".

Yes he was, and I'm very grateful to have known him. Many children today need more Mr. Santos in their life. But, today you have to be very careful who you allow near your children.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 05:31 am
I can't recall that I ever, at any point in my life, wanted to be anybody but myself. I wanted to be liked so I may have, from time to time, adjusted my behavior patterns to mirror those of people who were liked and admired in my peer group. But that, in no sense, meant that I wanted to be them. And most of that behavior modification was subconcious.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 05:53 am
Always just wanted to be Olga, but would have liked to have done it a bit better. Oh well ....
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 06:16 am
I unfortunately never admired or desired to emulate any "real"people I came in contact with in my formative years. Quite the opposite.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 06:18 am
What, you never wanted to be Mick Jagger #2, bvt? :wink:
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 06:20 am
Ms. buns specified no rock stars.....
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 06:20 am
Ms. buns specified no rock stars.....
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 06:23 am
Come to think of it, I have had several people in my life that have inspired me, and I will never forget them. And, this is not counting my parents who were the first.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 06:23 am
That's a bit limiting! For a performer, I mean. Oh well, never mind ....
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 06:32 am
dlowan wrote:
kickycan wrote:
I wanted to be like my grampa. He was always so funny and even though he annoyed the **** out of most of the family, they all still felt the love that shined from him. That's who I always wanted to be. Alas, to be annoying in an endearing way, you have to have people around you who have at least some brain power so that they "get" you. Unfortunately, my sister-in-law, the f*cking self-obsessed domineering know-it-all hateful bitch, has ruined all that for me. It's a thin line from charming jokester to uncle weirdo. I hate that bitch so much.

But I digress.

Goodness, Kicky, you didn't oughter hold it in like that!!! Let it out, man, let it out...

Still a nasty sore in yer heart, eh? No signs of her going away?

Are you like your grandpa to people other than your family, though, do you think?

Like, er, maybe US?

Thanks for that response. Yes, in many ways, I do feel like I am like him, even if I can't seem to deal with this one person. It's not really all that bad. Well, actually it is, but I don't let it bother me all the time, at least.

But I really do digress.

On with the thread...
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 09:08 am
Mum knew things. She was/is interested in *stuff.* She took a welding course more than 45 years ago so she could make a double baby carriage. Dad laughed, I think. Pushed us proudly. I covet the fireplace irons.

She made fabulous birthday cakes and insisted we start our birthdays with presents in bed.

Bundled me up with a smile and a tickle and took me home from the corner where I was crying, after I ran away because of piano lessons.

She kept me home from school for a "mental health day" more than thirty years ago. A proponent of balance. She noticed things.

Thoughtful. Fair-minded. Equalitarian. Courteous. Diligent.

Innovative. Progressive. Independent, too.

She came home after winter one year, in her late sixties, with pierced ears.

Took up pottery a year later, but all the nudes she made for her garden have the suggestion of little bathing suits. She looked me in the eye and gave a quick tiny shake of her head, her lips pressed tightly to suppress her smile, when I laughed in delight at this discovery of her prudishness. She bought a kiln and now throws great gobs of clay at the wall. I like to think of that.

My husband thinks I'm too much like her (I've avoided listing the less than ideal stories or aspects - we had our share of dysfunction, too) but I can truthfully say I never deliberately tried to emulate her growing up. I was far too self absorbed for that. It wasn't until I had a child of my own to care for that I began to make deliberate decisions about what I would keep, and what I would kick to the curb.

Dad had his own, glorious story. I try, and have tried since my early twenties to incorporate more of his quiet kindness into my daily living. It's a hard slog sometimes. He might find me lacking, if he were still alive. I'm not quite sure how well he liked me, though I never doubted how much he loved me. I miss him. I changed forever the day he died.

Which brings me to the friends: Jennifer threw caution to the wind, a bad girl of sorts who led me by the nose down a rather wild path for several years, but had the loyalty gene sewed up.

And Larry, who I married when I was in my late thirties. A very intelligent, but wild party guy, who showed me what self-discipline means…when he packed in drugs and alcohol. He earned a psyche degree in his late thirties, with only grade eight to draw on. Dean's list -he made it look easy, too. And fun. He also wouldn't/won't let me boss him around. That taught me how to say "no." A true gift for those who are guilt motivated.

Add the folks on these boards, too. There is much to admire and strive to incorporate…in addition to a fine sampling of what to avoid...good lessons, all, if only I would heed them.

What about you?
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/06/2024 at 08:25:26